new betta, fin rot - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

new betta, fin rot

i got two new bettas yesterday.
one of them seems to either have fin rot, or be mixed with a crowntail. i honestly cant tell if a fish has tail rot or not. i googled up some pictures and my bettas fins dont look anything like what i googled.
his dorsal fin is very straggly. it has long strings and its very thin. it looks like its missing half and the "webbing" is almost all off. so i am 80% sure its a bad case of fin rot. yet there are no holes in his fins, and his other fins dont look very bad at all!!

i have melafix, and maracyn. i dont *think* i am going to use any medication yet. i will keep the water very clean and watch to make sure it doesnt get worse. i heard just clean water and maybe some aquarium salt would help lots. any input on this?

also to support why i think its fin rot... he has been living in the pet store in that tiny cup for at least 3 weeks that i know of. i go there every week for fun, and he has been there the last two times. i got him the third time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 PM

Do you have a filter in his tank?
It could also be possible he's biting his fins.
I, personally, would just watch it and see if it gets any shorter and then start medicating it.
Sasami will probably be able to help much more, she knows all about this kind of stuff and has helped me many a time.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

its not filtered at the moment. its a two gallon tank. i have been debating on getting one of those filters that attach to your aerator like i have been using on the other bettas in bigger tanks.
i dont seen him biting fins. this is only the second night i have had him though, however i have been watching him closely because he is miraculously beautiful!
yup, i also think if it gets shorter i should start medication. maybe not the kinds that i have, but maybe bettafix, or something along those lines.
one tablet of the maracyn does ten gallons. so to break it down where it would treat two gallons seems to risky. its hard to break too. i have been using it for Rambo in the 5.5 and breaking it in half because he has a bit of fin rot, and some grey patches.

it wouldn't be hard for me to get another filter at all. but i live nearly an hour away from town and trips are limited. i think we will be going to town again this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM

With my tank, it was the filter that caused the back fin to be completely ripped, that's why I was asking. I was thinking maybe the filter was the culprit.
Jungle has really good fin rot products, that I can highly recommend! I hope your fishie gets better!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks! with me doing 100% water changes every 4 to 5 days i didn't see the need for a filter. however i do have one in my 5.5 and my 3.5 gal. the filters i use hook up to your air hose and you can get something to adjust how much bubbles it makes. mine just does light bubbles because that's how i have it set. maybe you should look into these filters if you want to filter your bettas and are scared that it will mess up there fins.
thanks, i hope he gets better to. he is so beautiful now, i know he will be stunning with healed fins. i wish i could get a good pic of him!
he is really dark brown, almost black in his body and his fins are a dark yellow and the has big red spots and streaks in them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 PM

He sounds beautiful!
Yea, I do water changes every week too and I don't have a filter, but I did the same thing with the filter. I think in a small tank it doesn't make much of a difference at all.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

yup! bettas dont like currents anyway, so if you dont have him in a big cylced tank why stress him out with filters. but i am keeping the filter in my 3.5 gallon anyway. he doesnt mind the current and has been exposed to it since i had him. he was in the splitted tank with Rambo until i took him out.
After Rambo gets over his fin rot and nasty grey patches (he looks better to me now) he is getting some more tank mates. so no way i would take his filter out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Sounds good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is it possible to get a picture? Maybe it's just his natural coloring and finnage. Are the edges of the fins black? If they aren't black then I doubt it's finrot.

First of all, you'll want to do a complete water change and rinse everything off with warm water. For treatment I'd start with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. That should work but if you need something stronger try Tetracycline or Maracyn and Maracyn-Two combined together. You can add a bit of aquarium salt too, if you aren't already doing that. And of course use Melafix once he starts to heal.

Good luck .

Edit: And by the way, if it isn't finrot it's possible that the missing finnage is from ammonia burns or biting his tail before you got him.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

yes every single one of his fins are black at the ends. but i really do think its his coloring. i think thats just how its colored and not related to the fin rot.

i plan on getting some aquarium salt soon, and also i will pick up that jungle fungas stuff. i will see if the salt and clean water helps first.
i have tryed getting some pics, but you cant see the fins well. i will try again.
thanks soo much for the advice

ps. if it helps any, his doral fin is "stringy" at the ends, and the strings are really long.

Last edited by ratty_ratkins; 08-17-2006 at 12:56 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

i took some pictures!
this first one i drew it. my camera takes bad pictures and you cant really see what i am talking about, so i drew a diagram for you. i didnt even try, the drawing only took 5 or 6 minutes so its bad, bear with me!

this picture shows what i am talking about pretty well

and on the next few i cirlced the areas i want everyone to pay attention to.

see the weak dorsal fin, and its curled

that is just a pic of the extemely weak curly doral fin

look at the raggety dorsal fin in this pic. and notice the bottom fin, all of those freys

i hope this helped you guys out. he doesnt look any better today than he did yestereday. i hope he comes around soon. he is eating and is very active. his fins are just looking very odd. he has the dorsal fin of a crowntail!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. It could just be his coloring although it does look like finrot. Before medicating him I'd just use aquarium salt (and maybe some melafix) and see if he starts to look better.

I hope he feels better soon .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks. i used melafix twice since i got him. but i didnt use it today because it was making such a horrible thick film on the water. i hope i am getting some aquarium salt soon so maybe this little guy will start looking better. but for now just really clean water will have to do.

Tags
aquarium salt, bigger tank, dark brown, fin rot, pet store