Pictures of your tanks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Pictures of your tanks

Well, there is a thread on tanks people have but what about pictures. I will try to get some of mine up later, I have to find my camera.

But if you post a picture put the following info about it...
1. what size
2. what kind of setup (SW, BW, FW)
3. what fish
4. what kind of filtration
5. what is cost
6. anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM

Ok... here is a kinda old picture... but it hasn't changed much...

1. what size --> 30 US gallons
2. what kind of setup (SW, BW, FW) --> Freshwater
3. what fish --> 1 synodontis, 1 pimodella catfish, 3 corydora catfish, 3 kuhli loaches, 1 betta, 1 black widow tetra and 1 dwarf gourami.
4. what kind of filtration --> Aquaclear power filter for 30g, plus a small 10g internal filter...
5. what is cost --> Ummmm.... I've spent around... 150-175 in the tank... maybe... I bought the stuff little by little... so I'm not really sure about it...
6. anything else --> it's a planted tank, it includes a piece driftwood with a java fern attached to it (and one in the process of attaching), an amazon sword, a couple cryptocorines, a couple vallisneria (twisted and italian), some elodea, and a couple of chinese bamboo...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

1. what size- 10-gallon
2. what kind of setup- Freshwater
3. what fish- one male betta (red and gold veiltail), six neon tetras (one is albino), three cory cats (a silver "elegance" cory, an albino cory, and a new one with spots and a "mohawk")
4. what kind of filtration- Whisper 10 Power Filter. I want to upgrade soon...probably to a Penguin Bio-Wheel filter.
5. what is cost- I got the actual tank for Christmas so I'm not sure. But buying the heater, testing kit, plants, fish, gravel, food, dechlorinator, decorations and other supplies costed over $150.
6. anything else- The main plants are Amazon Swords. I had more plants but they died...the anacharis died from the heat and the water sprite died when I left for vacation. I plan to get more anacharis and maybe some cambomba.

1. what size- 5-gallon
2. what kind of setup- Freshwater (slightly brackish because of the livebearers)
3. what fish- one male betta (pink and red mutt veiltail), two platies, two fancy guppies, several Malaysian trumpet snails, and four ghost shrimp
4. what kind of filtration- Marineland Eclipse filter with Bio-Wheel
5. what is cost- When I first set it up it costed around $50, not including the heater (I don't need one yet...it's hot). Of course, I keep buying plants and fish which costs more.
6. anything else- The tank is a work in progress...I plan to get more cambomba and some other plants. Sorry for the blurry photos...it's a hard aquarium to photograph. Those are pics I took today.

Valentino posing with the platies:

My mother thought this one looked cool because of the amount of green:

1. what size- 2.5-gallon
3. what fish- one male betta (purple, blue, and red crowntail)
4. what kind of filtration- None, bettas don't like it. Sometimes I use an airstone.
5. what is cost- I bought everything at different times but I'd imagine it was about $30 for the tank and decor.
6. anything else- The tank looks awful right now...it's very mismatched. I'm in the process of deciding what to do with it, hehe. I hate how it looks and originally wasn't even going to post a picture.

1. what size- 2.25-gallon
3. what fish- one male betta (blue/green veiltail)
4. what kind of filtration- None, bettas don't like it. It'd be pointless in such a small, uncycled tank.
5. what is cost- I bought everything at different times but I'd imagine it was about $30 for the tank and decor.
6. anything else- Kiyoshi, the betta, is very old so he doesn't look his best any more. I still love my puppy-fish, though! I'm about to upgrade him into something larger. Maybe a 5-gallon. And I'm sorry about the bad photo...his tank is shaped weirdly and hard to photograph.

1. what size- 2-gallon
3. what fish- one african dwarf frog (soon to be two)
4. what kind of filtration- None, it's bad for frogs to be exposed to it constantly especially in a smaller tank.
5. what is cost- Maybe like $20-$25? I'm not done yet and I don't even have a heater at the moment.
6. anything else- The tank was just set-up (although it housed other creatures in the past) so it's pretty plain. You can see my frog in the picture I took. I had two frogs but one died right after I got him. He was not very healthy to begin with. I'll be buying another one at some point.

Oh, and ignore the clutter around my fishtanks .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Those are nice tanks. My camera screen is broken, so I took it to get it fixed. I dropped it while we were in boston. The funny thing is that when I dropped it, I was taking a pictures in the boston Aquarium. But I will tell you what I have ans stuff and then get pics when I can.

--150 Gallon Pond- Fresh Water with 7 sarcassa comets
Pool filter with fountian
The whole set-up with fish was like $500
I have water lilis, jave moss, jave fern, and some other plants

--5 gallon- Fresh water with a Black Lace Male Betta
Marineland Eclipse filter with Bio-Wheel
The tank was $40 the fish was $20, and the decor was $20, so $80
I have 2 banana plants, westira, and some water sprite, I want to get some jave fern to put on the drift wood, also I have sand as the substrate with aquatic soil under it

--5 gallon same as above except with white crystal crowntail male

--5 gallon same as above except with blue splash male

--5 gallon same as above with a red apache male

--10 gallon with 4 female bettas (same as males) and maylasian trumpet snails
Whisper 20 gallon filter
The tank was $50, the fish were $60, the snails were $10 and the decor was about $50, so $170
I have water sprite, Swords, jave moss and fern, banana plants, and anacharis
The substrate is Black sand with aquatic soil under

--10 gallon fresh water with 4 dwarf puffers
whisper 15 gallon filter
The tank was $50, the fish were $20, and the decor was $50, so $120
I have the same plants as my 10 gallon betta tank, but more. I also have hairgrass.
The substrate is same as 10 gallon betta tank

--30 gallon fresh water with 8 platies and 10 neons
Aquaclear power filter for 50g and a under gravel filter
Everything was about $130
The same plants, but a lot more, also have hairgrass.
I have gravel, than aquatic soil, and than black sand

--40 gallon fresh water with 4 of each-guppies, swords, platies, and mollies. Also some Angels fish for fry control
70 gallon bio-wheel filter and a UG filter with power heads
cost about $200
same plants as 30, getting more soon
Same substrate set up

--120 gallon with 1 fantail, 1 oranda, 1 pleaco, 1 black moor, 1 bubble eye, 1 lion head, and 1 telescope eye (all goldfish are about the size of grapefruits and are going to need an upgrade soon!)
150 gallon Bio-wheel filter and 4 Ug gravel filters with power heads
Cost about $400
to many plants, I forgot all the names
Gravel and large rock set-up, looks like a river bed.

--9- 10 gallon fresh water fry tanks (livebearer and bettas)
all tanks have water sprite, westeria, jave moss and fern
all have 2 corner filters in each tank
all in all they cost me about $200 for all tanks

I am also in the process of getting a 500 gallon in wall marine tank! I cant wait for that!!
It is going to have live coral, urchans, starfish, annomes, clown fish, shirmp, crabs, damsels, and angel fish, I am also getting a salt water betta!!!
This is going to cost me about 2 grand!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:15 PM

1. What size? 2 1/2 gallons
2. What setup? FW
3. What fish? male betta Mars
4. What kind of filteration? none
5. What is the cost? 15 bucks encluding betta

1. What size? 3 gallons
2. What kind of set up? FW
3. what fish? Male betta Prince
4. What kind of filteration? sponge filter
5. Cost? 25 bucks

1. What size? 5.5 gallons
2. What set up? FW
3. What fish? Male betta Rambo, and golden snail
4. What kind of filteration? sponge filter
5. cost? not sure

1. What size? 1 gallon
2. What set up? FW
3. What fish? Male betta Red
4. what kind of filteration? none
5. cost? Just the price of fish

you cant tell, but its a 1 gallon pickel jar. I plan on finding something else that i can see him better in soon. (planning on using tubbeware!)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My Cichlid tank

Thought i woud share a couple of pics of my Cichlid tank...i have electric blues, electric yellows, hap moori, blood parrot, golden sevrum, red peacock. Some were still small, were babies, I was breeding them for a little while (blues and yellows).
Its a 60 gallon aquarium. OH and there are 2 clown loaches that arent cichlids..hehe.

This first one is a close up of one of the electric blues. The glass needed a cleaning, yeah i know. The plecostomus recently has passed away so it wasnt as clean as it usually was. I cleaned the glass shortly afterward

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gold severum and blood parrot didnt want to get their pics taken, you can see them on the far left swimming away with their tails swishing away..hehe...i will take one of them soon and post it too.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Your clowns are huge!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes they are very old now...well in fish years i suppose. I have had one for 6 years and the other for 5 years.

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM

nice clowns
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Leo

I used to have a salt water tank, but just disassembled it 2 weeks ago because we are going to be doing a long distance move in the spring and they would not survive the trip (we found good homes for everything that was living)...
Anyway it was:
1. what size. 30 gallon (yes we were ambitious doing marine in such a small tank, harder than a larger tank)
2. what kind of setup (SW, BW, FW) Saltwater
3. what fish- Damsel to start out with then a Valentini puffer also had shrimp emerald crabs, several hermit crabs (different species), several snails and a Knobby star fish
4. what kind of filtration ...Fluval (because it was small)
5. what is cost- without the tank it was about $1,000 for salt, substrate, live rock, chemicals, filter and accessories
6. anything else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
I am also in the process of getting a 500 gallon in wall marine tank! I cant wait for that!!
It is going to have live coral, urchans, starfish, annomes, clown fish, shirmp, crabs, damsels, and angel fish, I am also getting a salt water betta!!! This is going to cost me about 2 grand!!
$2,000 seems VERY, VERY low for all of that (For the setup that you have listed I would guesstimate more like $5-10,000 depending on size of the fish) ... proper lighting alone for a 500 gallon tank could run well over $2000 ... also you can not keep most star fish in a tank that has coral because they will eat it as well as other stuff.. Damsels, Angels and Clowns will not do good in a tank together... Most Angels and Damsels are aggressive fish and they would probably kill the Clown fish ... there is also a good possibility that a Damsel could kill your Angel fish they are like little Piranhas and will go after anything new you add to your tank.

For a 500 gallon salt water tank I would recommend doing at least a year of research on reefs and different tank setups before getting into it or it will easily run you thousands of dollars if you screw something up with a tank that large (almost every beginner marine tank owner has issues with their first tank it never goes smoothly) A great site to get you started would be www.reefcentral.com. the people on that site really know their stuff (a good site for fish information is www.saltwaterfish.com).

Above all else let it cycle for several months before adding anything, this could save you from a lot of major problems, it will be tempting to add stuff sooner, but adding too soon could crash your tank (crashed tank = major $$ to fix the problem).

Find a really good local fish store where all the employees have marine tanks and know their stuff... if you find one you should be pretty set for any major issues you may have.

I am currently researching for our tank that we are getting once we move (we are going much bigger)... I will have put in over 5 years of research on this tank so it goes smoothly.

Last edited by Leo; 08-25-2006 at 05:58 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:58 PM

geez a couple thousands is cheap for a salt water tank that big!
i soo agree with what leo said
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

This is not my first Marine tank, I have not had one for about 2 years (we too had a big move) I have always had at least 2 before then. I know everything that I could possible know.

I am not buying the set-up new. I am buying is for $1500 from a local petshop that is going out of bussiness. The rest of the money is how mush it is going to cost to get it in the wall. This set-up is about 3 years old, and thats how long the fish have lived in there, together. The starfish are chocolate chip stars and the mainly stay on the glass. Everyone gets along fine, but if need be, I will be more than happy to get another SW tank.

I do not think 5 years of reserch is nessacary. The internet info doesnt change that much, there isnt new info everyday, so you must have been reading the same thing over and over again!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Nemo is in a 1.5gal and so is Ruby.no filter.cost $20 each
Warrior is in a 1gal.no filter.cost $10.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM

our computer is screwed up so can't post pics but we have:

30 gal. fresh community 3 tiger barbs, 3 skirt tetras, 4 cory cats, a bala shark and a black shark for cleaning, whisper filter, we lucked out and bought the whole set-up for $50 from a friend who was upgrading, not sure how much spent on fish $25?

40 gal. saltwater reef set-up w/ yellow tang, assorted damsels, pajama cardinal, pair of clowns and a saddleback clown, assorted snails and crabs, a red knobby starfish and a choc chip starfish, lots of live rock, we have a red sea protein skimmer for filtration along with two powerheads for current. i'm sure we have more invested than i want to think about in this one but it is sooooo enjoyable it's worth it, like my own piece of the ocean.

55 gal freshwater this is our "large fish" tank we have 2 angels, 2 silver dollars, a bala shark, a pleco, and a black shark. same friend gave us the tank and stand for free and we bought the light. different friend gave us an aquatex 320 canister filter that we have on it. playground sand for substrate.

1 gal. houses one betta-- no filtration i think we got the tank on clearence for $7 and it came with light and filter.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 AM

alright... here i go

1. what size: 55 gallon
2. what kind of setup : Fresh water
3. what fish: 2 sarasa comets, 1 gold fan-tail and 1 Shubumkin
4. what kind of filtration: 2 aquaclear 200's
5. what is cost: I have no idea my BF bought the tank and such
6. anything else

1. what size: 20 gallon octogon
3. what fish: 1 bubble-eye goldfish(1 died were looking to find him a friend)
4. what kind of filtration: UG
6. other: we have the 20 gal in a way that the bubble-eye can see the other goldfish so he doesent feel so seperated yet they cant peck at his bubbles

Sorry for the quality of that pic, its the only full tank shot i got!

1. what size: 15 gallon
3. what fish: 3 adult platies(1 black headed tangerin, 1 sunburst and 1 grey mickey mouse), 1 red beta and 3 baby platies
4. what kind of filtration: UG, bubble wall and aqua clear mini(Talk about alot of filtration! lol)
6. other: The beta and the platies co-habitate very well. The beta likes to spend his time in the back fighting with his reflection! He also chases the baby platies from time to time but is never fast enough to get them. livebearing fry are always very fast.

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, cory cats, female betta, female bettas, ghost shrimp, hermit crab, hermit crabs, local fish store, male betta, neon tetras, tiger barbs