Selling Baby Fish (including bettas) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Selling Baby Fish (including bettas)

I am new to breeding bettas and have just hatched my first spawn.
I've done extensive research and am pretty sure I know how to raise the fry as they grow (although if anyone has any tips, PLEASE feel free to share them with me), but the problem is I have no idea what to do with them once they grow older. Bettas lay as many as 500 eggs, and there is NO WAY I can keep up with anything above 10 bettas. I already have a couple of friends who are interested in adopting one, but the problem still remains of getting rid of the rest. The idea of selling to a pet store is very apealing to me, but the only pet stores in my area are petsmart and petco, its a small town so there are no fish stores. Do petsmart and petco take fish? and if so, how do I sell to them? (I also live about an hour and a half away from a very big city so i could go there too, maybe I could sell to there...?) HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't want to sound rude but why did you decide to breed? It's better not to breed animals if you don't have places for the babies to go...especially with fish who lay tons of eggs.

But try Aquabid.com and posting to fish-related forums. If worst comes to worst you might need to use them as, well, feeders or something...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Im pretty sure that petco and petsmart have their own betta suppliers and am sure they probably will not take any from private breeders. In fact I am about 99.9 percent sure.

Why did you decide to start breeding bettas?

Good sticky thread to read...
responsible breeding

Its good you did the research before you bred the bettas to see how to go about it but maybe you should have thought about what you would do with the babies before you even started breeding them. That is very, very important.
Its too late oviously now.

I hope you have a good turn out and most survive for you. It will be difficult though.
I also hope you will be able to place the ones that do.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Time to find a phone book... i would call around to any pet stores you can.. tell them your Betta's just hatched, and ask if they would be willing to take some in the future, if they survive, in return for store credit or something, or maybe just take them. I've really never heard of a pet store paying for fish, some will give a store credit, or some supplies, but prolly not petco or petsmart. Its a risk buying fish from random people, if they end up sick or something the pet store could lose alot of money or customers, so them taking any would actually be doing you a favor.
You could also put an ad in your local paper, depending on how many survive, sell them for like a $1.
I don't know much about breeding Betta's, i thought Betta's together would fight so I'd love to know what your setups like and stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Breeding bettas is fairly simple but its what comes after that is more difficult.
I used to work for a betta breeder and she had 100's of betta males and females!
She had one big room in her house dedicated to breeding them and was and still is quite successful.
She has a website...Welcome to bettatalk.com, the ultimate betta site for all betta lovers! and has been on animal planet and is founder
and President of L.A.B.S (Los AngelesBetta Society)
It was really beautiful walking into a room full of colorful male bettas-like a rainbow or fins! Watching the mating process is beautiful and exciting.

All the males were housed in separate containers(in the betta room) and the females were housed together in huge tanks of 100+ in her front rooms.
When its time to breed them of course the fem and male are put together. But a serious breeder will not just whatever female and male together haphazardly!

Things do not always go well. They will fight but hopefully not to the point of killing each other. Hopefully the female wants to mate with that male (she can be choosy)...if not he can and sometimes will injure her. She can be hurt very badly and die from her injuries. She then needs to be removed and treated in her own container til she recovers and heals. Sometimes the female will get hurt as well as she fights back.
So when the mating time comes they have to be watched thru the process.
When they do mate/ spawn the male catches the eggs in his mouth as the female releases them. He spits them into the bubble nest he has already prepared. When this process is done the female needs to be removed soon afterward or he will kill her. He takes care of the eggs all by himself.

Now, raising the fry when they hatch can be challenging too. They are very tiny as you can imagine and good nutrition is essential and diligent care is needed for the fry to survive and flourish.
Being successful at that takes lotz of good research, time and dedication.

Serena- Go to that link and ask Faith any questions you have on raising the fry.
Hope you do well.

Lve Never Fails

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here is a link from her website on rearing the fry..

rearing the fry

You can also email her any other questions if you need to.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

its not that i didnt have a place for the fry to go (although my first post might have been misleading lol). originally I was planning on keeping them to myself and put them around my bedroom. but when I read that bettas lay 400-600 eggs, I started panicking and I didnt know what to do. but this morning I came across an article that said only about 20-30 actually manage to grow to an adult age (due to deformities and such), and what's a few extra bettas here and there? (I might even manage to get my brother to take some!)
still, I havent given up on the idea of selling/giving to pet stores and the like, so if anyone who had managed to sell bettas or other fish to stores in the past could please give me a few tips or even tell me the name of the store they sold them to it would be VERY MUCH apreciated.

anyway, thank you so much for your help, everyone, and next time ill think a bit longer before trying to breed my bettas!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of bettas are you breeding? That will help a lot with figuring out where to sell them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm breeding a red male crowntail with a cambodian colored female crowntail so the babies will be mostly crowntail...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenalwang View Post
I'm breeding a red male crowntail with a cambodian colored female crowntail so the babies will be mostly crowntail...
Ah, ok.

You could try AquaBid like I had said but whether or not they sell would depend on finnage and coloration. If these are petstore bettas it's hard to say what colors you'll get.

Oh, and I would join UltimateBettas...there's a link in my signature. I don't mean to drive you away from here (obviously ) but you could post a thread to sell the babies once they're older.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
RAT ADDICT

WOW....well I hope you can find places for these bettas to go when they hatch,whether you keep them all (alot of responsibility) or give them away/sell them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Oh, and I would join UltimateBettas...there's a link in my signature.
ultimate bettas is so helpful! I read through so many stories about first spawns! thanks a bunch!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

there is no profit in breeding bettas...a dime a dozen..and chances are not all 500 will make it...maybe half at best

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If one knows what they are doing....have done their research and continues to keep doing it, are doing what they can to improve the breed, really care and are passionate about what they are doing etc.... there can be great joy and profit in breeding bettas.
It takes great care and dedication though. Its def not for just the average betta owner.

My friend has been doing quite well for many years now and fits what was mentioned above.

www.Bettatalk.com----> home back up 101907

Stock for sale

Look at the beautiful colors!! betta colors

Tags
animal planet, male betta, male cat, pet store, pet stores