Please Help Greg!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Please Help Greg!!

Help! Last week, my koi Greg got stuck in a decorative hiding place. As I tried to free him, his gill was caught and it was ripped at the top. I believe it was bleeding, not excessively, but it looks like there was a lot of blood in the gills, they turned very red. I thought he was a goner for sure.

The next morning he was still alive, a bit more movement but not much. I went and got a product that said to help many fish ailments, including open wounds. It sounded good at the time. After about 5 days of these treatments, Greg looks no better. He isn't acting himself, he frantically swims from end to end of our 55 gallon tank a few times, then just stops swimming for minutes. He is still eating, but I have noticed the same stress from the two other smaller koi in the same tank.

What can I do? I want him to get better, but I am not sure if I should stop these treatments and see how it goes, or continue them. When I stop for a day, the wound looks paler, with what looks like dead skin forming over the top. When I put in the treatment, the wound looks cleaner, but the gills look more inflamed.

Please help! Greg is only about 10 months old, and I want to see him get to be an old man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
is a little "special"

Well, I would give him some aquarium salt to help prevent an infection, some Stress Coat, and some Melafix. What product are you currently giving him?
Oh, and make sure his water stays clean.

When Sasami sees this, you'll get some better info... Shes better at this than I am!
But good luck with him!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, we have been doing the daily doses of Melaflix, it just looks like it makes the wound more open and aggravated. Maybe its some other chemical in there? I also have some water treatment with Allatonin, I believe thats the stress coat.

I haven't been doing any water changes, but as I read a bit more I think I will do a little tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Melafix would deff be the best thing for poor Greg right now. remove the ornament so this doesnt happen again. always sad to see koi or any fish in trouble....

2 dogs- Amie(16) and jack(10)(Terrier x's)
Degus
2 Fish tanks - Fancy Goldfish , Aequidens rivulatus (Green Terror called Hulk),Cichlasoma octofasciatum (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey called Bambi).
2 Bearded Dragons - Yoshi and Ella.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Melafix can indeed be irritating to fish BUT it really does help wounds heal faster. Adding a small amount of FRESHWATER aquarium salt will be useful to help prevent infections. Is he still in the main tank? I'd highly recommend moving him to a hospital tank away from the other fish. Treating the whole tank when only one fish is injured isn't great for the healthy fish. Plus, he won't have to compete for food or anything.

Keep up on water changes and testing--you need to keep the water really clean. That'll lessen his stress and help keep the wound clean.

What do you normally feed him? Offering some frozen/fresh/live (rather than flakes/pellets) foods might perk him up a bit.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the input. We have been giving him smaller doses, which I think is helping. Moving him to another tank is not really an option, as he is a big fish, and I, a poor college student. How much aquarium salt should I put in? Daily, weekly? I will definitely look into the new foods, maybe it will help the other fishes too. Thanks again for all your help!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Thanks for the input. We have been giving him smaller doses, which I think is helping. Moving him to another tank is not really an option, as he is a big fish, and I, a poor college student. How much aquarium salt should I put in? Daily, weekly? I will definitely look into the new foods, maybe it will help the other fishes too. Thanks again for all your help!
Ah, I see. For the future, you can find really cheap (or even free) tanks on craigslist a lot . That's how I usually get my hospital/quarantine tanks.

The aquarium salt dosage instructions should be on the carton when you buy it. I've never dosed such a large aquarium with it so I don't know how much to use at the top of my head, sorry! (I've treated plenty of fish but always in smaller tanks)

You don't have to keep adding in salt. Remember, salts don't evaporate out like the water--they stay in the tank. So you only have to replenish it when you do a water change (and even then, just add enough to compensate for how much water you removed). Speaking of water changes, how often do you typically do them and are you vacuuming the gravel? Koi are extremely messy fish, as I'm sure you know, so it takes quite a bit of effort to keep a koi tank clean.

By the way, is there a reason why the koi are in an aquarium at the moment? It's summer so this is typically when they'd be in the pond.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I vacuum the gravel about once a month maybe, sometimes longer than that if I'm lazy. They are in a 55 gallon now, and are still pretty small. The 2 other koi are only about 4 inches, Greg is maybe 8 inches. I bought this tank for 50 bucks on craigslist which was pretty sweet, and we've since had problems on what to put the tank on. First it was on a desk and it ended up being too heavy for it, so now, sadly, it is on the ground. I sound like a horrible fishy mommy.

A pond is in the future, possibly next summer, depends on how big they've gotten and how much of a hurry we are in

Greg is doing much better, and the other fishies (Muppet and Nabokov) seem to be happier as well. Thanks for the advice, again!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I vacuum the gravel about once a month maybe, sometimes longer than that if I'm lazy. They are in a 55 gallon now, and are still pretty small. The 2 other koi are only about 4 inches, Greg is maybe 8 inches. I bought this tank for 50 bucks on craigslist which was pretty sweet, and we've since had problems on what to put the tank on. First it was on a desk and it ended up being too heavy for it, so now, sadly, it is on the ground. I sound like a horrible fishy mommy.

A pond is in the future, possibly next summer, depends on how big they've gotten and how much of a hurry we are in

Greg is doing much better, and the other fishies (Muppet and Nabokov) seem to be happier as well. Thanks for the advice, again!
When it comes to large, messy fish like goldfish and koi, I usually recommend vacuuming the gravel at least once a week. It really makes a difference . Actually, what I would do is ditch the gravel completely and go with a bare bottom tank. Bare bottom tanks are so much easier to clean. Plus, koi are known to sometimes eat gravel by mistake which is of course very, very bad. So if you really want to have substrate, use large rocks or sand.

And no problem, good luck with them and maybe post pictures some time!

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Uh oh,
Changed out some water today, and put much more clean water in. Although it was pretty stressful, as it always is, the fishies look very happy now!
But today, it looks like Greg has developed a bubble on the top of his back. Kind of looks like a blister. I hope it is no big deal....

btw, I have a few pictures up of greg's photoshoot when he was just a 2-3 inch baby!!! I bought him for my boyfriend at Christmas, we had been dating a month, and he has been with us ever since. Our love fish!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
But today, it looks like Greg has developed a bubble on the top of his back. Kind of looks like a blister. I hope it is no big deal....
Hopefully it isn't gas bubble disease. What kind of aeration do you have for the tank? If the bubble is small, he should recover on his own if the aeration is good. If it's large, you should definitely increase the aeration in the tank (add more air stones, turn up the filter, add a power head, etc.). Although if you use air stones, make sure they aren't releasing really tiny, fine bubbles.

It could also be an infection but if that's the case, just keeping up on water changes and adding salt should help. If it doesn't, we can try to figure out what's going on and the appropriate medication to use.

I really hope it just goes away, though . Poor guy.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have an up-to 65 gallon filter, it works fine, but I have noticed that Greg likes to hang out under it. Or he did, before we changed his water yesterday. He is a happy fish! The bubble looks a more orange color today, no signs of any other ones on him though. His gill isn't looking a whole lot better, but I think that might just have to be something he (and I) will hae to live with. But he looks a lot happier, and thats a great sign! We will be putting the salt in today, hopefully that will make them happier and not sicker.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

How do I know if it is gas bubble disease? It has gotten bigger, and darker. No more bubbles have shown up though...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
How do I know if it is gas bubble disease? It has gotten bigger, and darker. No more bubbles have shown up though...
It's really hard for me to diagnose things over the internet, especially without seeing a picture. But it sounds like it could be something else, some sort of infection, perhaps? Have you added the salt yet? How is he acting otherwise?

~Stephanie