new ten gallon tank. what fish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Talking new ten gallon tank. what fish?

I just got a ten gallon tank I have two female guppies and a male guppy in it. I was originally planning on filling my tank with little baby guppies, but then I decided I needed a little variety. so, I was wondering what your recommendations are for fish compatible with guppies. and also do any of you know if its ok to put eels in with guppies? I like the little eels they have in the pet store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is the tank cycled? Since it's new I wouldn't add any new fish just yet.

Honestly, I would either take the male back to the store or separate him if you want a community tank. In a 10-gallon it's going to be fully stocked once you start getting babies. Guppies breed like rabbits.

I'm not sure which eels you're interested in but I'm thinking maybe you actually mean loaches? A lot of them look similar to eels. A common one is the Kuhlii Loach:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/pr...ge/p_89845.jpg
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...hWFLo_Ap4A.jpg

Or perhaps you saw a Bichir:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1988

If it was definitely an eel then it was probably a Fire or Tire Track Eel. Neither species is appropriate for a 10-gallon. But if you like eel-looking fish then a couple of Kuhlii Loaches might work.

Other good community fish for a 10-gallon that would work with guppies (in most cases) are neon tetras, white cloud minnows, pygmy cory cats, cherry barbs, cardinal tetras, and platies (two or three of the same gender). There are a bunch more, those are just a few that come to mind .

Good luck with your tank!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

The "eels" you are talking about,must be some sort of loach,as mentioned.

Platties are very compatable with guppies.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

If your set on breeding guppies you'll prolly want a few more tanks, as they can multiply very quickly. Your two females are more than likely already pregnant. so you might want to move your male to another tank or take him back to the store. You'll have plenty of guppies soon. if you still want something else maybe you would be interested in getting something small that would clean up the bottem a bit like ghost shrimp or possible some snails, careful what kind of snails you get tho, since some also multiply like crazy.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much for your help! my guppy had her babies and Im planning on buying a kuhli loach to keep my algea eater freddy company.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemewings View Post
thanks so much for your help! my guppy had her babies and Im planning on buying a kuhli loach to keep my algea eater freddy company.
Khuli's actually like to be in groups of their own kind.
That being said,I only have one khuli at the moment,as his buddies died and I have not been able to find anymore!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

You prolly shouldnt buy anymore fish for awhile. With the guppy having her babies i bet your aquarium is getting very full. you dont want to get overstocked.

My Furry Family

Tags
cherry barbs, cory cats, ghost shrimp, neon tetras, pet store