Oh NOOOO, ICH! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Oh NOOOO, ICH!

I came home from work today and turned on he fish tank light like I do everyday and I noticed all of my fish have ich. I've never seen it this bad before. I gave them the medication right away, but I don't think they're gonna make it. I didn't notice anything yesterday on any of them. How could it get so bad in one evening? My shark has it the worst, he's covered in it. I feel so bad for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Here's a pic of my sharks head. His whole body is like this. I really hope they all make it. I just don't understand how they got it and why so quick.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

Riese I am so sorry! I just recently went thru a bout of ich as well and lost some fish!

Here is my thread about it,there is advice in there.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/ich-45831.html

I hope your tank and fish turn out okay!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx, that helped a lot. Can I put salt in the water even though I put in medication? And if I can, how much salt would I put in? It's a 25-29 Gallon.(Can't remember exactly)

I'm about to loose one fish, my male green barb, he's not swimming too good, upside down at times. I was hoping not too loose any, but I really don't want my loach to die.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Thanx, that helped a lot. Can I put salt in the water even though I put in medication? And if I can, how much salt would I put in? It's a 25-29 Gallon.(Can't remember exactly)

I'm about to loose one fish, my male green barb, he's not swimming too good, upside down at times. I was hoping not too loose any, but I really don't want my loach to die.
I don't see any reason that you couldn't use the salt too. Although I have no personal experience of mixing them since I'm not a fan of medicating for Ich (and most diseases...but that's another story).

I think what I posted on that thread covers everything. If you have a loach it's important that you cut the dosage in half, at least for now. They can be more sensitive.

Don't feel bad about it suddenly taking over, that's how Ich is. As for how it happened...it's almost always triggered by buying new fish. Adding fish to any aquarium is going to cause at least some stress to the system and tank cycle. The more fish, the higher the stress level. When fish are stressed their immune system isn't going to be as effective and they'll have a harder time fighting off parasites and disease.

Edit: A carton of aquarium salt usually has dosage instructions but there doesn't seem to be one "perfect" amount. I use about three tea spoons.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx Sasami! I hope most of them survive, I've lost three so far and it looks like two more are going to die really soon. My shark looks so much worse then yesterday, I feel so bad for him.

Just one more question that you'll maybe know. Why did the ich only come now if I've had the new fish for almost a month?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Thanx Sasami! I hope most of them survive, I've lost three so far and it looks like two more are going to die really soon. My shark looks so much worse then yesterday, I feel so bad for him.

Just one more question that you'll maybe know. Why did the ich only come now if I've had the new fish for almost a month?
The Ich has been in your tank longer, it just took a while for it to actually take hold. Remember, too, that the Ich you can actually see as spots are the "adult" form of the parasite. It's not how they start out. Depending on your water temperature it could even take weeks to reach that stage (although that's unlikely if you don't have a cold water set-up or something).

(Forgive me if I'm not actually making sense. It's almost 5am but I can't sleep so I figured I'd check PT :p)

Good luck with your fish, I'm sorry you lost some already .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

No, you made pefect sense. I lost five more fish today including my shark. I'm pretty sure my pleco is going to die too and the gourami's. I've lost 8 out of 16 fish so far, this totally sux!

Maybe I don't have a very good medication or am I doing something wrong?

I took out the carbon filter, raised the temperature and gave them the medication acording to the directions it said. There was just enough medication left in the bottle to treat the tank. It said it treats the water for a whole month. I threw the bottle away already so I don't remember what it was called. Should I buy more medication and treat them again if it's not too late?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
I've lost 8 out of 16 fish so far, this totally sux!
Well I lost 3 more now so make that 11 out of 16.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry!
I know what your going thru,as I just went thru the same thing and only have a couple fish left!

What brand of meds are you using? Maybe that has something to do with it?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I threw the bottle away and I can't remember what it was called. It worked all the other times I had ich, but I lost a lot of fish then too just not nearly this many.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's really hard to help without knowing the brand since I have no idea what was actually in it . I can't recommend a medication knowing that it might not mix well with the first one...you know what I mean?

What seems weird to me, though, is that from what you said it seems like a one-time dosage? Most Ich treatments are supposed to be used for 10-14 days (depending on the brand). If you saw the medication at a store would you recognize it? Do you maybe remember the color of the bottle or something?

There isn't much else you can do besides keep up on water changes. I really hope your other fish pull through.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I've been trying to find a pic of it online. I'd know it if I saw it, but that's it. I really wish I hadn't thrown it away. I only have 4 fish left now. This really sux, I feel so horrible. I hate seeing them suffer like this, but I just can't flush them when they're still breathing even though I know they're going to die in a matter of hours or even minutes. I'm going to the pet store tomorrow (it's 30 min away from here) and I'll see if they still sell the same stuff. I bought it quite awile ago and they have new owners too, so I doubt they have the same meds.

This is why I put my tank away for 3 years, after having it for over a year they all got ich and died, I couldn't handle seeing them suffer so I just put the tank away. Now I thought I'd give it a try again and look what happens!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww hun, don't feels so responsible for this, ich comes when it comes and sometimes our efforts just aren't enough. just know that your fishies are swimmin in the big sea of heaven. *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx Mulder!

I found the meds that I used:
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-17370

And now I have 3 fish left, they don't look too bad, but I'm still afraid they won't make it too. I have a tiger barb, a red eye tetra and my loach.

Last edited by Nikko; 02-02-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Tags
aquarium salt, fish tank, pet store