Which One? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Which One?

Okay...I wanna have tropicals again,but only want one species.I want either a guppy tank,platy tank,molly tank,swordtail tank or convict cichlid tank! I cannot decide which ones I want more,as I love all of these fish!

I didn't have luck with mollies before,but thats because I didn't use salt,as it was yrs ago when I had them.So I wanna try them again,but would be heartbroken if they didn't last.

I had all of these fish before and did well with them,except the mollies.What do you think I should go with?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Why not do a tank with swordtails, platies, and guppies? They all will thrive in the same kind of enviroment and tend to do well together . I've never had swordtails but have kept guppies and platies together with no issues.

Or you could do a brackish tank with some mollies and maybe some fiddler crabs or something?

What size tank were you planning on getting? Platies and guppies don't need a very large aquarium. Swordtails and mollies need more room and should have at least a 30-gallon. And as you know, the convicts need a ton of space!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 PM

convict cichlid tank

I keep looking at angelfish,did you ever have luck with angels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Why not do a tank with swordtails, platies, and guppies? They all will thrive in the same kind of enviroment and tend to do well together . I've never had swordtails but have kept guppies and platies together with no issues.

Or you could do a brackish tank with some mollies and maybe some fiddler crabs or something?

What size tank were you planning on getting? Platies and guppies don't need a very large aquarium. Swordtails and mollies need more room and should have at least a 30-gallon. And as you know, the convicts need a ton of space!
I love the brackish idea
I want fiddler crabs eventually.
I want a couple cooler habitats,a couple tropical,a brackish,then the bigger investment: saltwater! ^_^
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:

I wanna do a 20 gallon or bigger.If I went with convicts,I would obviously get a bigger tank then that! It has been years since I had them and they were such amusing fishies!

I had platties and guppies together before too .But I was thinking on just one species of fish for now.Thats why I cannot decide.

And Melissa,I never had angels before,so I dunno if I have luck with those.I was gonna get them yrs ago,but didn't after.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 AM

^^^ I still have to get the mag to tell you which aquariums are listed Wasn't down shore today.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM

if you only want one species i vote guppies. they come in such amazing colors and i don't think any two are alike. we have been told that if you keep multiple males you have to put females in with them to keep them from fighting. if that is true then you would have to be prepared for babies. otherwise you could keep any of those together. mollies can live in fresh too. we had a sailfin mollie in our fresh community for 2yrs. he survived a move and everything. we have angels now and we keep them in a 55gal. they have grown huge. i have seen them kept in smaller tanks successfully but i don't think it is the best choice. i will post some pics of them.

the big black one is mine and the silver is my husbands. they are less than a year old.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think a tank of fancy guppies would be awesome . There are so many different kinds! When I kept guppies I had a green cobra, a yellow tux, a red cobra, a neon blue tux, an orange sunshine, a blonde tux, and a strange-looking one with an almost transparent body with random pastel-colored spots. I just had males...that's what I would recommend. Not only are the males more colorful but this way you won't have a kazillion babies . Having males and females together constantly is stressful on the girls, anyway, and shortens their lifespans since they're always having babies!

Some people may tell you that males will fight without any females around but that isn't true especially if you have a larger tank with plenty of hiding spots. Occasionally you might get a nippy guppy but very few are actually aggressive.

And I totally agree with keeping angelfish in large aquariums...they definately need at least 55-gallons.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 PM

I say guppies! They are so beautiful. If I can ever put up my 55 gallon again. Im going to fill it with guppies! jk.

The half black guppies are my favorite.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I was thinking more and I think I will go with either guppies or platties.I had more then one male guppy together before and never had problems.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to look for a new tank and get that all prepared.It will most likely be AFTER I move tho.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:

I agree!! Those three would be great!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Are convict cichild's the black and yellow ones that look like bumble bees? If so I LOVE those. One of the tanks at work has those. The first tank of them passed away one by one but one was left. He turned almost all black and was very shy. He would only come out for his "dad". I was very fond of him. Unfortunately the power went out one weekend and he passed away. I was very upset. I never thought to run over and check on him. I wish I had known.
Now there is a new tank of them. I refuse to get attached to them.
Once I get attached I wind up cleaning the tank! I HATE cleaning fish tanks. That is Jay's job at our house. I get enough of cleaning tanks with the turtle.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Convicts are greyish to bluey-grey with black stripes.They sometimes develop a greenish/purple shimmer during spawning,mine spawned,but sadly the female died shortly after laying the eggs and the male ate the eggs.

Here are a couple pics!

http://www.fish-tropical.net/oscar/i...ct_cichlid.jpg

http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_0..._mark_s_05.jpg

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/F9.jpg

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/CichlidPIX/cinvict%20wwm.jpg

* Lisa *

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 PM

I say cichlids! They are just great fish to have. I have 5 Jack Dempseys and 1 bumble bee cichlid.

The bumblebee cichlids are my fav too Kathydip. Here is a pic of my bumblebee. Not the best pic but I will try to get another one.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

What a beautiful fish!

* Lisa *

Tags
bigger tank, fish tank, males together