Oh Nooooooooooooo!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh Nooooooooooooo!!!!

mrs. peels my blue crayfish has died...and i think i am the culprit... i did a water change for her yesterday...and she was fine...approx 24hr later shes walking around...climbing..acting like her usual self...i was feeding my rat some bread..and i foolishly decided to give a few crumbs to the crayfish...i left for an hour to go shopping and BOOM she was gone..she was pink underneath and was lying next to the bread...is it the iodine that killed her..or perhaps my rat could of had something on her paws (i use a bitter spray on surfaces...maybe some was on her paws...but honestly i dont think she even touched the bread)...this is soooo weird..i think it was the bread that did it, could something else have been the cause..ammonia/nitrite are zero and nitrate is 5mg/L....i cant figure it out...i have had her since july 21...could it of been the oxygen content was too low...was she barely surviving and it built up now??? Im stunned

this has been a horrible day, on top of this my oldest mouse passed away and another died as well...all in the same day...AND i now have an ant invasion...can it get any worse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry you lost your crayfish and mice.Poor things.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM

i'm sorry for your loss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think it was just a coincidence and you shouldn't blam yourself. People actually add Iodine sometimes to help with molts. They are scavengers who can eat almost anything and I'm sure the bread wouldn't have killed her. Being wild-caught she was probably ill to begin with or had parasites...you see that all the time with wild-caught fish. Even if she was captive bred you probably didn't do anything wrong...inverts are sensitive and can die for seemingly no reason.

I know you take great care of your aquariums and I doubt you did anything wrong. That crayfish was very, very lucky to live with you. Many end up in little bowls in a kid's room or something.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thanks for the comfort you guys..i still am in shock to walk around and explore to this...she was just warming up to me and i was planning on adding another piece of driftwood to that 20gal tank of hers...i was even thinking of getting a 40gal long for her bc i thought that since she was having so much fun exploring that tank..*sighs*...i really shouldnt plan that far ahead..when i got her i tried not to get attach...at least till i had her for a few mnths..but its hard...i monitored her all the time bc i was scared i would do something wrong and she might end up like this..

and now upon closer inspection there were these white "algae" spots in the tank...and i looked at the back wall..and to my horror there are tiny white worms!!!!!!!!!!!!

i remember something like this happened a while back and these worms grew and COVERED the whole floor of the aquarium that i had...killed all my fish..and i had to use tons of salt to kill all the plants and where ever else they might have been...ohh my...what if i accidentally contaminated my other tank with my bettas?????? I think im headed for another disaster...

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE...

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

PM Dawna (GeishaGirl) as she had a worm issues and her fish died...it sounds similar.I say PM her and see what she says.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

that s a really good idea, thanks Lisa

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your welcome!

* Lisa *

Tags
captive bred