Setting up the 55 ~finally - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Setting up the 55 ~finally

David decided to set up the 55gallon tank he bought from someone awhile back.. So we took it outside in the dark to wash it out on this lovely 38*F night Then we brought it back in and David decided to start filling it up (without any gravel or anything because cuz he can't decide what he wants ) Only to figure out that he put it too close to the wall that the filter didn't fit behind the tank So he had to empty it out again.. while waiting for the tank to empty, i mentioned he might wanna get the lights and stuff ready, so he plugged them in and of course they don't work so now we need to find new lights (help?) Then he asks me what were gonna put in it this is supposed to be his tank! So, he has no idea what he wants, he said something colorful, like yellow.. helpful isn't he? i thought he had said he wanted Mollies, but the last time we were at the pet store he said he didn't, so I've no idea. I'd like to make this a community tank, with some of our guppies in it, and maybe a pleco, but i don't know if he likes plecos either. I know he liked the cory's. Anyone know of any other yellow fish? Or just some fish that are more colorful?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Electric yellows would look great in a 55gal. They are a cichlid though. They're Mouthbrooders which i think is cool *L* (quite a few cichlids that are yellow~ish, though many are not for communities)

Fish that come in yellow

Mollies
Platys
Swordtails
Guppies
Golden Barb
Gold Gourami
Honey Dwarf Gourami
Gold Panchax

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

lol

I'm sorry, i don't know what to suggest, but your writing is hilarious!!
xoxo

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Part of the Pack

Gouramis are a good choice, depending on their aggression. Some are a little more mean than others. Ive seen some Beautiful yellow ones though!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

We went to walmart the other night and i made him stand in front of the fish until he said what kinds he likes, and he said he mostly just liked the mollies because there happen to be a yellow one in there And there was an orange guppy in there he liked too, So i think when the tank is ready for fish we will get a couple mollies and another male guppy, to breed with some of our females.. and let them all have a sorta QT time in there.. then we can put our female guppies in the big tank.. and the males in the 29gal and use one of the 10s as a breeding tank. and then later use it as a QT tank for whatever else we decide to get.

As for substrates we are thinking of doing a sand and river rock mix, which is what he originally wanted to do. But i guess the lady at the pet store told him sand wasn't a good idea for freshwater tanks? Anyone know why she would say that? Also, ive read about people using pool sand in there tanks, like from a pool supply store?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sand is fine for freshwater tanks, I've used it. What she probably means is coral sand, which is intended for marine and brackish aquariums (some cichlid tanks, too).

I just bought regular play sand at a toy store and washed it really, really well. Seriously. It takes forever to get sand clean . But it's worth it in the end, as it looks really nice. They also sell sand at petstores which might be easier to use.

Just remember that you can't use sand with any undergravel filters, and you need to put it in slowly. Even if you wash it really well and are careful, your water will probably be pretty cloudy at first.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
55gallon, fish, new tank