Photos! Seahorses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Seahorses

Just thought I'd share a few pics of 2 of my male seahorses.

The yellow one is Jack and the Orange one is Seabiscuit.

Seabiscuit is our newest addition. We just got him about 2 months ago and he is still putting on some weight, as you can see he is a bit thin in the pics. He was just introduced into the main tank after being quarantined for 2 months.

I tried to get some pics of Diane (Jacks girlfriend) but she is a blackish brown color right now, and the pics weren't turning out right because shes behind a rock. I'll try again later.

Jack's so cute holding onto a snail in his shell bowl in the last pic. <3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Hello Earthling

Cute!! It must be awesome having such unique animals

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That is so cool! I want a seahorse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Very cute! I want some pygmy seahorses .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

They are gorgeous! I would love seahorses they are so cute!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Seahorses are so fun to watch. And Jack is so friendly, when I put my hand in the tank for cleaning or anything, he swims over to me and grabs onto my fingers and just hangs out lol. They are fun.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Very cool! Great pics.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Thanx for posting! I'm fascinated with Sea Horses!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww! How cute!! That is a very unique pet--you're lucky!! How sweet that he hangs on to you!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Newborn Pup

I know this is an old thread but hoping the owner might stop by it again

What kind of seahorses are they and what setup do you have them in. They look like Hippocampus Redi but cant tell from the photos (and im not great at id'ing seahorses).

I love seahorses and we have just setup a tank for a pair (though finding a captive bred pair locally will probably take awhile).

- Paul
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

They are Hippocampus reidi. I don't have them anymore though, when I moved a few weeks ago, my uncle offered to take them in, since I couldn't bring them with me. It was sad to give them up, especially Jack and Diane, I've had them for over 2 years. But I'll be able to see them still, since my uncle has them.

But, They were being kept in a 45 gal aquarium. With 45lbs of live rock, and live sand. Lots of hitching posts, i.e. fake plants and coral, I tried some live plants at one point, but it kept dying before I even transplanted it into the main tank, so I gave up on live plants. I could go into more detail, but I am not sure what all you want to know.

How long has your tank been cycling? And what cycling method are you using?

I was "lucky" enough that my local pet store was willing to order sea horses when I would ask them. But the sea horses they would get, I'm pretty sure, were WC. Which I didn't agree with... And every time, the sea horses were sick or starving. When I first got Diane, she had snout rot. Jack, I never had any health problems with. My other female, Gaile, came to me with ectoparasites... And Seabiscuit was severely underweight. Several hundred dollars spent on meds, and weeks/months in a hospital tank, and they all were eventually healthy and could be kept together. It was just very time and money consuming.

So, if you do find a local CB seller, be sure and know all the signs of any illness so perhaps you can start out with some healthy seahorses. Unlike I did, lol. I knew the horsies were sick when I bought them, but I was prepared to deal with it... even though i shouldn't have.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...they are so cute!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I have better pics of them somewhere, and I have a REALLY cute one of Jack and Diane with their tails intertwined just floating around in the water. I can't find the memory card that those pics are on though! I'll find it someday.... lol.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Newborn Pup

Thanks a lot for the info

I have a 100g reef tank so have just transfered some of the live rock from there to the seahorse tank. The rock was only out of the water for less than a minute so there hasn't been any kind of cycle. Just keeping a close eye on it now to make sure there weren't any little hitch hiking crabs in there.

The tank technically is ready now but we are going to leave it until probably December/January before we add any seahorses to let the pod population get nice and big (we culture pods and rotifiers as well but good to get a nice big natural supplying going in the tank). We also want to get some good macro algae growth going as well so they have a nice established tank to go into.

We are in a similar position with the LFS. They have had them in a few times but I also think they where WC ones. I also know that this LFS doesn't quarantine their livestock.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oh wow! what amazing animals

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~