? regarding hard water - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

? regarding hard water

We have really hard water where we live. Our goldfish are doing great at least the ones we have. Whenever we try to bring another fish home be it a goldfish or other type compatable they end up down the toilet in a couple of days. Any ideas we have done all the tests we can find and everything comes back normal or as normal as we can get it with the hard water?

Munch, Squeek, Cuddles, & Jumper - Degus
Zander & Casey - Dogs
Footsie & TJ - Cats
Nemo & Rainbow - Goldfish
Goo & Boo - Toads
Toto - Hermit Crabs

RIP Hermit & Herman (Hermit Crabs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What are the test results? Tank size? Fish size? These may give us a clue as to whats happening

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

It is currently a 20 gal tank with 2 goldfish in it about 3-4 inches long each. The pH has come back normal. I dont remember the exact names of the other tests. I use a combination of the tap water & bottled water from the pet store as I currently cannot even cook my pasta in it due the pregnacy & the water being so hard. What makes it hard we are actually waiting for some results from the State lab on that to see if we need a special filter system put in. I will let you know when we get those results back, but it could be up to a month yet.

Munch, Squeek, Cuddles, & Jumper - Degus
Zander & Casey - Dogs
Footsie & TJ - Cats
Nemo & Rainbow - Goldfish
Goo & Boo - Toads
Toto - Hermit Crabs

RIP Hermit & Herman (Hermit Crabs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 PM
is a little "special"

Well, if you are putting more fish in with the gold fish, theyre probably dying cuz the tank is too small. I know my 20 gallon was too small for even one gold fish to live in, and 2 might be pushing it a little.
I have hard watr too, and theres stuff you can buy to make it normal. Or you just have to be more careful with the fish you buy- zebra danios, goldfish, tetras, mollys, and platys all do fine in harder water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."