Platy grouping questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Question Platy grouping questions...

So I got a group of 5 Platies. Each have a different color (1 white mickey mouse, 1 normal mickey mouse, 1 sunburst, 1 neon, and 1 bumblebee).
My question is, they all keep swimming up and down the corners of the tank facing the glass, all in their own places.
I heard someone tell me once that their cory did that when it lived alone because it saw it's reflection and was trying to school with it.
I was wondering if Platies perfer to group with their own colors?
Should I have gotten all one color?
Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Resident Zoologist

They do not need to be all one colour, although many people have argued that they prefer to school with like colours (the jury is still out on this one, but there appears to be some validity to the theory). Your platies' behaviour is because they are still adjusting to their new environment...give them a week or so to settle in.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Thank you!
Well even if they like the same colors I still am not getting rid of any of them.
They seem a little more relaxed right now, they are all swimming around the tank trying to find hidden food. lol

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Resident Zoologist

Also bear in mind that most livebearers are 'loose schoolers', and will not forms tight groups like most tetras, etc.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

Tags
platy