Poor Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Poor Betta

Here is the story. I recently transferred to the job I am at right now. On my desk is a poor betta in a bowl. I have been at this job for 2 months now. I asked about getting the betta as least a 5-gallon tank, but was told no. I was able to get him a bigger bowl, but that’s still not very good. So anyway, I’m leaving this job and transferring somewhere else. I begged and begged, I get to take the betta with me! Hooray, poor guy. He is supposedly about 3 years old, he looks pitiful though. The bowl he was in before was so small; he could hardly stretch his fins all the way. I am going to be setting up my 10 gallon tonight for him. I am going to take him home this week so he can get fed over the holiday. If I weren’t here, he would go with out food for 4 days because of the holiday. I don't know why they even have this poor guy.

Anyway, I know that when you start a new tank you should wait 3-6 weeks before adding any fish. I really don't want to keep him in this bowl any longer. How long should I wait to put him in the 10 gallon? Do I really need to wait the 3 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Do you have another tank set up?

If you do, take some of the tank's water and put it into the 10 gallon. You don't have to fill it completely up, just under half.

If you can't do that, keep him in the bowl, and go get you some Stability.

You can find it here.

This will help you get the cycle started quicker... you can add fish after the first 32-48 hours.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

No I don't have my other tank anymore. I will get some of that stuff this evening. Is there somewhere to get it besides online? Thanks!

duh, nevermind, They have it at Petstupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you can get your hands on some Bio-Spira that will cycle the tank instantly. It's refrigerated and is the only known product that will actually completely cycle an aquarium overnight. I've used it before...it's great .

Honestly, I wouldn't want to keep him in the bowl any longer so if it was me I would order Bio-Spira online and have it shipped overnight.

Oh, and you can buy it here: http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

There are other products that help the cycle along but all of them take at least a week to fully cycle the aquarium. It's still a lot shorter then cycling manually, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I definitely want to get him out of this bowl. He is so pitiful. Im just happy that they are going to let me take him home finally. Ive tried since the day I came here!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yay!! Betta is getting a newer and better home!!
Does this betta have a name??

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Blueberry. Original huh? I didn't name him though, the girl before me did.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aww i think its cute!

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

So I get home and start getting everything set up. Well, I had the aquarium and accesories stored in the shed. Guess what, a mouse chewed up the wire to my light! And I also can't find a piece I need for the filter. How annoying. So im going to go on my lunchbreak I guess and get the stuff that I need. I really didn't want to have to spend the extra money for this dumb fish, lol. Im kidding, he isn't dumb. Just I am trying to save money for the holidays. Oh well.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
So I get home and start getting everything set up. Well, I had the aquarium and accesories stored in the shed. Guess what, a mouse chewed up the wire to my light! And I also can't find a piece I need for the filter. How annoying. So im going to go on my lunchbreak I guess and get the stuff that I need. I really didn't want to have to spend the extra money for this dumb fish, lol. Im kidding, he isn't dumb. Just I am trying to save money for the holidays. Oh well.
I totally know what you mean . I'm trying to save money for the holidays too but in the past few weeks I've had to spend over sixty dollars on fish stuff. I needed dechlorinator and then I had some lightbulbs burn out at the same time. And then I had a tank leak . I took it back today and I guess I'll get a new one next week.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I put an add on freecycle to see if anyone had any of the spare parts I need lying around. But no luck so far.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
I put an add on freecycle to see if anyone had any of the spare parts I need lying around. But no luck so far.
You could check craiglist too...someone could be selling some for cheap.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Good Save!

Hello everyone!

Oh my! I read your post Ambieruns10! I don't understand how people can not be concerned with an animals (or fish's) well being. Thank goodness for people like you! (and the rest of us here too! LOL)

Have you thought about putting Blueberry beta in a great big decorative vase? My daughter has a gorgeous beta who lives in a great big decorative vase on her dining room table. It is such a pretty decorative accent!

She doesn't have any filters or air pumps and her beta does fine. I was thinking about getting a really tall glass vase for a beta and putting an air stone connected to a pump in the bottom of the vase for the bubble effect.

You can get some really big decorative vases at discount department stores or even thrift stores sometimes. Maybe this could be a cheaper and easier solution for Blueberry.

Hope everything works out for little Blueberry! Good Luck!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Ruth, but im not a big fan of any fish living in a bowl or vase. I think the minimum size of tank for a betta should be a 5 gallon. I am putting him in a 10 gallon and plan on adding a snail or two and a lot of plants.

Just becasue petstores say that betta can live in a bowl doesn't mean that they really should.

ETA: My dad fixed the cord for the light, so now I just need the propeller for the filter. Ill probably just by a new one.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 AM

Hello again Ambieruns10,
I hope my suggestion of the vase didn't offend you. I just thought it could be a quick fix.

I realized that it might seem like I meant to use a typical type of vase that you normally see a beta in. My daughter and I don't like the small beta containers either.

My daughters beta vase is huge! not really a vase, more like a decorator peice for a home. I wish I had a photo to show everyone. It's so pretty and her beta is soo cute and happy. I don't want anyone to think we are beta abusers, LOL! Even though it's huge for a vase it still isn't 5 gal. I think it's around 3 gal.

I hope that you post some pics of Blueberry in his new home!

Tags
hbh betta bites