Scales coming up? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Scales coming up?

I have commented before about Little guy (fancy tail) being lazy. He has been la ying around the bottom of the tank for months now. We always keep a close eye him because his behavior is so strange. Maybe he learned it while recooperating from his horrible accident last spring.
Well last week his top fin which is usually up seemed to be down. we thought maybe we were over feeding and nitrites were up a little. I did a tank change and fed the peas for a couple of says. He seemed better but now I am worried his scales on one side are up a bit off his body. But I am not 100% sure. He likes to lay with the side they are on to the back of the tank so I am not sure of that is the way the light reflects off him or they are coming up some.
How can I tell and what do I do?
I did add a does of melafix just in case.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You mean nitrates, right? I hope you don't really have nitrites because even in small amounts they are toxic.

So the raised scales are only in one area? That may be the beginning of a bacterial infection or a sign of parasites.

It could also be dropsy (which is not actually a disease but can be caused by one)...watch to make sure he swims correctly.

For now you might want to isolate him, add extra aquarium salt, and raise the temperature. Keep nitrates down, too. If he doesn't start improving after a few days he might need to be medicated.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

we had a fancy goldfish loose all of his scales so the next 6 years he was just really really slimy looking i dont know what caused it

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Wow! They can live that long without scales? I had no idea.

I didn't look at the tester - I will double check when I get home. It probably is nitrates. I should know the difference with my college degree but it's been a LONG time since college!
I am concerned about dropsy because he is always so lazy and doesn't swim much. Sometimes it even looks like he is leaning against the side of the tank. That has been going on for probably 6 months now.
I did a partial water change. I added the aquarium salts.
He is only in there with Greta. I am not sure what I would do with her. I am reluctant to put her in the basement with the other fishes. I think she would be very confused.
What kind of meds would I need if it is dropsy? How could I tell if it is?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Or could he be overweight? We have suspected he was for some time now.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Unfortunately you can't treat dropsy unless you know what is causing it. Dropsy is tricky =/.

Feeding some pieces of a boiled and skinned pea often helps.

And if it's just because he ate too much then only feeding the pea and nothing else will help him get back to normal.

If you think he is overweight then just reduce the amount you are feeding him and try to get him a bit more active. Of course you can't take him on a walk or anything (lol) but even just scattering his food so he has to swim around and look for it will help.

What worries me is the fact that he is starting to "pinecone" (the scales being raised). That's never a good sign. A good idea would be to give him a salt bath with epsom salts. Basically, you put him in the salted water for about 10 minutes (a regular 1-gallon container is fine). You may end up having to do it again the next day. Use a tablespoon of epsom salts per gallon. If you do it a second time you can increase the amount of time he spends in the bath.

The epsom salts should really help especially if this has to do with bacteria.

You definately need to seperate him. Because if this was caused by an infection then the other fish could catch it.

Sadly, dropsy is probably the hardest thing to completely treat . But the salt baths and peas will at least make him feel better. And sometimes fish are able to survive...I've known of a few personally .

So, in short this is what I would recommend: fast him for a few days except for the occasional piece of a pea, give him an epsom salt bath, seperate him from other fish, and vacuum the substrate daily to keep things clean.

Good luck.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

what exactly does it look likr when the scales turn up or pinecone? I don't think he looks like a pinecone. Could I just be seeing his coloring of his scales and imagining it?
I think maybe more peas. I may take a picture of him with me to the vets office when I bring Penelope next week.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 PM

It sounds like dropsy to me and I have never had a fish that had it that survived it sorry. I would try some salt baths and put him in an isolated medicated tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

when our fish got sick he had peices of scales fall off, like an inch square at a time.. it looked weird to see his scales on the gound. they were still all connected. our other fish it was with was ok

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
what exactly does it look likr when the scales turn up or pinecone? I don't think he looks like a pinecone. Could I just be seeing his coloring of his scales and imagining it?
I think maybe more peas. I may take a picture of him with me to the vets office when I bring Penelope next week.
Here is a picture showing some pretty bad dropsy on a goldfish: http://www.o-fish.com/HamaPenyakit/i...g_dropsy_1.jpg

But if it is being caused by an infection or parasites often only one area is affected at first.

If you got a picture it would really help.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh he doesn't look anything like that. I have no idea what is going on with him. He is still not swimming well. He tends to lean to one side. He is always propping himself up. He has been doing this for months now. Jay and I think he is worse now but still he hasn't been a "normal" fish for months. He doesn't look anything like that picture. I guess he does not have dropsy with pineconing scales. His top fin is usually up.
I feel so badly for him because he is just laying around all the time. I don't think that is normal for a fish. I have tried to find the answer on the web but have not come across much to help.
I have never been good with fish. I usually try to hard and they go belly up within a year. But the fish we have now are all doing well. The pond kids are going to be 2 this summer and Momma and Poppa fish will be 3. I think Little Guy (the "sick" one) is going to be 2 this summer. Greta is our baby and will just be turning one this summer.
Little Guy has just been through so much last spring/summer I would hate for anything to happen to him now. I know he is a fighter and how strong he is. Not sure if you remember how bad he looked after the pond return accident. He was BAD!
It is frustrating to just look at him and wonder what is going on.
I will get Jay to post a picture of him now.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Oh he doesn't look anything like that. I have no idea what is going on with him. He is still not swimming well. He tends to lean to one side. He is always propping himself up. He has been doing this for months now. Jay and I think he is worse now but still he hasn't been a "normal" fish for months. He doesn't look anything like that picture. I guess he does not have dropsy with pineconing scales. His top fin is usually up.
I feel so badly for him because he is just laying around all the time. I don't think that is normal for a fish. I have tried to find the answer on the web but have not come across much to help.
I have never been good with fish. I usually try to hard and they go belly up within a year. But the fish we have now are all doing well. The pond kids are going to be 2 this summer and Momma and Poppa fish will be 3. I think Little Guy (the "sick" one) is going to be 2 this summer. Greta is our baby and will just be turning one this summer.
Little Guy has just been through so much last spring/summer I would hate for anything to happen to him now. I know he is a fighter and how strong he is. Not sure if you remember how bad he looked after the pond return accident. He was BAD!
It is frustrating to just look at him and wonder what is going on.
I will get Jay to post a picture of him now.
He may have swim bladder disorder. It can be caused by many different things. Did you fast him? If that didn't work then it might be because of a bacterial infection. I would try some MelaFix first...I don't usually recommend it for infections but it's one of the few products that can help with internal ones. Maracyn-Two would be another one to try...it cures a wide range of infections.

You said this problem has been going on for about six months...were there any stressful events right around then? Perhaps a huge water change, moving him to a new place, or even an illness?

Also, what are you feeding? Sometimes swim bladder disorder is caused by diet.

If he's been doing ok for so long it sounds like it might be a permanent problem. Fish with this disorder can live healthy, happy lives if their needs are met. It's a good idea to make sure they don't have really strong filteration/aeration. I know it's weird to say that about goldfish but it will make it harder to swim for a fish with SBD. Instead perform daily water changes to make up for the weaker filteration. Keep the water clean, feed a varied diet (I don't recommend flakes for a fish with SBD...frozen or live foods would be best along with fresh veggies), and fast him a couple times a week. Also make sure the temperature stays fairly steady.

~Stephanie

Tags
aquarium salt