Should I? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Should I?

Okay...my 3 yr old daughter got a tank for Christmas,from one of my sisters.Do not worry,I help her look after it and she assists and loves feeding the fish.

Anyway...Chloe had a betta which she named "Nemo".He was a handsome little betta.Unfortunatly he only lasted about a month before dying.He had ich.I recently went through a bout of ich in my tank and unfortunatly before I knew my tank had ich,I used the same net I was using in my tank for my daughter's betta...next thing,he had ich.

Anyway as he was dying,Chloe was looking at him and she knew he was sick because she came to me and said "Nemo is sick".Unfortunatly she went to daycare and the fish died.When she came home,the fish was no longer in the tank.

My question is...should I get her a new one? She has asked about him and misses feeding him.I was teaching her responsibility,which I can easily do (and am doing) with my own pets.

I didn't know how to explain to a 3 yr old that the fish is gone.She obviously will not understand.

So what should I do?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Guarded by Waffles

hmmm that's a tough one. I wish I knew what to do. I don't have kids yet so I am not much help in this situation. Can you try to tell her that Nemo went to heaven? Would she understand that?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
laugh often

hmm. I don't really know how you wish to go about it. But when I got my boyfriends niece an african tree frog for her birthday it passed away 2 days later. So we took her to the petstore and told her to pick out a new fish that can go into the old tank. She still missed her frog but she was totally happy with the new fish she got.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

haven't you had pets around her before that have died? just tell her the fishy went to heaven because he was very sick. its sad but he went somewhere that he had a huge ocean to play in with lots of friends. then let her get a new fish
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 PM

I think you should buy her a new one. It would be good, she may think about the new one more, and forget about the old one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would just tell her the truth that unfortuantly pets die and he is not suffering anylonger,that its okay to miss him but that she shouldn't worry about him.

You can ask her if she wants another fishie like Nemo to love which she probably does. Let her pick one out, with your approval first, of course, and continue to teach her how to love and be responsible for the pets we love.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

What Luv said. Just tell her Nemo is in fishy-heaven.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So me and my family have been giving Chloe money ($1 or .25 or whatever) for chores/helping out and she said she is saving up for another fishy!

She almost has enough for another betta too!
So she really wants another fish.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

sounds like a determined little girl my daughter absolutly loved her Betta Martin...she wants another, but says shes not ready yet...sounds like Chloe is

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Will It Ever Change?

chloe sounds young enough to get over fishy death, and old enough to save money to buy a new one. i'd say tell her he's in fishy heaven and let her get another when she's saved up enough

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thats what we are doing!

* Lisa *

Tags
tree frog