new tank setup, no fish, cloudy water? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

i just did an ammonia kit test. i took the vial, filled it with water, added 2 drops of the stuff it gives. and nothing changed within the vial. should it turn a certain colour? cause the ph test did

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
awesome, i have all that written down too lol. i just may look into getting a plant since it'll just look nicer. do you know of any algae eaters bottom feeding guys that are freshwater room temp? or a snail? i dunno, i just DO KNOW that i feel it's a good idea to have one? lol
You don't need an algae eater. Regardless of what petstores tell you...they just want to sell you the fish.

But if you'd like one you could check out apple snails...they can tolerate a wide range of temperatures. As long as it doesn't get too cold. Like below 70. They eat sinking wafers, fish food, and vegetables. They don't do well in water with a low pH and you'll have much better luck if you occasionally add a small amount of calcium to the water (sold for marine tanks). They come in many colors and are pretty peaceful....but a bit messy, hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i just did an ammonia kit test. i took the vial, filled it with water, added 2 drops of the stuff it gives. and nothing changed within the vial. should it turn a certain colour? cause the ph test did
Since you just got the tank set up there probably won't be ammonia just yet. But yeah, it should've changed color. I can look at the instructions tomorrow . It was supposed to at least change to yellow.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

lol ok thak so much for everything! i'll go to bed now, i need to get my patience on! lolol

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

so! today i asked and got a cup of tank water from my bro in law's tank upstairs. i also took a scuzzy floating leaf and a handful of gravel. i poured the water in the tank and sprinkled the gravel on the bottom. for what it's worth, before i did this i woke up and looked at the tank, and it's not worse than yesterday, its' the same. so with my adding some water, leaf, and gravel, i shall be patient and not do a water change, but just wait and see what happens

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

So are you cycling with Bio-Spira? If so then you don't need to do anything besides add it .

But if you're doing it the long way you're off to a good start . Add fish food every day or so...otherwise the beneficial bacteria will just die.

~Stephanie

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
okay thanks what i'll do is sleep on it, and tomorrow if it's worse, i'll do a partial change. if it's the same i'll do a partial....(something to do lol), and if it's even a smidge better i'll leave it. i read in my handy helper booklet that fishfood affects this cycle. if i add a teensy sprinkle will it benefit or be counterproductive? also i don't have a vacuum thingy. we're on welfare (the canadian equivalent) so i don't have budget room to go get one. plus if i can just siphon with a bucket and a hose, well i'll do just that lol. it hasn't gotten worse the past half a day, for what that's worth
We have a gravel vacuum and my husband went and bought air line tubing at the hardware store. He got like 15 feet for $5 or something like that. Your hose should do just as well as the tubing. We prefer the tubing cause it gives better suction and pulls more waste out than our gravel thing
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks sara!

sasami i dont have the bio spira yet, we have to go to a better pet store than the one right near us (its real sketchy so i don't spend my money there). tomorrow is reserved for sis in law and playoff hockey (go sens so) so maaay be thursday. friday we have pat's friend's birthday. sat more hockey *cross fingers*. lol by then it'll have cycled itself lol. i fed the tank again today lol and tested for ammonia, nothing so far lol

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
thanks sara!

sasami i dont have the bio spira yet, we have to go to a better pet store than the one right near us (its real sketchy so i don't spend my money there). tomorrow is reserved for sis in law and playoff hockey (go sens so) so maaay be thursday. friday we have pat's friend's birthday. sat more hockey *cross fingers*. lol by then it'll have cycled itself lol. i fed the tank again today lol and tested for ammonia, nothing so far lol
You might want to call first since a lot of stores don't stock it. Once I called ten stores in my area and none had it . So I just order online. Just figured I'd let ya know. Oh, and when I asked about it they usually tried to convince me to buy another product or claimed it didn't work . Got into a bit of a debate that way XD.

Ammonia usually takes a little while to show up . And I'm sorry I didn't copy the instructions for you...I totally forgot until now and am about to go to bed x_x;;. I promise that I'll remember tomorrow!

~Stephanie

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

lol no worries, thanks for the warnign about calling around. i definitley will, being here in the city, there's gotta be an aquarium store somewhere that sells it *fingers crossed*. right now it's good a little fuzzy,but still not any cloudier, i can still see the back pic i taped on the tank. i just keep rearrenging it lol, i'm so bad

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ammonia Test Kit instructions:

1. Fill test tube with 5ml of water to be tested (this means to the line)
2. Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #1, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of the drops added.
3. Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #2, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of the drops added.
4. Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for 5 seconds.
5. Wait five minutes for the color to develop.

I don't know if it came with the color chart card but if not:

Yellow- 0ppm
Very light green- .25ppm
Light green- .50ppm
Darker but still somewhat light green- 1.0ppm
Green- 2.0ppm
Dark green- 4.0ppm
Really dark forest green- 8.0ppm

(Remember that ammonia should remain at 0 in a mature tank and even small amounts can kill fish)

Freshwater pH Test Kit Instructions:

1. Fill test tube with 5ml of water to be tested (this means to the line)
2. Add 3 drops of Indicator, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of the drops added.
3. Cap the test tube and invert the tube several times to mix solution.

pH Color Chart:

Yellow- 6.0
Very light green- 6.4
Light green- 6.6
Light teal- 6.8
Light blue- 7.0
Blue- 7.2
Darker blue- 7.6

Of course, that's for the regular pH test. They also make a High Range pH test which should be used if your water naturally has a high pH.

~Stephanie

Tags
algae eater, fish food, pet store, tap water, tropical fish