New Additions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

New Additions

Well I got two more bettas tonight.They are both mainly white...but one has abit of red coloration and the other has abit of blue coloration.They are really nice looking.I have no names yet tho.It was buy one,get one free and thats why I have two!!

I wasn't impressed with the way the bettas were kept tho...as usual.They were kept in those stupid cups...however the cups were evaporating and had even less water then usual in them and they were dirty.Most of the bettas were depressed looking,because they couldn't move.

I had the tanks already set up before hand,as I knew I would be getting bettas a couple of days ago and right when I put them in,they seemed overwhelemed with the space they suddenly had.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Awws, my Amystika had a bit of blue like that (RIP Amystika)
I can see me buying more aquariums to get more bettas Aren't they the bestest fish?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Awws, my Amystika had a bit of blue like that (RIP Amystika)
I can see me buying more aquariums to get more bettas Aren't they the bestest fish?
Yep! LOVES them!!You will need more tanks,because once you see the buy one,get one sale on fishies and bettas...then you will be hooked.LOL...they sell the bettas for $4.99,so basically you get 2 for one!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I decided on names...the white/blue one is Illusion (thats what mom and my sister named their new kitten and I like it) and the white/red one is Mesmarize.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 AM

I love both names !
Post pics of your fish setup in the near future!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I love both names !
Post pics of your fish setup in the near future!!
I want to,but can't seem to get good tank or fish pictures.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

GOOD NAMES!! I think that dream with Betta's all over was a preminition

Try to take the picture outside on a sunny day, and we have been getting many of those lately, huh? Eerie and scary how warm it is!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats on the new additions!

Do you have a digital camera? Try taking the picture with the lights off and only the aquarium lights left on.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i would really like to see pics too!, how big are the tanks you re housing them in?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Actually they are in 2 gallons...the smallest I would ever house them in.

I do have a digital camera,but it is not the best for indoor pics unless there is ALOT of light,it is greyt for outdoor pics tho.I can never get a good pic of fish,I need a good camera for that.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Quick question, do you put them together or are they seperate?
I remember reading about an experiment where they put two in a lake together and they still were at each other =x But I hear that at controlled temperatures they're ok. (I would be too paranoid to do that XD)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
Quick question, do you put them together or are they seperate?
I remember reading about an experiment where they put two in a lake together and they still were at each other =x But I hear that at controlled temperatures they're ok. (I would be too paranoid to do that XD)
Where did you hear that? Temperature doesn't matter...that's the craziest thing I've ever heard .

In a huge tank occasionally males can get along but it isn't recommended. Temperature doesn't have anything to do with it. Except maybe if it was really, really cold they'd be so lethargic they wouldn't be able to fight...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 PM

From a pet store I think, and it's not all that craZy, colder temperatures do mellow animals out.
*reads the rest of post*
You're not nesscearly lathergic when when colder weather slows you down, lathergy is like a x__x *float*
Not trying to say what they said is true, but it's plausiable. There are much much more craZier things in this world that are true.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
From a pet store I think, and it's not all that craZy, colder temperatures do mellow animals out.
*reads the rest of post*
You're not nesscearly lathergic when when colder weather slows you down, lathergy is like a x__x *float*
Not trying to say what they said is true, but it's plausiable. There are much much more craZier things in this world that are true.
Yeah, cooler temperatures "mellow them out" because fish are cold-blooded and can't regulate their own body temperatures; unlike humans. So cold temperatures for us just make us a bit chilly while it could kill a fish.

Bettas are tropical fish that require temperatures around 78 degrees. Lower then 70 degrees should be avoided at all costs and the fish can go into shock and die at temperatures lower then 65. So a betta kept in the high 60's would probably not fight because it wouldn't have the stregnth...and would probably be slowly dying.

Even if it does make fish "calmer" it's cruel to force them to live in such cold temperatures.

I wouldn't listen to a petstore for advice, either, because most don't know what they're talking about...'specially when it comes to bettas. They were probably just saying that so people would buy multiple males .

~Stephanie

Tags
pet store, tropical fish