sad or sick? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

sad or sick?

Our fancy tail gold fish is acting strangely. He has been sitting in the bottom of the tank not swimming. Unless you put food in there then he perks right up and eats heartily! I did notice more than usual air bubbles coming out of his mouth. He does not seem to be tilting. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him. Could he be over weight?
He is sitting there like when he was really bad before. For those of you that don't know - he had lost his fins and scales in an accidental swim into a filter bag.
Any help would be appreciate!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Did you test the water? That would be the first thing I'd do...make sure there's no ammonia or anything. If you don't have a test kit you should be able to bring a water sample into the petstore to be tested.

Unless he was severely overweight it wouldn't cause him to be lethargic...it sounds like something else is wrong.

Is the water maybe too cold with the cooler weather starting? I know goldfish are coldwater fish but if it gets really cold that's not good for them either.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I tested the water and all the levels were fine. There was some algae growing so my husband cleaned their tank but that didn't perk him up either. His fins are up but he just sits there. I don't think that the water is too cold. Unless he is more sensitive for some reason. But it was colder in here in the summer with the air on.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When he comes up to get food he swims normally, right?

Maybe try adding an extra air stone or something to increase the amount of oxygen? That's the only thing I can think of if the water levels are all normal.

How old is he? Maybe he's just getting old .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

He is swimming just fine when he will swim. I cannot imagine that it can be lack of oxygen but we will try another air stone. It certainly cannot hurt. We have only had him a little over a year now. He was a little guy (thus his name) when we got him. Fancy tails don't have a shorter life span than regular goldfish do they? It's just so odd b/c his fins are up and he is fine it really just seems he is lazy. I have never heard of a lazy goldfish though.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
He is swimming just fine when he will swim. I cannot imagine that it can be lack of oxygen but we will try another air stone. It certainly cannot hurt. We have only had him a little over a year now. He was a little guy (thus his name) when we got him. Fancy tails don't have a shorter life span than regular goldfish do they? It's just so odd b/c his fins are up and he is fine it really just seems he is lazy. I have never heard of a lazy goldfish though.
A year old is pretty young for any goldfish...hmm.

When you tested the water what did you test for? And did you use test strips? The strips can be inaccurate sometimes.

Maybe he is just lazy . I would definately keep an eye on him, though. Since that's his only symptom I doubt there's anything horribly wrong.

Keep us updated, though.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My goldfish do that also, they sit quietly for ages and then both get up and swim around for a while and then go back to sitting at the bottom. The most movement they do is at feeding time and then we have a frenzy or they sometimes have a burst of energy and play in the air bubbles

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM

could be hibernation, they slow down so does he reponse and appetite. or he is stuck with poop. give him a squash or cucumber or peas.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyones help. He seems to be doing fine now. This morning he was up and swimming around. He likes peas. If he does it again I will be sure to give him one or two.
I would love to know if he was just being lazy or had a belly ache or what. In my house I wouldn't be surprised if he was just being lazy!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I think it's just lazy! He is still fine and still laying on the bottom unless you give him food or he sees my husband.
Yeah he fits perfect in our house!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I think it's just lazy! He is still fine and still laying on the bottom unless you give him food or he sees my husband.
Yeah he fits perfect in our house!
Haha, well I'm glad it's nothing serious .

~Stephanie

Tags
doing fine, fancy tail gold fish, gold fish