"saltwater ich" and cloudy eye - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

"saltwater ich" and cloudy eye

can anyone please help me,I have a saltwater tank and have lost three fish already because of "ich", and now my puffer has it but he also has cloudy eye, I have done water changes, freshwater dips and used the ich rid medicine but nothing seems to be helping, any suggestions would be helpful, thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Resident Zoologist

OK, what are the symptoms? Tell us more about your tank (hardware, inhabitants, water parameters). Which medication, specifically, did you use, and at what dosage and frequency? How long were your FW dips?

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm going to move this thread to the Aquatics section .

I agree that we need more information to help.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

saltwater "ich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
OK, what are the symptoms? Tell us more about your tank (hardware, inhabitants, water parameters). Which medication, specifically, did you use, and at what dosage and frequency? How long were your FW dips?
thank you for responding,I have a 36 gallon tank, with a clownfish,a blennie,two damsels and my puffer,Ive done the freshwater dips for ten min. 25% water changes and been using "rid ich +disease treatment the company is novalek.I have an eheim canister filter w media no carbon filter,my clownfish has it to now but not as bad as puffer, I was told not to use copper based medicine or it could harm the puffer?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of clownfish? What kind of blenny? What kind of damsels? And what kind of puffer? Your tank sounds over-stocked already IMO, you may have to re-home some fish. What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, etc.

Your filtration seems like something I'd expect for a freshwater tank, honestly, not saltwater. What media are you using in your canister?

Doing water changes is good. You can also raise the temperature and continue doing freshwater dips. But I don't think it will ever go away completely unless you change your stock. You're probably having issues with a combination of stress and poor water quality.

Yes, you want to avoid copper. Puffers can be rather sensitive to it. They're sensitive to medications in general, really. You shouldn't need medication to treat for Ich if the environment is correct.

Good luck, I think we can definitely sort this out but it's going to take some major changes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Newborn Pup

sorry i know nothing about fish tanks... but i was wondering how to post questions??

thxx
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the amonia,nitrate,ph,etc are all good, I check them daily,and the filter I got from aquarium arts,for saltwater fish the media that came with it is eheim substrat pro,the filter is for up to 80 gallons and I have 36,so I think that would be better,keep the tank cleaner,I am planning on getting a bigger tank,the puffer is getting alot bigger than I thought,he is a porrcipine puffer,the clown is a ocellaris,the damsels are a blu devil and a chromis, the blenny is a sailfin blennie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhamsters View Post
sorry i know nothing about fish tanks... but i was wondering how to post questions??

thxx
You just did? Do you mean how to make a thread? Just click the button that says "New Thread" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareng2003 View Post
the amonia,nitrate,ph,etc are all good, I check them daily,and the filter I got from aquarium arts,for saltwater fish the media that came with it is eheim substrat pro,the filter is for up to 80 gallons and I have 36,so I think that would be better,keep the tank cleaner,I am planning on getting a bigger tank,the puffer is getting alot bigger than I thought,he is a porrcipine puffer,the clown is a ocellaris,the damsels are a blu devil and a chromis, the blenny is a sailfin blennie
Just because a filter can run in saltwater doesn't mean it's the best fit for your tank. Do you have live rock? Live rock and a good protein skimmer (my favorites are the AquaC skimmers although there are certainly others that will work) will do a MUCH better job than your canister. The canister filter is a good place to put media like Carbon but they need to be cleaned frequently and aren't the best as the only filter.

Porcupine puffers get huge and are capable of eating smaller fish. They can also be pretty nippy and are prone to "pacing" when the tank is too small/not interesting enough. He's already way too big for your tank and needs to be re-homed or upgraded to a new tank immediately. I'm not sure why you bought one for such a small tank? Maybe the fish store advised you wrong? This is why it's so important to research the species before bringing home a fish (especially a wild-caught specimen, like most saltwater fish sold). Things won't improve in your tank if you can't move the puffer, he's stressed out and probably making a mess, too.

The ocellaris clownfish is a good pick for your sized tank. He will probably end up fighting with the blue devil damsel. The devil damsel will become more and more aggressive as time goes on so I would personally re-home him or move him to his own tank.

The chromis is a schooling fish that needs more space than you're currently providing. They favor long tanks rather than tall and should be kept in groups of 5+ minimum. Your single chromis is probably very stressed. I would re-home him if you can't move him to a new tank with buddies.

By sailfin blenny, do you mean the drab-colored (but comical!) fish usually sold as a lawnmower blenny? Or a different species? I've seen a few fish go by that name. Many commonly sold blennies, like the lawnmower, are mostly herbivorous and starvation is a risk if you can't get them eating commercial foods. Is yours eating?

How long has this tank been set up? Your fish choices seem to be pretty random. If this is under a store's advisement, it's time to start doing your own reading.

~Stephanie

Tags
saltwater "ich"