Oranda - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Oranda

Hello everyone,

I have a red cap oranda. When i bought him the pet store told me he would get bigger, along with his "cap". When I was looking at the oranda today, he's got what looks like dandruff on his red cap. it's not anywhere else on him, just his head. is this cap growing, or is there something wrong with him? has anyone had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Would love to see pics of your little friend! That would be helpful so that we could see what exactly you mean.

As for the dandruff like stuff on his cap/hood these fish can sometimes get infections from debris and bacteria, and fungi that can settle in the little folds on his cap. It sounds like this could be a fungus. Fungus is actually a symptom of a bacterial infection and should be treated with meds that treat both fungus, true fungus and bacterial infections. Maybe you could use a combination
of Maracyn and Maracyn Two and follow the directions on the package. How long has he been like that? Does it seem to be getting worse?
Redcap Oranda Goldfish are considered delicate and not recommended as a beginner fish. Is this your first one? How long have you had him? Do u have other fish with him or is he alone. Size of his tank? Filter? How often do you do partial water changes?
Sorry for all the questions..just trying to get an idea on what could be going on.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Title Thief Victim

Pics ? I wanna see! lol

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I tried to get pics, but either I am no photographer, or Mr. Wiggles is just way too fast!

Anyhow, this white stuff looks like its starting to go into his eye. He was fine on Saturday, Sunday evening is when I noticed it.

This is my first Oranda. He is the only fish in the tank, but I have 2 snails also. I have had him since December 21st 2006. It is a 10 gl, with a Whisper filter. I tested the water and the nitrites were high about 2 weeks ago. They are down to nothing now. I do partial water changes every Tuesday and since I got the tank set up I vaccumed only once to get the nitrites down for him and it worked, so that was a good thing. But I want to help him now since this just started, I don't want this to get any worse. I have another small 5 gallon tank I can set up to treat him, I just don't know what has happend to him and what I can do to stop it. And I hate asking the pet store, because sometimes, they are not too helpful. thanks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm not a goldfish person but maybe it's a fungal or bacterial infection? Look it up .

I recommend Binox Jungle Fungus Eliminator (or something like that).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I went to the pet store and they gave me Maracyn & Melafix. Should I put him in a smaller tank until treatment is over so I don't hurt the snails? Also, do I use the Melafix after the Maracyn?

Thanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would use the maracyn first then wait about a few days and then do a partial water change. Then use the Melafix as dircted. Make sure you take out the active carbon during treatments. Melafix is very good. Thats what i would do but didnt you ask in what order to use the meds at the place where u got it? How to use it? You should always ask questions.
I would treat him in the 10 gallon since the bateria/fungus in in there i would want to make sure to kill all of it in the tank you will ultimatly keep him in. As for the snails i do know that some meds that contain copper will kill snails. Maracyn does not have copper in it so it should be okay. It should be safe for aquatic plants too But Please Read the package thouroughly. All packages of meds usually will advise about invertebrates and snails. Im pretty sure the Melafix should be okay with snails and invertebrates..its a natural treatment

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I did ask at the pet store. I just trust you guys more because I think most of the people working at the pet store I go to have new people working in the fish area and I don't think they know too much about fish. Which is pretty dumb if you ask me. I was a beginner fish lady and they told me I could put a little shark in with my goldfish and tropicals and I even knew that you couldn't do that! But anyways, I read the maracyn and it reads it is non-toxic to invertebrates. So I will start with the Maracyn and read up more on the Melafix with the snails as the packagae doesn't say. But I do have another question. The Maracyn reads that a carbon filter over 6 days old it may be left in place. My filter is over 6 days, so I will leave the filter in, but the Melafix reads to remove the carbon filter. So after I have used the Melafix should I replace the filter. Thanks so much. I am so glad I can come here to get some help!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would remove the carbon just to be safe..it still might have some strength to it and filter out the maracyn. You want to make sure the med works.
Melafix is safe for snails and invertebrates. Here is some info..Bacterial and Fungal Medications: PimaFix & MelaFix Treatments

Fish Medications and Fish Supplies

Melafix

After your done with the maracyn and the melafix i would wait a few days and then add a new carbon filter cartridge

Keep us posted

Lve Never Fails

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much! You have been so much help. I will keep you posted on how Mr. Wiggles is doing these next few days and weeks!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Your welcome!!

oh and tell Mr. Wiggles to stay still so you can take a picture of him soon when he is feeling better!

Lve Never Fails

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

mr wiggles seems to be clearing up. he seems more annoyed that his tank is cloudy than anything else. i dosed the tank with maracyn monday, tues and wed. he seems to be cleared up, so i don't know if i should use the melafix. he is just following me through the cloudy water when i am checking him out like he is aggrivated that his water is so messy. so should i do a partial water change? should i do melafix? should i put in a new filter if i don't do the melafix? should i vaccuum the gravel? i guess i am just feeling bad for him too because his tank is so cloudy and he seems so frustrated with it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

go back up to post 7....its always good to do a water change when your gonna use another treatment next. After i would run some carbon for a few days, take it out then i would do the Melafix as directed. It shouldnt hurt him being that its a nature based medication, a natural product , heres some good info...Melafix: A Product Review Melafix smells really funny. Thats what i would do but I hope whatever you choose to do helps Mr. Wiggles.

Lve Never Fails

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mr. Wiggles died. I am really sad and frustrated. I did everything I could to help him.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Title Thief Victim

aww im sorry about mr.wiggles! (hugs)

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
pet store