New Aquarium - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

New Aquarium

Today for Christmas I got a 10-gallon aquarium!!!

The problem is that I don't know what to put in it .

I'm thinking female bettas, fancy guppies, or some sort of amphibian. Padfoot also makes me want crabs .

So, any suggestions or good links on cycling tanks?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:39 PM

What about some mollies? They're really cute and fun to watch and come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors.
I wish you the best of luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
What about some mollies? They're really cute and fun to watch and come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors.
I wish you the best of luck!
That's true, I forgot about those guys. I like the dalmation ones .

Although they eat everything .

And thanks . I'm kinda nervous, all my tanks have been five gallons or less so I've never cycled a tank before.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:50 PM

I think our tank is 10, or maybe 20 gallons. My mom and brother were able to set it up fairly easily and they had no problems. We have dalmation mollies in our tank right now, they're so fun to watch!
I'm sure you'll do fine!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I think our tank is 10, or maybe 20 gallons. My mom and brother were able to set it up fairly easily and they had no problems. We have dalmation mollies in our tank right now, they're so fun to watch!
I'm sure you'll do fine!
Thanks .

I can't wait to go to the petstore and buy all the decorations and everything .

~Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:22 PM

That's always my favorite part!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
That's always my favorite part!
I figured that .

I'm also considering getting newts, thought that might be fun . I always wanted them.

This is so hard...too many choices, lol.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM

Hahaha, crabbies crabs are fun. 8) My little male likes to wave his claw on top of the drifpwood... looks like he's directing an orchestra... haha

As far as fish goes... I like guppies, they are very colorful and fairly easy to care for. Also zebras, scissord-tail razboras, cherry barbs, and black widow tetras are pretty easy and very pretty fish (I like tiny tetras and tropical fish... hehe). Slighly more delicate fish, but very pretty are neon tetras and rummy noses... those are pretty much some of my favorite fish (and the ones I have at my aquarium... haha)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Hahaha, crabbies crabs are fun. 8) My little male likes to wave his claw on top of the drifpwood... looks like he's directing an orchestra... haha

As far as fish goes... I like guppies, they are very colorful and fairly easy to care for. Also zebras, scissord-tail razboras, cherry barbs, and black widow tetras are pretty easy and very pretty fish (I like tiny tetras and tropical fish... hehe). Slighly more delicate fish, but very pretty are neon tetras and rummy noses... those are pretty much some of my favorite fish (and the ones I have at my aquarium... haha)
Do you have the crabs alone? It seems like the tank would look rather empty with just a pair of crabs since I'd imagine they like to hide. Of course, we just have hermit crabs, whom are very different .

Guppies are cool, my friend used to breed them.

I'm still leaning towards newts, though. No cycling involved, lol. But I'm changing my mind constantly .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 AM

Yup, I have the crabs alone... I want to research about adding a small fish or 2, later, when I get more sand and I can raise the water level 1.5 more gallons. They do like to hide, but they come out often to do strange things... lol This is my first time having crabs.. I would like a hermit later. 8)

I like newts too. I want some, but I just haven't been able to find them. About newt, they need cooler water than fish, in a ten gal. you could keep 1.... 2 tops, depending on the species you get. They need a land part also, so you have to think about that... I like floating islands. If you do a search, you'll find some cool ideas on how to make them with foam and stuff...

Does it has to be water environment? How about a terrarium... salamanders are also cool. I like marbled salamanders, they need mostly land, but high humidity.

Also, what about frogs/toads? Check out oriental fire-bellied toads. They need a part water, part land vivarium, and they are very pretty...

Or what about a small reptile? Or a rodent... LOL... there's just sooooo many options for a 10g. But I would go with either fish, newts, crabs or toads.... lol...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Yup, I have the crabs alone... I want to research about adding a small fish or 2, later, when I get more sand and I can raise the water level 1.5 more gallons. They do like to hide, but they come out often to do strange things... lol This is my first time having crabs.. I would like a hermit later. 8)

I like newts too. I want some, but I just haven't been able to find them. About newt, they need cooler water than fish, in a ten gal. you could keep 1.... 2 tops, depending on the species you get. They need a land part also, so you have to think about that... I like floating islands. If you do a search, you'll find some cool ideas on how to make them with foam and stuff...

Does it has to be water environment? How about a terrarium... salamanders are also cool. I like marbled salamanders, they need mostly land, but high humidity.

Also, what about frogs/toads? Check out oriental fire-bellied toads. They need a part water, part land vivarium, and they are very pretty...

Or what about a small reptile? Or a rodent... LOL... there's just sooooo many options for a 10g. But I would go with either fish, newts, crabs or toads.... lol...

I have a bunch of books on amphibians and have done research and I could keep two Fire-Bellied Newts in the tank . They like cool water, but room temperature is fine...I just won't use a heater. I think I'm going to make it mostly aqautic with those floating cork wood islands they have for turtles plus some tall plants and branches that can stick out of the water to give them more land. And the of course some caves, rocks, and smaller plants underwater .

I love frogs and toads but I've kept them before and was looking for something different...you know what I mean? I'm planning on getting African Dwarf Frogs at some point but they don't need that huge of a tank, lol.

Terrariums are fun but this tank is meant for fishies so it has a filter and everything so I wanted something aqautic . And sadly, you can't get salamaders here unless you take them from outside or something. Yet for some reason they sell newts o_0.

Perhaps I'll go to the exotics petstore and look at all the animals to help me decide .

~Stephanie

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, cherry barbs, dwarf frogs, female betta, female bettas, hermit crab, hermit crabs, male betta, neon tetras, tropical fish