New tank journal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

New tank journal

My new 75gal has arrived.

No pics as yet, wont get any until i start the actual setup. Its just a stand and tank at present *L* I am still gathering/purchasing the goodies to get it up and running.

I'm doing DIY substrate
Propagating sand
Marble chips
Laterite
Blood & Bone
Topping sand

Tank will be fully planted.
Stock will, at this stage be large schools of smaller fish

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've swapped out the laterite for JBL AquaBasis Plus.
I sourced a store that can order me in some manzanita & goldvine wood, a bit pricey, but not as bad as i expected. I will however have to buy in smaller lots as my purse will allow *LOL*

Will be ordering the new canister and lighting tomorrow

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Resident Zoologist

Which canister and lighting?

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

More info
Tank: 4' x 20"x 18"
Filter: Pro-Aqua 2000/LPH Canister (ordered today)
Light: 3x T5HO 54W (ordered today)
Substrate: Propagating sand/JBL AquaBasis Plus mix, Marble chips, Blood & Bone, topped with Course sand.
Hardscape: Goldvine (to be ordered in small lots cause its pricey *L*) & Rocks (gotta do a landscape crawl to find some i like)
Plants: to be honest, no idea at this stage
CO2: If i do it will be DIY
Fertz: Yep
Livestock: Redtail black shark & couple of BN (definates) and will be looking at large schools of smaller fish types.
This will not be a speedy build, budget doesnt permit it *LOL* It will come together eventually, and i will update as it happens
Tank stand is still raw and will require varnishing before anything can happen

Another tank will be going underneath, being cleaned up. Though am debating upsizing a bit
Substrate goodies (need at least another bag of marble chips i think)

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Resident Zoologist

Interesting filter...looks like a Marineland clone with an added UV...let us know how you like it...I have no experience with this brand.

If you go CO2 (and I would strongly suggest that you do, given your lighting and ferts), I would suggest against DIY...output is variable, low, and it takes a lot of experimentation with various yeasts, etc to get even a decent longevity out of a batch. Consider the paintball CO2 tank systems....you can usually find used ones on eBay, etc pretty reasonably, and the initial tank is about $20, and only $5 to fill....and perfect for your size of tank, with good output, excellent dissolving, and about 3-5 months from a fill.

Your lights, are they single or double tube units? I would suggest doubles for that tank size.

Aquarist since 1971

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The one i am getting will not have UV. I have no experience with them either, but at that price it sounds good to me, and was recommended by a fellow fishkeeper who runs a heap of them.
Not interested in doing injected CO2 at all. Even a second hand unit is expensive and well, honestly i prefer to try DIY
The substrate is CO2 producing, will see if that is enough, if not i can do either liquid or DIY should be sufficent to 'top' up what the marble produces.
The light as posted above is a 3tube T5HO 54W (per tube) unit. This light will be more than enough for this tank.
I am experienced with planted tanks, this one will be just a small step up from what i have running already or have had in the past

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise

Last edited by Sharni; 09-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like you are on the right track, can't wait to see your set up..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharni View Post
Not interested in doing injected CO2 at all.
Why not? The bonuses to your tank are more than worth it.

Quote:
Even a second hand unit is expensive
I suppose it is all relative, but I would not consider $100 all that expensive.

Quote:
and well, honestly i prefer to try DIY
What are you thinking for a fermenter and diffuser?

Quote:
The substrate is CO2 producing, will see if that is enough, if not i can do either liquid or DIY should be sufficent to 'top' up what the marble produces.
From quite a lot of experience, as well as my experience in chemistry, I can assure you that the CO2 produced from the marble will be negligible.

Quote:
The light as posted above is a 3tube T5HO 54W (per tube) unit. This light will be more than enough for this tank.
Enough, certainly. I tend to go a bit higher, running 4 39w HOT5s on a 36" 34 US gallon tank and 5 54W HOT5s on a 48" x 24" x 24", but then, I also run a lot of injected CO2...a RedSea paintball-tank unit on the 34G and a full-size 10lb tank on the 120. I really like using the powerhead diffusers, as they provide near 100% efficiency...if you do CO2, consider either those or a quality glass diffuser, but make sure that you clean the disc regularly, or it will clog....the ladder diffusers are not worth the plastic they are formed from.

Aquarist since 1971

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Why not? The bonuses to your tank are more than worth it.
Because i see no need for it and i just plain dont want to *L*

Quote:
I suppose it is all relative, but I would not consider $100 all that expensive.
Remembering i live in completely different country and am rural, what might be 100 to you is definately NOT going to be that for me

Quote:
What are you thinking for a fermenter and diffuser?
2 litre coke bottles will do the job, through a small powerhead

Quote:
From quite a lot of experience, as well as my experience in chemistry, I can assure you that the CO2 produced from the marble will be negligible.
I have seen the results on tanks from this substrate, WITHOUT CO2 addition, i am more than happy to go this way. I have plenty of experience with non-co2 tanks myself.

Quote:
Enough, certainly. I tend to go a bit higher, running 4 39w HOT5s on a 36" 34 US gallon tank and 5 54W HOT5s on a 48" x 24" x 24", but then, I also run a lot of injected CO2...a RedSea paintball-tank unit on the 34G and a full-size 10lb tank on the 120. I really like using the powerhead diffusers, as they provide near 100% efficiency...if you do CO2, consider either those or a quality glass diffuser, but make sure that you clean the disc regularly, or it will clog....the ladder diffusers are not worth the plastic they are formed from.
For 1 thing i am not you, i do not want to go higher, to go higher means i will definately need pressurized co2, again i dont want to.
The tank is only 18" high it does not require anymore light than i will have.

I appreciate your advice i really do, but please accept that i am happy to go the direction i am going. I am not a complete novice in this area

My old 90gal non-co2 tank scapes

CO2 is not the be all end all of having a lovely planted tank, and honestly it can be a bit annoying to be told you MUST have it ( and high end light) to have a beautiful planted tank.

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharni View Post
Remembering i live in completely different country and am rural, what might be 100 to you is definately NOT going to be that for me
Not so...your dollar and mine are less than 2 cents apart, and shipping to Australia from Canada, UK or the USA is actually very inexpensive....I know, I have sold a lot on eBay to rural folk in Aus.

Quote:
2 litre coke bottles will do the job, through a small powerhead
Not sure of availability down there, but I understand that Ocean Spray juice bottles are fantastic....heavier, with a wider mouth, larger bottoms (to prevent tipping), and overall more rugged.

Quote:
I appreciate your advice i really do, but please accept that i am happy to go the direction i am going. I am not a complete novice in this area
I do accept that...just trying to throw out some ideas and advice...four decades and over 2500 aquaria has given me a lot to share.

Quote:
My old 90gal non-co2 tank scapes
Very nice. It is pleasant to see someone doing angels well....they seem to have fallen out of top popularity here in North America in the past 20 years.

Quote:
CO2 is not the be all end all of having a lovely planted tank, and honestly it can be a bit annoying to be told you MUST have it ( and high end light) to have a beautiful planted tank.
It is essential in some degree, but it is not a necessity to have via a delivery system. I have done both, and simply find that using a pressurised system permits you to do a lot more with the tank, and I hate being limited. I am not quite AGA or ADA material yet, but I am working towards it.

Aquarist since 1971

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Betta Bomb

Great tank set ups!! Can't wait to see how it pans out!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Not so...your dollar and mine are less than 2 cents apart, and shipping to Australia from Canada, UK or the USA is actually very inexpensive....I know, I have sold a lot on eBay to rural folk in Aus.
I do not buy anything from overseas ever, i buy Australian, support my own country. And not all rural areas are the same. Posties do not even deliver where i am *L* Again regardless of cost etc, i just plain do NOT want to do pressurized CO2!!

Quote:
Not sure of availability down there, but I understand that Ocean Spray juice bottles are fantastic....heavier, with a wider mouth, larger bottoms (to prevent tipping), and overall more rugged.
Coke bottles will do the job perfectly, they are designed to hold built up pressure and sit quite well.

Quote:
I do accept that...just trying to throw out some ideas and advice...four decades and over 2500 aquaria has given me a lot to share.
And as i said i read your ideas, but they do not match mine. You are not the only one with a good amount of experience. Advice can be given, but please respectfully do not continue to badger when the person has over and over said they are not interested in doing something your way I dont want a tank i have to monitor constantly or trim constantly because of wild CO2 growth. I like my low tech low maintenance tanks, i wanna enjoy them not constatly have my hands in them adjusting *L*

Quote:
Very nice. It is pleasant to see someone doing angels well....they seem to have fallen out of top popularity here in North America in the past 20 years.
Angels are still quite popular here.

Quote:
It is essential in some degree, but it is not a necessity to have via a delivery system. I have done both, and simply find that using a pressurised system permits you to do a lot more with the tank, and I hate being limited. I am not quite AGA or ADA material yet, but I am working towards it.
I like limits, it makes you try new stuff to try to push the boundries of them further than others think they can be pushed.
Plants need CO2 definately, what i meant by the be all end all is the deliberate addition of CO2.
The tanks above are proof of that fact. I have had many tell me it is impossible, that those tanks had to have had CO2 added, calling me a liar in essence. Why, because the die hard 'you must have CO2 to have a decent tank' people are stuck in their thinking.

Again, respectfully, if you like all your high end gadgets, well and good. I am more than happy to play in the low tech part of the aquarium hobby.

As stated if i feel the tank needs CO2 it will be DIY or nothing at all.

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Great tank set ups!! Can't wait to see how it pans out!
Thanx

I'm looking forward to getting started!

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The new light and canister arrived today..woohooooo
Am heading into town shortly to get some varnish/lacquer to do waterproof the stand.
Getting closer

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Stand now polyurethaned, just finishing drying before tank is put back on it.

Dog~ Nika (f)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise

Tags
tank