New Betta won't eat much? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Betta won't eat much?

I have had quite a few bettas over the years and have never had a problem with eating. However, Rubeus, my red crown-tail male I got on Friday (Now Monday) is not eating. The second night he ate a pellet but since then he doesn't seem to have eaten anything. I've tried pellets (a usual favorite), flakes and dried blood worms and still nothing. He seems alright; he has been swimming around fine and no fin rot or ick that I have noticed. The tank is brand new but I let it set up before he went in. He is in a 5 gallon with my 2 apple snails (no issue with them and Rube). I know it seems silly to worry over it but I like my fish and I don't want him to starve himself! Any help is really appreciated

Pet lover: experience with--rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, snakes, fish, hedgehogs, hamsters, and horses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There's a good chance he's just acclimating still and will eat soon. But just in case, what is the temperature in the tank and have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? What brand of pellets did you try?

I've never had a betta ignore a live blackworm but I don't think you need to try live foods just yet, he probably needs time to settle in .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I use Bio-gold pellets. He tends to spit them back out. The tank is at room temperature if not slightly above because my room is rather warm. I haven't checked nitrates and ammonia but the water is good and conditioned so I wasn't too worried on that front. I too am hoping he is simply acclimating but I am a worry wart about my pets.

Pet lover: experience with--rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, snakes, fish, hedgehogs, hamsters, and horses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, water conditioner won't prevent ammonia and nitrite from building up so it's definitely worth it to test.

You could try a smaller pellet. In the past, I've had a couple bettas who wouldn't eat the Bio-Gold pellets because they were too big. New Life Spectrum makes really tiny pellets that bettas seem to love. HBH also makes smaller pellets although the ingredients are lower qquality than NLS. Of course, you could also try crushing the Bio-Gold pellets .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How much do ammonia and nitrite tests run? I thought the filters helped with that issue.
I will try splitting the pellets up though he can eat them fine as far as I could tell.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz777 View Post
How much do ammonia and nitrite tests run? I thought the filters helped with that issue.
I will try splitting the pellets up though he can eat them fine as far as I could tell.
Well, a pet store could test a water sample for free. Test kits range in prices. They usually sell sets containing the common tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) for $15-$20 and single tests are of course less than that .

The filter removes particulate matter and some have media that help polish the water or remove some ammonia (which will only work if it's been replaced often and from what I've read, the ammonia removing capabilities are pretty negligible). They aren't a substitute for water changes but beneficial bacteria can grow in the media, helping to cycle the tank by converting ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate has to be removed by water changes, usually. What kind of filter do you have?

~Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It's an Aqueon Mini Bow Filter (120 volts, 60 hz). It came with the tank. I haven't had to change the water yet because I just set the tank up but I'll do a cleaning Friday. I tried crushing the pellets and he ignores them. I tried again with a plain pellet and he grabbed it and spit it back out. He completely ignores flakes and turns up his nose at worms put directly in front of him. This is completely beyond me! I've never met a betta who won't eat at least ONE kind of food I have!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Like I said, some bettas just need time to settle in . They can go a long time without food so don't worry unless weeks pass. I'd also test your water parameters just in case...apple snails can be pretty messy, after all.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Newborn Pup

I don't know why he wouldn't be eating, but while we're on the betta fish topic...question. The last betta fish I ever owned had the yucky fin rot stuff you were describing. What causes that? She passed away, but I still wonder what the problem was.

~crazy about my pets!~~~
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover1998 View Post
I don't know why he wouldn't be eating, but while we're on the betta fish topic...question. The last betta fish I ever owned had the yucky fin rot stuff you were describing. What causes that? She passed away, but I still wonder what the problem was.
It's a bacterial infection caused by stress and/or poor water quality.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey Stephanie here's an update. I managed a small victory this morning. He ate about 3 crushed up Bio-Gold pellets but refused to eat any more. I'm going to see if he will take a few blood worms later on. I will keep you updated on his eating status. Thanks again!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz777 View Post
Hey Stephanie here's an update. I managed a small victory this morning. He ate about 3 crushed up Bio-Gold pellets but refused to eat any more. I'm going to see if he will take a few blood worms later on. I will keep you updated on his eating status. Thanks again!
Yay, that's great to hear . Bettas don't need much food so you could probably wait a day or two before trying more food. I only feed mine 2-3 times a week.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Here's another update: I decided to call the store where I got him to check what they feed. They feed TetraBetta Mini floating pellets. I did a little research and from what I gather it's a good nutrient rich food. It is also MUCH smaller than the pellets I have attempted to give him. I'm gonna try getting some of that food and see if he will eat it. Thanks again for all the help.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Betta Bomb

Keep trying different foods. Mine love frozen bloodworms. Some bettas are picky but most are hogs. When he spits them out he's probably not hungry anymore. Ammonia and nitrites are present even with a filter in non-cycled tanks (is that right Steph?) so you'll still have to do water changes to make sure the water is in tip-top shape. I hear apple snails have quite a high bioload, which could be contributing to poor water chemistry. Which is the reason I opted out of free apple snails!! I'm getting assassin snails today, much smaller bioload.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

From what my sister said (I was out of town this weekend) he seems to be doing well. I went to the store on Friday before I left and they said try some bettafix because he was a tad pale and also kinda lethargic. Within half an hour of adding it, he ate 3 pellets. We dosed him again yesterday and today and he has been eating (or so she thinks-->my sister hasn't been able to watch him very closely since she works at night) what she's given him. I will keep an eye on him for now and give him some more bettafix as needed. If not I will try more food brands (the store said wait until I tried so bettafix.) As for the snails they are coming out of the 5 gallon with Rubeus. I still have a smaller tank that I will keep them in where they can go get it dirty as much as they like and I can clean it easier. They're not my favorite by a long shot. I got two after my one died and then regretted it. I won't have them again THAT'S for sure. I'll keep everyone updated!

Tags
betta fish, betta not eating