Rummy nose disaster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Rummy nose disaster

This is the worst night in the history of me keeping fish . I had decided that i didnt want to have a community tank in my 33 gal anymore and that i was going to give away all of the fish except my rummy nose tetras (they are my favorite freshwater fish). So i put my 10 gallon tank filter on my 33gal for the last month and a half just as a precautionary measure and let the water in the 10 gal cycle as well. Then tonight i did the big move and put my rummy's in the tank that had the filter with the same bacteria as they tank they were in (because i had it running in the 33) and filled the tank up with the excess water from taking the tank down. I took the other fish from the community tank to my freinds house as she wanted to give them all a good home. When i came home from doing that i looked into the new rummy tank that i had worked so hard on, and 3 were dead, the death count is now at 12 and there are only 3 left . I dont understand what went wrong, the new tank had cycled and was perfect for them, the ph was precise and there wasnt even a trace of ammonia, nitrate or nitrite, rummy's have always flourished in my tanks. The only times i have ever lost rummy nose's was from netting them. Im guessing thats what happened tonight, but it seems odd that 15 perfectly healthy bright red nosed rummy's could go downhill so fast, especially with all the precautionary measures i took. Im so dissapointed right now, i feel like a fish murderer, i just wish i could go back in time and leave the 33 gal tank alone and never move my babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

They are all dead Such beautiful fish, all full grown. Its such a waste i feel so terrible .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i'm so sorry for your loss Fish are tricky things to move and sometimes things happen that we have no control over or even know about till its too late like spikes in the tank of ammonia and nitrite etc..... I'm sure its not your fault and you did everything right

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kirsty