Painfully Shy Balloon Mollies, and a Parasite Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Painfully Shy Balloon Mollies, and a Parasite Question

I dont feel like making this into 2 threads, so Ill put both questions in here LOL

First off... A week ago, I bought a pair of balloon mollies- A bright orange male, and a white female, and both are really healthy. The white one came out of the corner and started swimming around after a few days, but after a week, the orange one still refused to come out of the pot-thingy decoration. If I poked the decor, it would come out, swim around frantically, and hit its little head on everything, and proceed back into the decoration after about 5 seconds. On Friday, I bought another marble female to hopefully make the orange one feel more comfortable and come out... Umm, that was a fail. They would just all huddle in the corner being terrified together. The marble one is doing OK now, and is moving around and stuff, but that orage molly STILL wont come out! Other than just giving it time, is there anything else I can do to make him feel more comfortable? Ive never had a healthy fish hid this long...
BTW, my water is quality fine, and has a good amount of salt in it (2.5), so I know thats not the problem.

And now on to question number 2...
I keep getting this wierd parasite my tank. I forgot the name of it, but its an internal parasite when your fish eat, but get really skinny anyway, and eventually die. Ive had it happen to a few platies and guppies, and my sunset-wag platy has it right now, and I dont know how to get rid of it. What meds can you use to treat this?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm, I've never heard of mollies being that shy! Do you have a lot of hiding places? How are your water parameters? Is there maybe a fish that's bullying them?

It's tricky to diagnose a fish with internal parasites unless you're a veterinarian. Maybe try a salt bath and a general parasite medication. Make sure to keep up on water changes, especially gravel vacuuming. A lot of parasitic infections like that are caused by poor water quality which can happen quickly if you miss a water change or two.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yes, and I just added more plants today! You cant even see the background anymore, LOL
Heres my perimiters~ pH is about 7.4 (my strips dont say exactly, but its between 7.2-7.6), zero nitrate/nitrite, and my alkilinity is on the high side, but it hasnt caused a problem. The test strips I have at home dont do amonia, but I havent has a problem with that in years.
All my other fish are nice to them- Ive had plenty of mollies before. The only think I saw once of twice was that my male guppy and platy tried to mate with the white molly once, but theyre never bothered the other ones.
I just did a monthly water change last week, and I always use a gravel vaccuum.
Ill put some Coppersafe in there tonight, and theyre are on some medicated food... hopefully that will help. Thanks!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

another really good parasite treatment that I have used that is safe with everything including snails and plants is something called prazi-pro. It works really quickly and effectively, but the only place I found it was a LFS.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

what other fish aere you keeping at the moment with your mollies, seen as they are suck quite slowmoving fish, boistress fish suck as barbs or bala sharks could be just freaking them out, nice quite fish do best with all the live bearers in my experience and opinion..gouramies, glass fish and all sorts of tetra can make up a stunning LB tank. keep up with the plants, can never hav too much. you say u cant get back ground, then make some, black plactic bags on the outside back look just as well as expensive background, or make some ur self, i got my nephew to draw me a lovely under the sea picture of the back of one of my smaller tanks, he loves coming over to see all the fish swinging round his picture....

2 dogs- Amie(16) and jack(10)(Terrier x's)
Degus
2 Fish tanks - Fancy Goldfish , Aequidens rivulatus (Green Terror called Hulk),Cichlasoma octofasciatum (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey called Bambi).
2 Bearded Dragons - Yoshi and Ella.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I have a background, and the mollies are with other community fish.
The orange molly acually died, so I think he was sick with something I couldnt see.

Tags
balloon molly, fish, parasite