Ramshorn snails? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ramshorn snails?

I'm thinking of getting a few snails for my fishtank. I'm looking into MTS's and Ramshorn snails. My question with the ramshorn ones is, is there a difference between the different types besides the colors? I've seen red ones, brown ones, blue ones, pink ones, leopard spotted ones...Are they all the same animal with different colorings, or are they different species? Is one kind better to get than another?

Also, I've heard all kinds of wonderful things about MTS's, but how are Ramshorn snails for keeping the algae down? Are they even worth having in my tank? I don't have any live plants in the tank, but I'm hoping they'd be able to keep the algae down on the artificial ones since it's hard to get them clean, I always miss spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You actually want ramshorn snails? Most people are trying to get rid of them . You probably won't be able to buy them but they tend to hitchhike on plants...same goes for the MTS. They help with algae but not as much as MTS...I would get those. MTS also help stir the gravel and will eat dead plant matter (but never live plants).

You can also look into apple snails...those are the larger ones that come in a bunch of different colors. They eat algae too but should also have their diet supplemented with fresh vegetables and sinking wafers.

By the way, although most people are trying to get rid of the species you mentioned, that doesn't mean they're bad for a tank. It's just that they can have population explosions and some people don't like having them all over the glass. I personally enjoy having those species in my own aquariums .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Playful Pup

are ramshorn snails little and are brown with designs on the shell?

my family:
25 guppies
4 tetra
2 goldfish
1 froggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haha, yeah, I've heard of a lot of people wanting to get RID of ramshorns rather than get any XD I've seen pictures of some really pretty ones though (hence why I was wondering if they're all the same snail) and I think they'd be kind of cool to have in my tank. (Though if I could only have one type, I would rather have MTS.)

MTS will only eat the algae that grows on the gravel, right? I have the hardest time cleaning the algae off of my artificial plants, and I have a little pagoda tank decoration that I always manage to break pieces off of when I try to clean it. Those are the things in particular I was hoping ramshorns would be able to help with.

I will look into apple snails too, thanks Sasami! Though I doubt I'll be able to get anything too soon, since my favorite pet store here in town doesn't have any at the moment.

Zanzibar- I don't know about the designs, but ramshorns do some in brown, and I think they are pretty little. They're the ones with round spiral shells that look more or less like a little garden snail...Sort of...A little
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
Haha, yeah, I've heard of a lot of people wanting to get RID of ramshorns rather than get any XD I've seen pictures of some really pretty ones though (hence why I was wondering if they're all the same snail) and I think they'd be kind of cool to have in my tank. (Though if I could only have one type, I would rather have MTS.)

MTS will only eat the algae that grows on the gravel, right? I have the hardest time cleaning the algae off of my artificial plants, and I have a little pagoda tank decoration that I always manage to break pieces off of when I try to clean it. Those are the things in particular I was hoping ramshorns would be able to help with.

I will look into apple snails too, thanks Sasami! Though I doubt I'll be able to get anything too soon, since my favorite pet store here in town doesn't have any at the moment.

Zanzibar- I don't know about the designs, but ramshorns do some in brown, and I think they are pretty little. They're the ones with round spiral shells that look more or less like a little garden snail...Sort of...A little
Without seeing the pictures, I can't really say for sure whether it's the same species but you do occasionally see color variations.

MTS will eat algae on the glass and rocks too so I'm sure they'll munch on the algae growing on your fake plants. Remember, though, that they won't leave the tank spotless or anything...they'll only help a bit, not eat all of the algae. You also might want to figure out what's causing the algae growth in the first place...you might need to do more water changes or cut down on the amount of time you leave the tank light on. Just some ideas!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I didn't know the MTS would eat the algae on the glass too, that's pretty cool. I'll definitely have to find some of those now.

A question about the apple snails- I did a little bit of looking around online and they look pretty neat. (The blue ones look awesome!) I read that SOME apple snails are called mystery snails...Does that mean ALL are? Is it just another name for the same species? Or are some types of apple snail incorrectly grouped with the mystery snails? I know the guy at the pet store said he has mystery snails, so those would be the apple snails?

The tank itself isn't too bad, it's usually pretty clean, but the decorations and the gravel could use some work, lol.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Playful Pup

Oh.. nevermind. I thought a ramshorn snail and a Hold snail was the same thing.. And i think Apple snails and mystery snails are the same thing..

my family:
25 guppies
4 tetra
2 goldfish
1 froggy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
I didn't know the MTS would eat the algae on the glass too, that's pretty cool. I'll definitely have to find some of those now.

A question about the apple snails- I did a little bit of looking around online and they look pretty neat. (The blue ones look awesome!) I read that SOME apple snails are called mystery snails...Does that mean ALL are? Is it just another name for the same species? Or are some types of apple snail incorrectly grouped with the mystery snails? I know the guy at the pet store said he has mystery snails, so those would be the apple snails?

The tank itself isn't too bad, it's usually pretty clean, but the decorations and the gravel could use some work, lol.
Mystery snails are normally some sort of apple snail but it's hard to say exactly which species it is (there are a couple found in the pet trade). This website should give you a lot of helpful information: http://www.applesnail.net

One of the apple snail species sometimes available will eat plants. If your plants are fake then you should be safe either way.

If you're getting algae growth, though, there's probably some sort of imbalance somewhere. That's why I recommended doing more water changes and/or leaving the light on for shorter periods of time . When you go to the pet store, maybe get your water tested to see if nitrates are building up (high nitrates usually equals algae spikes).

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks Sasami! =3 And thanks for the heads-up on my tank. I'm probably not changing my water enough, I'll check up on that.

Tags
ramshorn snails