Scavengers??? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 AM

thank you as well ^^.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Your very welcome!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
is a little "special"

Yay! Your all awsome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Hmm...I'm thinking Dojo Loaches since they live in cold water like Goldfish...I have four and they keep my tank relatively clean, just maybe get a better filter, change it frequently, and maybe even put another in there? Nothing two filters can do wrong .
Dojo loaches need a big tank, though, 20+ gallons because they get 12+ inches long. They are real......hold on, you do have Dojos don't you? I just replied to your post about that, sorry
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
is a little "special"

How big are you guys's goldie tanks? The petstore was fish-sitting my goldfish while I set up her 20g tank. I got her back today and now it looks too small! I guess she grew alot...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM

Jess you need 20gallons per goldfish.
With comets I'd personally go a little bigger per fish since they are fast fish.I want goldfish in the near future again,but I really don't have room @ the moment.
My turtles take up a lot of my apartment.
(& I want more turtles )
So I'd possibly go with an outdoor pond,I know of people who overwinter their goldies outside& they don't freeze but I don't know how that really works.But i'd love a fish pond,or a full wall turned into an aquarium.I am partial to black moors& fantails =] Though they all look cute!! ^_^
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM
is a little "special"

Mines a comet, and shes about 4in and shes the only one in the tank. Id love a 40g for her, but my hermies are using my only one and I cant get another! Maybe when my basements finished I can upgrade? I hope so, cause shes really pretty! And I dont want to put her in a pond cause we live by woods and there are minks, birds, neighbors cats, and who knows what else that would love a fishy snack!

post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Leo

Back to a few pages ago.

I have successfully used a HOB and UGF with my Goldfish, It did a great job with keeping the tank clean, BUT it was not a planted tank (unless you count plastic plants).... so it would probably not work for your tank (I'm surprised how many people here have planted FW tanks).

I have only had snails in my SW tank and they are actually great cleaners of all unused debris including poop, leftover food and algae (I love SW snails and hermit crabs). FW must be different, they sound like a nuisance.. I have never had FW snails (other than in my pond).

I have also used a canister filter.. and LOVE LOVE LOVE it... I will not go back to any other type of filter (other than a sump if I get a SW tank over 150 gallons). I have a Fluval... and although it was pricey (around $200) it was well worth the money. I'm sure you can find one on Ebay for much cheaper than what I paid.

As for cleaning the gravel with a vacuum and getting the water back in your mouth from trying to start it.... all you have to do is completely emerge the whole vacuum system (including hose) in the tank let it fill with water and you are on your merry way to a clean tank with no fish poo in the mouth.

If you do not have a Vacuum I would really recommend getting one (they are cheap less than $10)... it makes water changes so much easier.... I actually would not know how to do a water change without a vacuum, because that is how I get the water out of the tank (I let the water and fish poo drain into a bucket and then flush it down the toilet).... How do you change your water and clean your tank without a vacuum?

What I would do:
1. Get another filter a canister or another HOB. It sounds like you do not have enough filtration for your system.
2. Buy a vacuum for the gravel
3. Weekly partial water changes
4. Check your water parameters before you do any of the above... test a week later and notice the difference.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Mines a comet, and shes about 4in and shes the only one in the tank. Id love a 40g for her, but my hermies are using my only one and I cant get another! Maybe when my basements finished I can upgrade? I hope so, cause shes really pretty! And I dont want to put her in a pond cause we live by woods and there are minks, birds, neighbors cats, and who knows what else that would love a fishy snack!

I live behind the woods pretty much& we have a lot of problems with wild animals (foxes,minks,coyotes,bears,moose,lynx etc etc).
So I understand the problem there.I think you'll be ok with the 20gal for now ^_^
Especially since it's the only fishie in the tank.Make sure you have good filtration though.
Theyre messy fishies.& They have to swim in their own mess too,so filtration is important.

Leo - A fluval is what I use with my turtles.I have 2 now because theyre not in a tank atm but a kiddie pool.
They are great to have& eBay is where I got mine. & It's the fluval 4 I believe?& If it cleans turtle mess...it should help with goldie mess too .
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yes,I do have weather loaches.I have two of them.I have had them for yrs before too back in the day.I love them.

I do water changes/partial cleanings by using buckets and taking half of the water out,cleaning the filter.I also borrow my sister's vacumn,if you didn't read a few posts back.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 PM
is a little "special"

My filters pretty good... its an Eclipse (not sure what model) and its really big, so Im guessing it filters alot of water. And I usually syphen 1/2 their tank every month.

Tags
algae eater, cory cats, fish tank, hermit crab, hermit crabs, local fish store, pet store, pet stores, pet supply store, pet trade, vanilla rat, wild animal, wild animals