Pregnant Fishy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Pregnant Fishy

So a few months ago my sister and I decided to get some fish for this old fish tank I had lying around. Among the fish we got were a red wag platy and a yellowish orange swordtail. The platy had babies, who came out looking like the swordtail. About two months later we found our swordtail dead . To fill his spot in the tank, we bought a black lyretail molly. Only days later, we discovered our platy (who we originally named Frank until she had abies and is now called Frankie) was pregnant again. Mid-January, Frankie had about 20 little swordtail babies again. However, I moved back to school the next day and when I spoke to my sister a week later, she told me there were no babies to be found.

Now, poor little Frankie is pregnant AGAIN. We're thinking this time it is the molly (Whom we named Molly and will now have to be called something different if it turns out she's a he) based on the way they've been acting toward each other. My mom is afraid the babies will get eaten again (assuming thats what happened to them before) so she took Frankie out and put her in a goldfish bowl by herself.

Heres the question:
Is it okay for Frankie to be in this goldfish bowl with no air/ filter? Will the babies be okay in there? Do you think the babies will be okay in the regular tank, because maybe it was Molly who ate them in the first place but maybe he won't if they're his? Is there another (inexpensive/free) solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Platies and mollies usually don't reproduce, it's more likely that the platy has sperm stored from a different mating.

No, the bowl isn't exactly ideal. You'll have to do a lot of large/full water changes to keep ammonia down which is stressful for fish. If you do get an ammonia spike you will lose the babies and possibly mom too.

The mom platy will also have no problem eating her own young...livebearers usually do not care for the fry. They do not recognize them as being their babies and see them as food in a closed system (such as the bowl or tank). The molly will try to eat them as well.

The best thing to do would be to set up a small desktop tank and keep mom in there until she gives birth. The moment she does, move her back to the bigger tank and keep the fry in the small one.

You can get a 1-gallon or 2-gallon glass aquarium for about $8-$10 and then you'd want some sort of lid (an actual aquarium lid for a tank this size is $5) and a simple sponge filter (around $3). If your house is cold you'll need a small heater...they vary in price depending on brand. Another option is buying a plastic Kritter Keeper...these are cheaper. You can get a decent-sized one for $5 and they come with a lid. All you'd have to do is get the sponge filter and maybe a heater. I'm not sure how large your bowl is but if it can fit a sponge filter and heater then you could use it...just be careful because the mom could technically jump out.

Another thing you could do is get a small breeding container. They are plastic tanks that go inside the main aquarium...designed to separate injured/aggressive/pregnant fish.

Obviously this won't be free (unless someone is giving away a free tank nearby) but they're really your only options if you don't want the fry to be eaten.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I just ordered a 3-way breeder for only 3.99 at aquariumguys.com. Of course the shipping was like 8.99, but still pretty cheap. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpig View Post
Thanks! I just ordered a 3-way breeder for only 3.99 at aquariumguys.com. Of course the shipping was like 8.99, but still pretty cheap. Thank you!
No problem, keep us updated! Make sure to pick up some food for the babies soon...they sell pellets and you can also get frozen/live foods such as brine shrimp.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bigger tank, brine shrimp, fish tank