New aTank mates - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

New aTank mates

I know balas aren't suppose to be with a non aggressive tank but ive had them in here before, i will avtually turn it into semi aggressive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM

If you are going to keep bala sharks i would try to keep them in groups of at least 6 and always in a tank no smaller than 75 gallons, unless you plan on upsizing your tank or trading your big ones in for smaller ones once they grow large.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

I've had a 55 years ago and had 1 bala shark that did fine in there and didn't bother the other fish. fish grow to their environment, but thnks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:16 AM

Its not that the shark would bother the other fish but that at full size it wouldnt be happy in a small environment. Bala sharks like to school, thats why i said that six is a good number, when a bala shark is alone it usually isnt happy, and wont reach its full potential as a pet. As for having large bala sharks in smaller tanks it is just like keeping a goldfish in a small bowl, it may live but it probably is miserable. I kept 6 bala sharks in my 60 gallon tank until they reached medium size, thats when i noticed that they were bumping into the glass frequently and werent displaying as vivid colors as they usually did. I gave them to a freind who has a 200 gallon community tank and they are all doing excellent. Your bala shark looks like it is still small enough to live happily in a tank of 30 gallons or larger, but i think that he would be more active and brighter if you gave him even just one other bala shark as a buddy I hope im not being preachy or seeming like a know it all, im really just trying to help
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

i do have 2 balas and they are babies and are in a 50 gallon. I won't go buying a bigger tank on account of sharks. thnks anyways.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:03 AM

Oh thats great that you have 2, and a 50 gallon isnt a small tank, they will be just fine in there for quite some time
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:15 AM

Hey.. one thing i have discovered is that you cant always judge a book by it's cover i have found that although the rule is almost always correct with fish, there are exceptions. Fish that are aggressive can sometimes be very passive and vice versa.

I had a bala shark in with docile fish and it was the most docile of them all, it was lovely in nature and a loner absolutely beautiful. I removed him though when i began introducing more aggressive species go with what works for your tank, you can always remove any fish that arent doing well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Today is the day of renewel. the tank will be changed from red,wht,blk gravel to river rocks, i ordered it through online vendor and thought they were alot smaller, but oopps they might just look good can't wait. Big job up ahead, and will take pics when done of difference.

Tags
bigger tank