options for my tank? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

options for my tank?

I currently have a 25 gallon set up with plants and hideaways it stays at 82 degree's ( a little warm I know but the heater is for the 40 gallon) I am running 50 gallons of filtration with a HOB filter. So there is a current but it keeps the tank amazingly clear I do 25% water changes weekly.

I have 4 emerald corydoras and have been considering ghost shrimp but I would like to know my options

I would like an inexpensive upkeep so that rules out my wanting ACF ( they eat a ton) and i cant have weak swimmers.

I currently have sundried shrimp, blood worms , Omega one pellets, algae wafers, so something that would eat these would be nice I also like active fish something interesting with funny antics.

I also considered a school of betta girls but they dont swim well and I dont have enough plants and I would like to not have to buy much more if anything since I do have a ton of supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Resident Zoologist

Firstly, it should not be your heater that is causing the warmer temps...even a 500W heater should be able to just maintain any temp you set it to....I suspect a combination of ambient room temp + lights.

That being said, see if your LFS has any wood/flower shrimp or 'vampire' shrimp...easy to keep, and pretty unique/cool. combine those with perhaps a pair of pearl gourami (Trichogaster leeri), a small school of rasbora hets (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), or even a pair of dwarf rams (Microgeophagus ramirezii).

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Mine is not a preset heater its just turned up too high it can be used for any size tank. Its in the basement the room being too warm is not an issue.

I would like if at all possible to just have one large-ish fish in the tank.

None of our LFS sell any shrmp but ghosts and I think the ghosts are fun to watch

What would be one lone fish that would like the tank?

I could also consider a school Maybe if we cant find something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
is a little "special"

Who told you ACF are expensive? Squishy is probably the cheapest pet I have, when it comes to maintenance. A $10 pack of blood worms lasts me a couple months, and he gets crickets and waxworms as treats. You can feed them turtle pellets too if they will eat them.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Just all the variety they need and I coudl not keep my corydoras with them.

And for a fish they are expensive I mean.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I think I found a nice looking stocking option for my tank I have the height of tyhe tank at 14 inches since thats as high as I can have the water for ADF

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't recommend ADFs for a tank with fish. They have trouble getting enough food as they're slow eaters and intimidated easily. You'd probably end up having to hand-feed (while fending off the fish swarming around your hand).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I know I have feeding tongs for that very reason I will feed the adf and the fish at the same time ... Distracting 4 fish is not very hard ...

But we will see It would make the tank very bottom stocked ... If I didnt get the ADF it would be a lower maintenance tank thats for sure ... i will see I am worried about them with the full height of my tank anyway.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like a good plan after all. Let us know if everything works well.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!