New fish tank question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

New fish tank question

Okay I really want a fish tank and I've been thinking about it for awhile now. I read up on the cycling and all that stuff.

What I really want to know is a 10 gallon the minimum? I'd really want a tank a little smaller then that that will fit on my desk, a ten gallon would be a bit big. I really just want a fish thats pretty to look at and that won't get that big....I really really want bettas but they need a 10 gallon right? Would a tank thats taller then it is wide work okay? Like I said I don't want that many fish, maybe one or two and a filter (that's a big reason why I want one in the first place, I like the sound of the filter but to me it's pointless to have a fish tank with no fish...haha)

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Hello Earthling

I think 5 gallons is the min. for cycling - but I might be corrected on that. I'm really sure a betta would do just fine in a 5 gallon by him self - with a heater, and a filter thats not going to cause to much of a current and not going to injure his fins, and also maybe plant it with some nice live plants to beautify it up a little, I think it would look nice. You could always go for a smaller tank if your willing to do water changes every other day, but I do think a fishie would prefer a 5g as to a 1g

Good luck with you fishies

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

i was thinking a 5 gallon all along with just a fish and maybe a plant. I just want to make sure it's enough room and all.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Part of the Pack

The bigger the better! whatever your desk can hold, 5 gal I would say should be the Minimum size for a betta. you will need to do water changes more frequent than larger tanks of course. live plants would look nice! and bettas love to lay on them. fake plants arent as soft
have fun! fish tanks are a blast!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can cycle smaller tanks but they require more upkeep and aren't as stable (that's why a 10-gallon is usually recommended as the minimum, even if you CAN cycle a 5-gallon).

You sound like you've done your research so I think you'll be fine . Most people run into problems with smaller tanks because they don't do water changes, over-feed, over-stock, and/or don't have the proper equipment (a lot of desktop tanks come with under gravel filters which aren't going to help).

A single betta will do very well in a 5-gallon alone . Just make sure you have a heater. If you can get some hardy live plants (like java ferns) then definitely add some. Plants are helpful in keeping small tanks stable.

I really like the Eclipse tanks as far as desktops go and have kept a lot of my bettas in them. They come with good filters that aren't too strong (bettas hate strong currents for the most part) and power compact lighting (which is really nice and will allow you to grow all sorts of plants). My only complaint is that having the filters built into the hood makes cleaning slightly more complicated (but doing partial water changes on most desktop tanks is).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Bettas are nice fish and can be kept in a 5 gallon tank.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are there any other fish that can be kept in smaller tanks? I was looking at the eclipse tanks and they look nice. They only had a 3 gallon and were out of the 5 gallon. I don't want to go as small as a 3 and I will look at another store for a 5 gallon. Can a snail or something be kept in there also? I'm just learning so bare with me.

*Missy*
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
Are there any other fish that can be kept in smaller tanks? I was looking at the eclipse tanks and they look nice. They only had a 3 gallon and were out of the 5 gallon. I don't want to go as small as a 3 and I will look at another store for a 5 gallon. Can a snail or something be kept in there also? I'm just learning so bare with me.
Cherry Barbs, Pygmy Gouramis, Killifish, and White Cloud Minnows all come to mind .

Most of the snails sold in petstores are apple snails, which get too big for a 5-gallon.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

can 2 fish be kept? and also what kinds of plants

*Missy*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
can 2 fish be kept? and also what kinds of plants
For the minnows and barbs you could actually keep three or four . A pair of killifish might work depending on species.

Some good beginner plants for a smaller tank are anubius nana, java ferns, water sprite, water wisteria, hornwort, and corkscrew vallisneria.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Thanks, I want to get the stuff together tonight so I can start cycling the tank. I'm not to worried about the fish right now but I do want to add the plants.

*Missy*

Tags
cherry barbs, fish tank