New Betta = New Tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

New Betta = New Tank

Hello there I am a newbie to the forums, I would really like to get some helpful advise if at all possible. I have been planning on getting a new male Betta preferably a crown tail very soon for quite sometime now. I was going to use a 2 gallon tank that I have down in my basement where I pretty much live. And if it was to cool down there still for him I was going to look into getting a heater to help out.
But very unexpectedly my mother grabs me up and takes me out to Petco yesterday where we bought three fairly big Goldfish. She has taken two of them under her wing and I have the other now in my 2 gallon tank down stairs.
But I still would like to get a new Betta at least by October, I was throwing around the idea of if I should get a 2 gallon or 1 gallon tank?
I know I want to have a filtrated tank. We have one Betta in the house that already live in one of those Betta bowl things. And although he seems perfectly content with it, I just don't like the idea of doing that to a fish my self (I can't do anything about the current one since he is not mine he's my mother's and I just help take care of him most of the time.) I am not sure if I have enough room to get another 2 gallon tank because I already have two and I have been trying to clear up space around my house for ages, and just don't have a lot of space to put a tank right now! I heard though I have come across a spot in the house that if I did a little rearranging would probably work just fine! And I think it should be ok for a 1 gallon or 2 gallon tank too! But if I can I would like to try a 1 gallon and see if I should move my guy to something bigger over a period of time.

I have heard from several different pet owner/friends of mine that 1 gallons work just fine. What I really would like is just some advise from people and please be kind, I've asked similar question and literally gotten verbally whiplashed. Does my plan of starting off with a 1 gal. and then going to a 2 gal. if need be sound like a good plan or not?
I have a little Female Betta in my tank up stairs and she seems to love the space she has in a 2 gal. tank so I would love to be to make another little fish just as happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Hello Earthling

I would say the bigger the better. And for the goldfish 2gallons is NOT enough.

I'm not a fish expert but thats just my .02

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - I don't know too much about goldfish but I always thought they needed bigger tanks. I could be wrong, but I know my sister got 3 little goldfish and had them in a 10gal tank for awhile, but they got huge and she had to get another tank. I don't know if you can do this, but I would say move the goldfish and and use the 2gal for the betta.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Before you look into getting a betta I would worry more about your goldfish. They need at least 10-gallons per fish...and a 20-gallon tank is generally the bare minimum. If it's a common/comet goldfish it'll need even more room when it's older.

Anyways, a 1-gallon tank is the bare minimum for a betta. But I would highly suggest getting at least a 2-gallon . To be honest, I wouldn't get a filter unless the tank is at least a 5-gallon. In smaller sized tanks it won't do much besides annoy the betta (though there are exceptions...some bettas like playing in the bubbles, hehe). 5-gallons and larger are much better anyways...they can be cycled and heated easier. I personally don't keep my bettas in anything smaller...I did in the past and I regret it after seeing the difference a larger tank can make.

Oh, and don't let the petstore talk you into keeping the betta with your current goldfish. Some will tell you they can live together just so you'll buy a betta =/.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well first of all the idea of getting the Goldfish at all was my mother's idea not mine because she wanted something her self...and because she said she would settle for three of the things thats pretty much what we ended up getting.
Her two up stairs I think are in a 3 gallon bowl...it seems at least a gallon bigger then my tank. And her guys seem very content to be in the thing and swim around just fine, playing in it. And I could tell her to try and move them to something bigger but I don't really wan to get my head bit off in the process though.
She's kind of odd, she cares about the animals...but when she is convinced she is correct about something you just can't talk her out of it no matter what.
I would love to look at getting something bigger for my goldfish just cuz he does not seem all too active in the tank we have him in now, and probably putting him in something different and using that tank for a Betta would be a good exchange.
But I have a few questions, I notice that the big you go in your tank size the higher the pricing is for the tank...but if its just a simple bowl than its not so bad. Can I get maybe a 5 gal. tank that is not filtrated and put my 1 goldfish in that? I do realize I would need to clean it more of course but that is is something I would be very willing to do. And I think in the space that I have my tank now a 5 gal. would fit fine...
The main reason I am concerned is because my current tank is on top my office desk...and I just don't want to get something so huge it would break anything. And I want to make sure it will actually fit in the space too!
But if I can get just a big 5 gal. bowl to put the goldfish in I think that might work out the best for right now...just since I do not have a ton of money to throw around.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok here's the deal with what's going to be going on with me and my new Goldfish. I have found a place in my town locally that sells 10 gallon tanks for $10 with out the filters, which granted I will have to change out the water of a bit more often but I am perfectly willing to do that.
I can't get this tank just yet because, I am planning on picking up a rabbit cage next week...and just can't get it and the tank all at the same time..so sadly my Goldfish will have to wait a couple of weeks until I can get a new tank for him, but I will try to make him as comfy as possible in the 2 gal. for the time being. If rearragne things in my office area I should have plenty of room to put the 10 gal. and my 2 gal. in the area that I would like it to be, I might not even have to move my gal. 2 tank at all now if things go the way I want them to. So I will have plenty of space for the new Betta as well once I get him.
So it looks like everything will be fine, I just really hope when my mother decides to get a new pet fish that she lives me and my tanks alone...this was all a real hassle to have to deal with and it was not even a fish that I even wanted for myself. But if the Goldfish does not last that long I am hoping I can try a green spotted puffer in the tank next...which I have tried before but did not work so well since it was from wal-mart and I am sure had something wrong with him by the time I got him home anyway.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When you can get a filter definitely get one since otherwise you'll have to clean a ton. Also, you'll have a lot of problems with low oxygen without anything moving the water around. Be prepared to do daily water changes. Goldfish are one of the messiest fish you can possibly own and they can easily kill themselves with their own ammonia. I really hope your mother doesn't get any more fish after the ones she has die (which they most certainly will).

Anyways, good luck with him and your future betta .

Oh, and about the green-spotted puffer...believe it or not, they aren't true freshwater species which is why so many people have bad luck with them. When young they can live in freshwater tanks but as they get older they need to be moved to brackish waters and eventually marine. You know what a great puffer is? The dwarf puffer . They are truly freshwater and stay tiny (you can keep four or five in a 10-gallon), they are fairly hardy if water conditions are ok, and they don't need strong filtration (but they like having live plants).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

eventually you will need a bigger tank anyway for the goldfish...for about 30bucks you could get a 20gal tank and that will last your goldfish longer and in the end you will clean it less...have a better time maintaining it and you wont be stuck with all those small tanks laying around everywhere...and those little tanks will add up so its better to go with the 20gal, you wont regret it

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
eventually you will need a bigger tank anyway for the goldfish...for about 30bucks you could get a 20gal tank and that will last your goldfish longer and in the end you will clean it less...have a better time maintaining it and you wont be stuck with all those small tanks laying around everywhere...and those little tanks will add up so its better to go with the 20gal, you wont regret it
I would want to get something bigger, but to be honest I am not sure if these guy that I got is fully grown or not yet...so I am not totally sure if he will grow anymore...I think for right now I am going to stick with the 10 gal. and see if I need to get anything bigger after that.
Like I have said before I would love to get something larger...but if I can keep to a minimum I probably will...just because I don't have a ton of money to just throw around whenever I would like to at the moment..at least not with school and not being able to find a half way suitable job. But like I said if I really feel like I need to I will upgrade but I think a 10 gal. will do just fine for the moment for me.
Sasami- certainly planning on getting a filter soon as well, just like I said before its really just an issue that I don't have the Money for it right now. So I will have to wait just a little while, but I know that if I plan on housing anything else in that tank I should probably look into getting a filter for it. You said a Dwarf Puffer? I'll have to look into those if things go bad with the goldfish. I have been wanting to try another puffer for a while now but don't really know a lot about that kind of fish and didn't know a lot of the care stuff that goes with em. I knew about Green Spotted ones needing brackish water but I had never delt with anything other then fresh water fish. And I tired to take care of it as best I could...I really did do research and all that to try and take care of it. But it still didn't last too long, but I am still thinking that may have had something to do with that they came from Wal-Mart too! I don't trust fish from that place any more and just flat out refuse to buy them.
If I do end up getting a 20 gal. to replace my 10 gal. that I am getting I might consider moving getting some puffers and putting them in the 10 gal. so that the tank just not sit around empty. I should check and see if my local pet store carries that kind of puffer, thats where I am getting my Crowntail Betta and these guys are very good at giving great advise and supplying a great quality pets and plants.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you are thinking of keeping the goldfish with the puffers then no, that wouldn't work. Puffers are tropical and goldfish are coldwater. Puffers do best in a tank by themselves . They are mean anyways .

But I think what you mean is you'll get puffers if the 10-gallon is ever empty which of course would work out well .

Oh, and just because the goldfish doesn't grow doesn't mean anything. The reason most goldfish don't reach full size is because their growth is stunted from being in a small tank/bowl. There's one problem with this...their organs keep growing and they sort of...explode on the inside x_x. It can take years to happen but it definitely does. That's why a lot of goldfish don't live longer then a few years (they should live 15-20 years). But a 10-gallon will be perfectly fine for now if it's kept clean . Just don't let petstores talk you into getting more fish to go with your goldfish...they might try to sell you a pleco or something.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
If you are thinking of keeping the goldfish with the puffers then no, that wouldn't work. Puffers are tropical and goldfish are coldwater. Puffers do best in a tank by themselves . They are mean anyways .

But I think what you mean is you'll get puffers if the 10-gallon is ever empty which of course would work out well .

Oh, and just because the goldfish doesn't grow doesn't mean anything. The reason most goldfish don't reach full size is because their growth is stunted from being in a small tank/bowl. There's one problem with this...their organs keep growing and they sort of...explode on the inside x_x. It can take years to happen but it definitely does. That's why a lot of goldfish don't live longer then a few years (they should live 15-20 years). But a 10-gallon will be perfectly fine for now if it's kept clean . Just don't let petstores talk you into getting more fish to go with your goldfish...they might try to sell you a pleco or something.
Oh yeah no way I'm not doing that..one of my mother's fish upstairs actually passed away yesterday...and she tired to throw her other fish on me to put in the 2 gal. downstairs...I was fairly proud of myself when I told her...to keep away from my tank...I just need her to keep away from me and my stuff for a while..so that I don't have to deal with the stress she gives me.
But yeah what I meant with the 10 gal. is if something should happen to my Goldfish...like needing to upgrade it to a larger tank...or something worse happens...then I would use the 10 gal. for dwarf puffers not keep both of em in there. lol sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I have finals today so I my mind has been kind of all over the place as of lately.
I'll keep you guys posted on the new tank and how everything goes..I am hoping to get ahold of a new tank at least in the next week or so.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well unfortunately I have some sad news, my Goldfish a few days ago passed away before I could get him moved into a bigger tank.
I really felt bad about this because I really wanted to help me out and get him into something where he could be more comfortable.
I still plan on getting a 10 gal. Some time soon so that I can house some Dwarf Puffers, but since I just got a new lap top yesterday and am paying layaway on the thing it might be a little longer then I originally planned.
The little Mino that was in the tank with the Goldfish is still there, and I have been considering getting some Tetras to put in with him to liven up the little 2 gallon tank. If you guys have any advice on the matter maybe how many I could house in a 2 gal. Tank..(I'm assuming that Tetras can do just fine in something like a gal. tank). And the last time I tried Tetra they worked pretty well. I will also be looking at getting a new 2 gal. Tank some time soon to put my crowntail in I will probably look at using my local fish / pet store since they have proved to be the better in quality and price as far as their supplies go.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
Well unfortunately I have some sad news, my Goldfish a few days ago passed away before I could get him moved into a bigger tank.
I really felt bad about this because I really wanted to help me out and get him into something where he could be more comfortable.
I still plan on getting a 10 gal. Some time soon so that I can house some Dwarf Puffers, but since I just got a new lap top yesterday and am paying layaway on the thing it might be a little longer then I originally planned.
The little Mino that was in the tank with the Goldfish is still there, and I have been considering getting some Tetras to put in with him to liven up the little 2 gallon tank. If you guys have any advice on the matter maybe how many I could house in a 2 gal. Tank..(I'm assuming that Tetras can do just fine in something like a gal. tank). And the last time I tried Tetra they worked pretty well. I will also be looking at getting a new 2 gal. Tank some time soon to put my crowntail in I will probably look at using my local fish / pet store since they have proved to be the better in quality and price as far as their supplies go.
I'm sorry for your loss .

What fish is in there now? A white cloud minnow? Or a tetra?

A 2-gallon isn't really large enough to safely house more then one fish...except maybe white clouds or endler's livebearers. Tetras actually do best in larger tanks because they are active and do best in large schools of at least six fish. Same goes for the minnows. Smaller "desktop" tanks are better for housing one small solitary fish/invert.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am not entirely sure since he was kind of a stow away to begin with...but I think its a ruby mino, might just trying working with only him for a while and then just go with my plan on getting my crowntail.
I am hoping I can still get some Dwarf Puffers some time soon too!
Oh and I havn't told you guys that I am looking at getting some land hermit crabs too! I am not sure if I will get them soon or later but...I am planning on getting them at some point in the near future.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Land hermit crabs are a lot of fun . Unfortunately they are also very misunderstood. Definitely post if you have any questions about them...I know there are a lot of experienced hermit crab owners here (myself included ).

~Stephanie

Tags
bigger tank, female betta, gold fish, hermit crab, hermit crabs, land hermit crabs, local pet store, male betta, pet owner, pet store, rabbit cage