Seen a betta for the first time in YEARS! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Seen a betta for the first time in YEARS!

Ok well i have tropical fish which i have had for YEARS! so i know a little bit about fish.
But i have not seen a betta over here in like 8-9 years! and im so inlove i want one! infact i need one. But i have never owned one.
Could someone please answer these questions before i get my hubby to get me one!!
What size of tank does it need to be? Please post a pic or show me a link because we count gal's over here differently!
What kind of food does it eat? just normal fish food or not?
Does it need a filter/pump?
Anything else i should know?

i know i cannot put it in with other fish and i do not want to anyways! i just want a little friend !!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hi, i have one in a ten gal, with other fish, guppies, platies, and cory catfish

they are hit and miss though, i just have a very... non spunky one i guess, i don't have a pic sorry...

i think they normally get along pretty will with cory catfish as they wont bite their fins and they look nothing like a betta so the betta wont try to fight it... They only fight things that look like male betas from what i have heard and mine doesn't attack anything

My other betta is in a smaller tank alone (he has a snail friend) but i have to clean it all the time

sometimes filters are too strong and betta's get their tail stuck in it.. so you have to be careful, you can put lots of stuff infront of the filter so the current is weaker

they make special betta food and they like the freeze dried blood worms and regular tropical flakes mine gets 3 types of food betta, blood worms, and tropical flakes

female bettas get along with other fish if you have a tank that can fit one or they get along with each other so you can get a few, they have shorter fins but they come in really pretty colors as well

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Have you got an example of a 10gal because over here we don't measure tanks in gals .. so i don't know what size that is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

10 gal US=

37 liters
8 gal imperial
7,680 teaspoons
40 courts
80 pints

if that helps

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

7,680 teaspoons

My Furry Family
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

are you sure its 37 litres? If so thats MASSIVE and the guy at the shop told me half the size.. lol

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i thought that number was weird too i have no idea, that is what my converter said

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

LOL i think i have got the idea anyways thank you guys!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i checked on google and they say the same thing.. 10 gal = 37.8 liters

4 uk pecks
1280 ponys
853 jigglers

haha maybe those will help you, lol i haven't heard of any of them

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I believe 10 gallons should really be the minimum for any fish tank. you could keep a betta in a 5gallon, but you'll have to to alot more tank maintenance, be more careful about water changes, and be more careful about the kind of filter, its hard to find a small filter that will do its job, and not create too much current.. I dont think anything under 10 gallons can Maintain a healthy 'cycle' which all tanks need.
Most People in shops will tell you just about anything to get you to buy something. Most will sell you the little Betta bowls for your betta, even tho thats the worst possible thing to keep any fish in. I mean think about there point of view.. if the fish dies, most people will come back and buy another one. more money for them. A 10 gallon tank would be kinda big for just a betta, but he will display alot more natural behavio, more then you would ever see in a smaller tank, and it leaves plenty of room to decorate with plants and things to make the tank more personal.

My Furry Family
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
I believe 10 gallons should really be the minimum for any fish tank. you could keep a betta in a 5gallon, but you'll have to to alot more tank maintenance, be more careful about water changes, and be more careful about the kind of filter, its hard to find a small filter that will do its job, and not create too much current.. I dont think anything under 10 gallons can Maintain a healthy 'cycle' which all tanks need.
Most People in shops will tell you just about anything to get you to buy something. Most will sell you the little Betta bowls for your betta, even tho thats the worst possible thing to keep any fish in. I mean think about there point of view.. if the fish dies, most people will come back and buy another one. more money for them. A 10 gallon tank would be kinda big for just a betta, but he will display alot more natural behavio, more then you would ever see in a smaller tank, and it leaves plenty of room to decorate with plants and things to make the tank more personal.
I agree with this fully.

You CAN keep a betta in a 5-gallon, but a 10-gallon is much better if you have the space.

I would never keep one in anything less than a 5-gallon, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

more is better, the fish is meant to be a pet, not a prisoner

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
bbbbbb