Removing dead fish smell - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Removing dead fish smell

I decided it was time to clean my tank and I also noticed that I hadn't seen my black molly all day which is odd. So I was somewhat prepared to find him dead somewhere in the tank. As I was taking the fish and ornaments out I realized that the water stank really bad, like gagging bad! So I knew for sure he was dead in there. Well, I found him in one of the big shells I had put in there for decoration. This happened to another fish awhile ago, so this time when I put the big shells back in I made sure they were filled with sand so the fish couldn't go in them. Well somehow the sand got out and the fish got in.

Anyway, now my tank reaks so horrid and I can't get rid of the smell. I did a 60% water change and changed the carbon filter, but it still stinks. Is there anything else I can do or should I just wait it out and eventually the smell will go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
is a little "special"

Eww, I hate it when that happens!
When I first set up Squishys first 10 gallon, it wreaked of hamster pee, because I think thats what was kept in it before... My whole room smelled terrible! Anyway, carbon really helps get the smell out. If you can, buy a carton of it, poor some it a net-bag thing so the water can filter through it, and plop it in your filter. Hope it helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
dead fish, stinky