Scavengers??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Scavengers???

I am wondering if there is a species of fish that are scavengers and will eat fish poop.Gross I know.

I was thinking this,because I have goldfish and they are quite messy fish in general.It would be neat to have a scavenger fish that could live with the goldies and would eat poop...it would help me out big time!!

So do any of you know of any?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Corys....they eat anything and everything ... I have 4 or 5 ~ too much hiding places for me to count!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nope. Regardless of what petstores claim, there aren't any poop-eating fish (or at least none usually seen in the pet trade).

Cory cats do not eat feces...they eat un-eaten food but still need their diets supplemented. My cories are fed bloodworms, algae wafers, krill, vegetables, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I remember for the LONGEST time I thought that cories ate fish poop,because thats what I always heard.Upon further research I found out that is not the case.

Oh well...that sucks!It was worth a try.

Oh I do not listen to what pet store employees say anyway.I found out recently one store will not sell you any plecos,unless you have alot of algae in your tank.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post

Oh I do not listen to what pet store employees say anyway.I found out recently one store will not sell you any plecos,unless you have alot of algae in your tank.
Wow. What idiots. I guess that when the poor plecos starve to death new ones will be bought so in the end they make more money....

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Wow. What idiots. I guess that when the poor plecos starve to death new ones will be bought so in the end they make more money....

Yep.It is sad.Plecos do not just eat algae,so when someone goes in to buy one and the stupid employess won't sell them because the customer has "no algae" in the tank,thats just sad.

I am suprised tho,because you would think they would want money! By not selling plecos,they lose out money.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl View Post
Corys....they eat anything and everything ... I have 4 or 5 ~ too much hiding places for me to count!
Definately NOT.
I have 2 corydoras.

Sasami already answered the question though.
& I knew that about plecos too.Poor plecos
You just have to get a wicked good filter
& Do partial changes religiously .

Last edited by candyraver; 07-02-2007 at 05:32 AM.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
is a little "special"

Fiddler crabs might work. I never had one my self, but crabs eat alot of different things. Does your goldfish have long fins though? If it does the crab might eat it too... Uh oh! I fust use a syphen that has a gravel vacuum type thing at the end and it works better than bottom feeders cause it gets all the debris out of the gravel. And you don't have to keep it alive, wich is good if your like me cause my bottom feeders always die mysteriously....

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Melissa - Yeah,I do that anyway.I make sure my fish have clean water all the time and do water changes all the time becaue goldfish are really messy fish and I have fancy varieties which can become ill quickly if not in good conditions.Goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish ever!

I was just hoping there was a fish I didn't know about that ate poop,because it would help me out alot!

Jess - I do have long finned godlies.My sarassa comet is pretty large and has long flowy fins and then I also have 2 orandas,a celestial and a lionhead.I also have 2 common goldfish,but they have short fins.

So a crab would not be good in my tank.Plus those little freshwater crabs you see in pet stores,they are fiddler crabds I believe...well they need brackish water and my goldies do not.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You know whats also sad about the plecos is that the pet stores sell them when they are very small....and leave out a very important detail on their monstrous size that they will eventually become...and the new owners never bother to research or even buy larger tanks to accommodate these poor creatures...i knew one person that had a 15in in a ten tank tank~!!! i kid you not

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa yeah, I had a pleco once and he got HUGE. I had to feed him lots of veggies and stuff, and got him his own tank when he outgrew the one he was in. I didn't know they got that big when I first got him. He was really kewl though, his name was "Fluffy"

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh yeah! Thats another fact they just have to "leave out"! Plecos get huge!! They also do not tell people that Chinese algae eaters get big and aggressive too.They just have to leave things...important things like that out.

I have a small common pleco right now.He is only a couple of inches yet,but he is in a 29 gallon right now.

I want to get a bristlenose or a clown pleco too.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

pet stores seem to "leave out" a lot of info...

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
is a little "special"

Quote:
pet stores seem to "leave out" a lot of info...
Ya they really do: one store told me I could keep 6 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank a few years ago! All of them died exept 1 and I still have her.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Ya they really do: one store told me I could keep 6 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank a few years ago! All of them died exept 1 and I still have her.
The MINIMUM for a single goldfish is 20 gallons. I don't know why petstores wouldn't want to tell people that, they would sell a whole lot more tanks that way.

Lucky for me I have 3 awesome local fish stores here with knowledgeable staff (in SW, FW & BW). I absolutely refuse to buy a fish (or pet) from a pet supply store where they will just hire whoever off the street. The care your fish receives prior to you taking it home has a lot to do with how successful you will be with keeping your fish alive.

As for bottom feeders that eat only poop, I don't know of any. Goldfish are one of the dirtiest fish too...hmmmmm, perhaps vacuuming weekly along with weekly water changes and 2 filtration sources (like waterfall and underground) would help. Do you have any snails??

Last edited by Leo; 07-03-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Tags
algae eater, cory cats, fish tank, hermit crab, hermit crabs, local fish store, pet store, pet stores, pet supply store, pet trade, vanilla rat, wild animal, wild animals