Photos! Oh No!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Oh No!!

One of my cory's is injured!!! My brother pointed out that he was stuck to the filter so I unplugged it and he got free but he can no longer swim properly/ I have moved him in to the box (with holes) that I used with fry to keep him safe but from just looking at him he looks terrible!! I think one of his fins is broken, as there is red in it.

I am going to leave it for a few hours and see if he can pick himself up and start swimming around again but if he doesn't I will have to end his pain.

Please help if you have any suggestions, he is laying on his side and his fins are clapped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Should I sey him up in a smaller tank with an air pump and hope for the best?? I know that they are sensitive to salt... what should I do??

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That doesn't sound good but I wouldn't be so quick to euthanize him. Isolate him from the others and keep his water very, very clean so that the wound doesn't become infected. Don't add salt--not only are cories sensitive (as you said) but I can't think of any reason to add it any way.

Instead, I would use a small amount of Melafix to speed up healing and do daily water changes. You definitely want an air pump, yup. Make sure that the tank you're putting him in is cycled--either that, or at least add a filter cartridge and/or some gravel from the main tank to keep things stable.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

The only tank I have available right now is a one gallon which is tall so I don't know if it would work. Or a have a shoe box sized plastic container that I have handy and holds water.

I'll go see if my parents or brother can drive me to the store to pick something up. If they don't have Melafix is there anything else?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Ok well my parents nor brother can take me to the store right now... so I am doing everything else I can. I removed him from the tank and set him up in the plastic box with a scoop of gravel and water from the tank. I also put in a bubbler.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I checked on him and it is hard to tell whether he is alive or dead. He is in a standing position with minimal to no gill movement. Yesterday he was open mouth breathing and his gills were going like crazy, but he might have stopped that because the water is more oxygenated with the bubbler. I am unsure of what to do with him now. And as I said before he has some bleeding (internal??) around one fin, and he is still clamped.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw I'm sorry *hugs*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Newborn Pup

my convict was in a tank in the store and he was practicly dead he had no fins and scratches in his body he was the size of a dime and i dont like baby things dying so the store gave me him for free. he swam like a flounder but didnt go any where. so i just put him in a 1 gal bowl a little bubbler and clean water when i fed him i would put it right on his face so he could eat it i also added melafix verry little though. in a month he had a little tail fin and some of his other fins grew back and now he is 4 inches and the prettiest convict ive ever seen. so just try and do that with the corry cat and he may heal great. oh and abouth the blood red marks on his fins just give him some melafix and good conditions. sorry if i gave you a whole story

My Version of transformers speach

I am Mr. Gray , and I send this message to any surviving mudskippers taking refuge among the stars. We are here. We are waiting.

My Tanks

Mangrove tank
Mr Gray my african mudskipper
and the one guppy he didnt eat

Cichlid tank
Convict my convict cichlid

Bettas
Paperface a red betta with a white face
November a blue red and green betta

Comunity tank
2 sunsetfire platys
6 glow light tetras
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Just thought I would update and say he didn't make it

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Poor fishy RIP

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie