New Betta Tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

New Betta Tank

This is hopefully my new betta tank. Tell me what you think and any improvements i might need before I get my betta It is 3 gallons. I used sand and a mix of live and silk plants. A 1-3 gallon low flow submersible filter. and a 1-3 gallon side tank heater set to 75F. I actually turned a 3 gallon unused cookie jar into the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Betta Bomb

As long as the flow from the filter is not too strong I see nothing wrong with it! I have a 7.5 watt heater for my 3 gallon too - just keep an eye on the thermometer bc in a cold room the heater is not always enough.
That will work for a betta for a while, depending on how active he is you might find a longer tank (like Kritter Keepers) are better since they prefer to swim horizonatally rather than up and down
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have to replace the heater as to me I think its getting the water too hot....Where did you find your 7.5 heater at? The one I have the pet store recommended which was was first mistake but its way more wattage then 7.5 its 50watts so for now I have a under tank reptile heater under the aquarium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Betta Bomb

Mine is called BettaTherm by ZooMed. I got it online on PetSmart.com since no local stores carry them. They're circular and you put them under the gravel ^.^
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The shape isn't really great...bettas swim horizontally and also have to come up for air. The fact that it's heated and filtered is good, though. I know it's temporary but please don't use a reptile heater on an aquarium...that can be pretty dangerous and most undertank heaters specifically say not to use them with aquatic habitats. What live plants are you using?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok, I will remove the heater luckily I dont have a fish yet so I can get everything perfect for the little guy. Right now I have a small group of Hemianthus Callitrichoides, and hopefully a moss ball. What would be good options on tanks then?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
Ok, I will remove the heater luckily I dont have a fish yet so I can get everything perfect for the little guy. Right now I have a small group of Hemianthus Callitrichoides, and hopefully a moss ball. What would be good options on tanks then?
I would recommend at least a 5-gallon for stability, ease of maintenance/cycling (no full water changes needed if cycled), and for more heater options . There are a ton of 5-gallon aquariums to choose from but I'd go for one in a more rectangular shape like a regular Eclipse, Mini-Bow, or an All-Glass standard 5-gallon (as opposed to, say, the Eclipse Hex which is taller). I have a couple of 5-gallon aquariums running right now but am totally blanking on the brand. I can check tomorrow. They were pretty cheap and have been durable and easy to clean .

Ah, that's what I was worried about. Your plant, often called "dwarf baby tears", requires high light to thrive. It looks like it's just getting indirect light right now and will probably die unless you upgrade to a tank that can support higher lighting (maybe go for compact florescent bulbs, they can fit in regular incandescent hoods but are MUCH brighter and don't give off extra heat). If you want to stick with a low-light tank you're going to be restricted to plants without high lighting needs like anubias, java ferns, various mosses, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you for the advice. I have a spare 5 gallon already, I was going to use it for aome other fish but I really want a betta so I will just use it. That'll teach me to listen to a pet store clerk.....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Betta Bomb

Pet store clerks are often using myths and just wrong info to make a quick sale.
An off note, my LPS has a shortage of betta currently bc their supplier flooded out. Received 12 betta off an order for 60 o.o

Anyway, I'm looking forward to pics!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Looks too small for me too, better to get standard rectangular tank. We have about 20 bettas here and are just fine in 10gal tank.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Betta Bomb

You can't keep 20 bettas ina 10g!! O.o I hope that's not what you meant!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
You can't keep 20 bettas ina 10g!! O.o I hope that's not what you meant!
I think they meant 20 bettas in separate 10-gallon aquariums . Or at least I hope so, ha.

~Stephanie

Tags
betta, fish, tank