Outdoor ponds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Outdoor ponds

Does anyone have an outdoor pond? I am going to be building one and was hoping to get some ideas. If anyone has pictures of theirs could you share them?

I am only going to be keeping 2 goldfish in it, so its not going to be really big. Somewhere between 100 and 300 gallons probably.

Someone had actually suggested keeping guppies instead of goldfish, I thought that would be pretty neat. I also thought maybe just some Rosy Red minnows.

Mainly I want to attract wildlife such as frogs, toads, turtles, ect. Turtles are pretty wishful thinking, but who knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Will It Ever Change?

we have one, i love it, i thought i'd hate it but it's SO tranquilizing. My father in law put it in himself! i should go take pictures.....in a sec. he bought a kit in a box, came with suuuuper thick rubber tarp, like what those black inner tubes are made of. you dig a hole of what you'd like, put in some sand, then put in tarp, fill with water, line outside with rocks to hold tarp in place. it's about a 4ft diam. circle. the kit-in-a-box also came with a filter fountain thingy. it's so nice. apparently there's a local heron that comes and steals fish from ponds lol, but i have yet to see it. he wants a koi or some goldfish, i suggested maybe some kind of algae eating fish, we'll see. so far it's just a pond, no wildlife. but i know we'll eventually attract froggies since i hear then at night, calling the field behind us. the birds LOVE to bathe along the edges

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Will It Ever Change?

ok here we are, pics, some with fountain off, some with it on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have always wanted to do that but dont think i will ever get around to it.

Amber, I would love to see the whole process as you go about making your pond! That would be so nice. When do you think you will be starting it?

Nat..how much water does that hold? Looks very nice.

Lve Never Fails

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i dunno how much water is in there, it took a good 15 minutes with the garden hose to fill lol. it's about 2-2.5 feet deep, he put in a ledge thingy on one side, so it's shaped like a mini hot tub i guess

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Leo

Mulder, A UV filter would clear the water in your pond right up... I would not recommend an algae eater in an outdoor pond... if he were to get Koi they would eat some of the algae, but a UV filter would really work the best.
Also Storks/Herons are not good in a pond with a rubber liner.. they can 1 tear the liner in your pond up (ruining your pond) and 2 eat/injure your fish... my dad puts up metallic whirly things around his pond to keep them away from his pond.

I will take some pics of my dads HUGE outdoor pond when I go over there later today, and I will try to get some links and the pictures of my dad putting his pond together from start to finish up as soon as I can get access to his computer (which is having issues at this point). He has a ton of links to great pond forums and links for placed to get the best quality stuff for less.

Last edited by Leo; 05-22-2007 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nat...i really think those flowers look so cute all around the pond.

Nice Ally...cant wait to see those pics...im sure Amber could get some good ideas as well
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Will It Ever Change?

cool, very good info to know! it's my father in law's pond so i'll pass the info along. i don't know if he'll get a uv filter for it, he needs to get one for our furnace to kill allergens (slowly getting worse because of stupid cat) but i'll let him know anyways

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Proud New Mommy

We were thinking of starting a pond soon-- here is the webpage we'll be using.

Garden Ponds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I love that pond Natalie! Looks really cute! Thanks for showing me some pictures too.

Monique - I am hoping on digging the spot this weekend. I am just having issues about where I want to put it!

I will try to remember to take step by step pictures as I go.

The thing I am worried about is Hope swimming in my pond, lol. I could see her just taking a fly leap and diving right in!

Thanks for that link, Rocheal! I love the idea's on that page. Very inexpensive!
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you want to attract turtles and frogs I wouldn't go with guppies...they'll all be eaten, hehe.

Good luck with your pond!!! One day I'll definitely have one . I was thinking of setting up a small indoor one. We'll see.

Oh, and I know you didn't mention them but don't get any koi. They need a ton of room. Some people recommend 1000 gallons per fish . I feel 1000 gallons for the first fish and then 500 gallons for each additional one is good to go by. Of course, for very large ponds you can bend those rules a bit.

Need any plant recommendations?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We have a pond. I wanted it for Oscar our turtle. I love it and I hate it. We had it installed by a landscaper that apparently did not completely know what he was doing. It's not deep enough to keep fish in it over the winter. He technically dug it deep enough but then he added the liner and the rocks on the bottom. Now it's no longer deep enough. We lost our first batch of fish. We clean it each spring which leads to a fight. But once it is up an running it is WONDERFUL! There is a waterfall that leads to a curving stream to another small drop/waterfall and into the pond. It wraps around our patio. I will have to post pictures once I get the weeds out from in between the pavers on the patio.
We have 5 gold fish. We had 2 but they had babies. The fish are back outside and in the pond now. I think it's still too chilly for Oscar in the morning. I am hoping later this week I can leave him out just during the day. I have to wait to leave him out all day and night.
I want to get tadpoles again. I only have been successful with one of them. I lost a couple to the filter. And a couple disappeared so they could have become frogs.
Oh and the neighbors enjoy the sound of it as well.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Sasami- I have no plans of getting koi. I know they are beautiful, but I know they also need tons of room. Don't worry.

Kathy, do you have a picture of your pond?
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 AM

My husband and I built a pond for my mother in law. If you plan to winter the fish, make it at least 3 foot deep. Put it in a shadey place so you won't have an algae. You need to worry about racoons eating the fish a night. They are really good for that. We put a light out by the pond thinking they would leave it alone with light around it but it seemed to just give the light so they could see what they were eating. Lilly Pad's are a great plant for the pond. The fish can hide under them if they need to. We put a fountain in it so the water keeps moving. Later we added what we called "Splash Mountain". We built up one part of it, put the filter on top and had water running down into the pond out of the filter. Looked really nice and she would sit for hours by it. When she passed away we sold the house and took the fountain and filter with us to put one in our yard one day. Those are the tips that are comming to mind right now and if I come up with any more I will post them.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips.

The pond will be in my fenced yard, so I don't really have to worry too much about racoons. They don't normal come in the fence.

I will be making it at least 3 feet deep.

Tags
algae eater, gold fish, kitty litter