New Betta! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

New Betta!

On Friday I got a new betta . I was at PetsMart because I had a giftcard there and couldn't resist, hehe.

I am a bit concerned because I've never gotten a betta there before but he seems quite healthy though he's a bit scared at the moment. After all, he was living in a tiny, cold, dirty cup and is now in a clean, warm 2-gallon tank. I think the open space freaks him out. His home is rather empty right now, I thought I had an extra rock cave but can't find it so I need to go to the petstore tomorrow and get something for him to hide in. As well as some nice plants . Right now he just has a couple of fake ones.

His name is Valentino, because it's near Valentine's Day and because of his coloring (light pink body and red fins).

Here he is. Of course he looks prettier in real life .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaawwwww what a beauty Valentino is Don't you just hate it when you see Betta's in those small cups. When i first got mine Bruce he was in a small tank and he is now in a 10 gallon community tank and he rules over it and loves it. Glad Valentino has found a good home with you

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 AM

Aww thats what my beta looks like, and he came in a small bowl too, and now he is in a gallon tank all by himself, but he loves it, it has bubbles and a light...he loves the light...and he is so smart knows exactly where he gets fed every time, and comes over to the glass when someone walks in the room, almost as if he wants to be pets...kind of sad huh? but it should be fine, i got mine from petland discounts and he lived, you just have to look for white fuzzy looking stuff growing on them...im new to the fish community so i don't know what its called but i heard it can be treated, but if not they could die. But he looks good and so pretty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM

What a pretty fish

It always makes me sad to see rows of poor little fishes in cups at the pet store. Just because they can technically survive in a small space doesn't mean they don't deserve more
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
aaawwwww what a beauty Valentino is Don't you just hate it when you see Betta's in those small cups. When i first got mine Bruce he was in a small tank and he is now in a 10 gallon community tank and he rules over it and loves it. Glad Valentino has found a good home with you
Thanks! Yes, it's very sad. The cups were really dirty too, I didn't test the ammonia level in his cup but it must've been pretty high .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
Aww thats what my beta looks like, and he came in a small bowl too, and now he is in a gallon tank all by himself, but he loves it, it has bubbles and a light...he loves the light...and he is so smart knows exactly where he gets fed every time, and comes over to the glass when someone walks in the room, almost as if he wants to be pets...kind of sad huh? but it should be fine, i got mine from petland discounts and he lived, you just have to look for white fuzzy looking stuff growing on them...im new to the fish community so i don't know what its called but i heard it can be treated, but if not they could die. But he looks good and so pretty!
They are really intelligent . Romeo loves people and always knows when it's feeding time. He also seems to have a crush on my friend and always shows off for her . And Kiyoshi shakes his fins like a puppy when you give him attention. It's so cute.

The fuzzy stuff you're talking about is a fungal infection. Very easily treatable yet dangerous. I had a betta get it over the summer. He survived, but was left blind and died a few months later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
What a pretty fish

It always makes me sad to see rows of poor little fishes in cups at the pet store. Just because they can technically survive in a small space doesn't mean they don't deserve more
I know! And really, that amount of space is unacceptable for any living being. Yes, in the wild they live in fairly small spaces, but not that small .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM

Awwww Valentino is so cute and pretty. I bet he is really happy in your home. He looks a bit like Utopia. I feel bad for them too being in the small cups. Everytime I see them I want to buy more and give them a better home, I might buy a third beta eventually.

I never heard of fungal infection, that sounds scary. How do they get it? And how do you treat it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePaws
Awwww Valentino is so cute and pretty. I bet he is really happy in your home. He looks a bit like Utopia. I feel bad for them too being in the small cups. Everytime I see them I want to buy more and give them a better home, I might buy a third beta eventually.

I never heard of fungal infection, that sounds scary. How do they get it? And how do you treat it.
Thanks . For a while I banned myself from going to PetCo because I kept coming home with more fish .

Fungal infections usually happen when an injury gets infected. The area looks white and sometimes cottony. Keitaro, my betta, got it after he injured his eye on a plant. I treated him with a medication made to treat fungal and bacterial infections and it worked. Sadly, the whole thing left him blind and with a part of his jaw missing and he was never really the same . But I think in a less serious case a fish would do quite well.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 AM

My beta has Fungus

Hi after talking about the fungus I noticed it on my beta what kind of product do you buy to get it?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
Hi after talking about the fungus I noticed it on my beta what kind of product do you buy to get it?
I'm sorry to hear that .

I used Binox for fungus and bacteria. It's made by Jungle. They have one just for just fungal infections too, but the guy recommended this one just in case. Especially if you aren't completely sure.

It's a yellow powder and the directions are on the back.

There are probably other products available but that's what I used and it worked really quickly.

I hope your fish is ok.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

Beautiful betta, I had one until one of my cats decided to play with it and ended up killing him.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 PM

thank you
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 PM

beautiful color
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thanks!

~Stephanie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
What a pretty fish

I totally agree with everything said there =] It always makes me feel really bad to go to the store and see all the Bettas shoved in these little plastic cups filled only half way with nasty yucky water. =[ They look rather bored... don't they?

lol, but yes... Valentino is very pretty!
I used to have two fish that looked pretty similar to him... their names were Strawberry and Skittles. Seems as though for some reason I always wound up naming my fish after food

Tags
pet store