New tropical tank coming ( Maybe ) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

New tropical tank coming ( Maybe )

My cousin Stuart is coming around today , well this afternoon . We are going to a large animal store nr Sevenoaks in Kent to have a look at the prospect of me getting a new tank and unit for my tropicals.

I would like to walk out of there today with something very similar to what I already have that the coldwaters are in , and besides I am deperate for the space the unit has underneath too , although not quite so much so after I had a tidy up with mum the other day and moved my Cd's from the hallway into one side of the coldwaer unit.

Out of sight and out of mind.

And if I do get a new tank and unit for my tropicals it will be more room for the fish within , I can finaly start thinking about buying some water plants , because tropical dont eat them to my knowledge and it will be easier for me to maintain them due to the higher posistionm , something I have struggled with for years because of my height and my random joint pains.

* Crosses fingers *

So who knows I may come back with a new tank today , of course I will still have to wait two to three weeks for the water to be spot on , if anyone has any ideas of how to speed up the treatment process without cutting any corners , please share.

= ^ _ ^ =

Toky-Ohki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats nice Jon!
Looking forward to pics of your new set up once you get it going.

That is my plan also. I probably will be setting up a tropical tank by spring time, at least thats the plan. I havent had a tropical tank for a long while now and i miss it.

Have a nice afternoon with your cousin Stuart Be safe.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Can't wait to see pics once it's set up!

Oh, and I don't want to burst your bubble but some tropicals do eat plants . Not many, though, and if you have fast growing plants they can't do much damage. My platies eat plants but only certain ones. I didn't mind until they completely ate my cabomba >_<.

Supplementing their diet with fresh vegetables will make them less likely to munch on plants . I feed my platies and guppies brocolli, carrots, romaine lettuce, baby spinach, escarole, and cucumbers.

What kind of lighting system are you getting? For a larger tank you'll need very strong lighting to keep plants although I'm sure you know that .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:40 PM

Have fun shopping! Hope you can get a new tank.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Well ladies my cousin Stuart and I had a drive this afternoon and arrived at the big Bird , Aquatics , Repile and others complex nr Sevenoaks.

first started out trying to find some nuggets for Toky-Ohki as she is on a new high roughage and high fibre diet to help with her soft poop problems , got two bags of nuggets and saw three of the cutest Chocolate dutch bunnies that were not far short of being kits , one in particular was doing the binkies everywhere .

Eventualy after loading the trolley with various bunny and mouse related items plus stuff some bits Stuart needed for his own critters , we made our way to the Aquatics building , and not long after arriving I had my eye on a unit and tank of the Juwel variety , it is a very similar colour to the unit I have under my 4 ft coldwater tank and had the exact same handles as the ones I added onto my coldwater unit not long after I bought that one , basically it was the handles that sold it to me.

It is a bigger tank than the base it rests on but saying that there is a lot of storage space underneath that I am well happy about , it is a lot higher than my coldwater setup , the tank is nice and big but the main thing is I still have floorspace around low down.

Stuart and I put the base together late this evening rather like an IKEA flat pack construction that was pretty easy to do , the tank was then placed on top and the internal filter constructed , after stuart left A.K.A reznik , I started putting the Aquarium compost in and patting out the tography of the environment within.

I have to wash the grit first before putting it in and thats going to be a hard job , the Aquarium and stand came as a package with the whole caboodle and for only &#163;199 I thought that was a good deal , but what with Stu's bits my Bloodworm x2 , Eheim Aquaball 2210 , Gravel , Aquarium compost, Bunny and Rabbit stuff I ended up laying waste to over &#163;350 squid.

< < STING > >

the moths in my pocket are being burnt alive .

I have got some pics of the Setup as it is not with just the Aquarium soil inside , I will have to post them up tommoraz or whenever I get the chance.

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 11-18-2006 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 08:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats exciting!Look forward to piccies!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:50 AM

can't wait to see pics!! have you decided on any fish yet? in my experience mollies will eat plants and so will silver dollars so if you do plants i would stay away from those
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

= ^ _ ^ =

Well I just spent three quarters of an hour from 7pm GMTfilling my new tropical tank up with water , I estimated 55 jugs of water at 1600 and it took 57 jugs so I was pretty well spot on there.

I will wait a day or two before I put my Sera nitrivec in that has the bacterium for a internal filter for the whole cycle thing , the water still looks a bit cloudy even though I had washed the gravel before I put it in.

But I have allready finished off a small old bottle of Sera Aquatan just to get things started and treat the Chlorine that water treatment leaves behind.

I may have had a new doudble socket put in new in the living room but I am still lacking , the Tetra's and brunel will have to stay in the old tank for at least two weeks before I can even think about putting them in.

Pictures !!

Oh yea

* sings *

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

= ^ _ ^ =

Ok well this is what I have so far , pictures of my new set up as it goes through it's many stages , the final picture is a Eheim Aquaball that I have put in there to stir the Sera aquatan up and get the cycle moving.

The Aquarium allready came with its own filtration system but it does'nt have a bubbler , well not that I need one right now anyway :lol;

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ndsoilwasa.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...topography.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...asstandard.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...cals/Juwel.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...eingwashed.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ankFigtree.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...astbowltos.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...capethatTe.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...SeraAquata.jpg

* sings *

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 11-19-2006 at 05:11 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Jon i really like it!
You did a really nice job with the bottom, gravel, and the way you made it all wavy..Cool!
Its gonna look so nice when the fish finally are able to be living in there.
(yes i like the fish smilies)

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:22 PM

wow that looks really good, I cant wait to see pics with the fish in it!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nice tank . Can't wait to see it when it's planted and filled with water!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

The tank is looking good...it will look really nice once it is planted and has fish in it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 AM

It looks good! How exciting!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I love the gravel and how you layered it. I will also have a tropicals tank soon as my goldies will have a big pond to themselves so I am thinking on taking out all the old gravel and putting in new stuff, adding real plants and maybe getting Gourami's as they attacked my goldies before and I will only have a few Black widow Tetra's now. I love gourami's!! My cousin Amanda (Lisa's sister) has Gourami's and I love them!! Beautiful fish...or maybe I should get 1-2 Oscar's...but they would not get along with my Tetra's thou!! Love your tank!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
bigger tank, romaine lettuce