PH sucks still - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Angry PH sucks still

So I got a tank, and set it up on sunday. And the PH is still not 7.0?

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What do you have in the tank (including decorations)? Also, test the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Believe it or not those can affect pH.

I would also test the pH of your tap water. Because maybe it's just naturally off.

What is the pH, anyways? If it isn't crazy low or high then it might be fine. What fish do you want?

Sorry for all the questions .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Lol its ok, I want guppies . The PH is at 6.3 or 6.4 and how do i test for amoniaa? (spelling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh and i have that plant, the one u said likes to float, a tresure chest, a rock, and gravel, and getting some more aquatic plants today
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You could try doing a water change and taking out the decorations. You never know, one of them could be lowering the pH.

Also, definately test your tap water. Like I said, it might be naturally low. I'm lucky...ours is 7.0 already .

You need an ammonia test to test for ammonia. It's a test you should have anyways...it's more important then pH, especially in a new tank. Even small amounts of ammonia can kill fish.

And having high nitrates will cause the pH to go down so that's an important one to have.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Nitrates?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalex0145
Nitrates?
In a cycled, stable aquarium there shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrites but some nitrates.

See, there is beneficial bacteria that builds up in the gravel and filter media. Ammonia is made when fish go to the bathroom, plants die, food rots, etc. In the wild the ammonia is carried off but in a closed system like a tank it stays. The problem is, it builds up and kills fish. Luckily, though, there are good bacteria that "eat" the ammonia and turn it into nitrites. Nitrites, unfortunately, are also highly toxic. But there are good bacteria that eat those, too, and turn them into nitrates. Some nitrates are removed by certain filters and plants absorb them as well. The majority of nitrates are removed during water changes. Nitrates are still a little toxic but don't affect fish very much unless they are extremely high. You should aim to keep them below 40ppm...below 30ppm is recommended. If nitrates get very high the pH starts to drop which is why I said to test for them .

As you can see, testing pH is only one of the tests you need to do. I actually rarely test the pH in my freshwater tanks..I don't find it as important as long as it is stable.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

OMG! I just tested the tap water PH, and its 7.6!!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalex0145
OMG! I just tested the tap water PH, and its 7.6!!
Oh, wow. Then something is definately very wrong.

Either a decoration is leeching something into the water or you have crazy high ammonia or nitrates.

Are you using any chemicals in your tank besides water conditioner? Some products cause pH changes. You could try a different brand of water conditioner, too, because maybe yours is bad and isn't working the way it should.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

i'M PROBAlY GOiNG TO CHANGE THE WATER COMPLEATlY AGAiN . lol

blah!!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That could help but like I said, you really need to get it tested for all the other things I said. Most petstores will do it for free.

I would just try taking the decorations out, first. What kind of rock do you have?

~Stephanie

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

A store bought rock.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, but is it plastic or natural? Some rocks can cause pH changes. Usually they make it higher but who knows.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Its not plastic, so i guess its normal?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

do you think it's granite? limestone? watch out for those. maybe just remove the rock and see what happens, what can it hurt?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
fish food, tap water