Plecosta-something (algae suckers lol) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

Plecosta-something (algae suckers lol)

I am not sure exactly what they are called but I was forced to adopt this fish from my brother-his did not want his fish(it was either that or he said he'd take it to the pet store..I said ok I'll take him) anyway..I have some other fish but I just want to make sure this algae eater survives...can I feed it the sinking pellets...they are have shrimp in them and they say they are for any fish including the plecostamus..(if I spelled it right) which is I think what I have or do they need some kind of algae wafer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 PM

If you don't have algae in the tank then I'd get algae wafers. BUT they cause a bloom of algae in the tank (little did we know this >_<) so you want to give them based on the pleco's size. How big is it? I'd say half an algae wafer for every 3 inches...every other day maybe. But i'm no expert, just watch the amount of algae in the tank and feed it less if you see alot growing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Algae wafers would be good though it could eat your sinking pellets too.

Plecos also need vegetables like cucumbers and zuchinni as part of their diet . They actually shouldn't live on a diet of just algae and/or fish flakes.

How big is your tank? Unless it's a clown or bristlenose the pleco is going to need at least a 55-gallon and excellent filteration. If you can't provide that you may want to start looking for another home for him once he grows up.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 PM

I know alot of fish stores will take plecos in when you can't fit them in the tank, but i'm not sure if it applies to ONLY the ones bought from them or what. We were VERY hesitant about getting plecos because we knew they would get huge but after not finding an algae eater efficient enough the fish store by us said they would take it back and give us a smaller one when it got too big.

I read somewhere that they can have watermelon and squash? Also I read that sometimes you will find them upside down skimming the surface of the water - I'd LOVE to see that!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea they get to be 20 plus inches.. we got a 1" one and it grew to me 8" when we gave it to someone with a 70 gal

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ooo they make lots of money on the big ones, i always wondered how they could keep them for years, they sell them for like $20

I saw a placostomus at walmart the other day, its an asian one or chineese? i forget.. but its super cute and only gets 3" i fell for it hehe, it looked like a baby stingray would in my mind hehe

[/CENTER]

Tags
algae eater, pet store