Sick Betta? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Sick Betta?

Jo-Jo is just laying on the bottom of his tank. Every so often he'll swim to the top real fast and then float back down and lay there. He hasn't eaten in a while... any ideas? Ryland is very sad.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Anyone?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I know my betta lays on the bottom quite a bit, but he usually swims to the top when I feed him.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

has he lost any color?? usually right before bettas pass, they will lose a lot of their color. they also seem less interested in eating.

i hope he is ok.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM

I've had bettas and they seem to be lazy. Not agerssive to any other fish and just like the bottom
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:30 PM

One thing I have read is that when the water temperature gets too low, bettas will cease almost all activity. The water should be between 78-82 degrees F. I hope it is something as simple as that, hang in there little fishie!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

How long do they typically live? We've had him since November. I will check the water temp, but he's in our room where it's typically dark and cool. Thanks everyone. I'm only worried because it's a change in behavior and he's not interested in eating.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:13 PM

Bettas usually live anywhere from a year to two years, but since you didn't know how old he was at the pet store, when you got him, he could be over a year. But, bettas usually like warm, bright places. Could you maybe move him to a different room?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:05 AM

Is he laying upright or flopped over on his side? What is he fed? Water temp?

If he's on his side it could be related to his swim bladder. Since Bettas are meat eaters I imagine he is being fed a food high in meat, so constipation is always a concern. It is recommended that Betta owners feed part of a pea to their Bettas at least once a week to prevent constipation. Feeding part of a pea now may help get him eating again, that is, if you can get him to eat the pea in the first place. He may just need help passing something through his system.

Also, swim baldder problems are often related to diet or feeding habits. So, if he is having swim bladder issues, feeding a pea now may get him back on his feet, so to speak.

Water temp may also play a role, based on where he's kept. Bettas are tropical so they need warm water. The colder the water the less active they will become and, if the water is cool enough, they can die. The water temp will also affect their hunger. Bettas kept in cooler water tend to require less food.

Last edited by Tilt; 08-22-2005 at 03:09 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I've never heard that about the pea!

He's not on his side but he's curved and his back is kind of arched. His color does look different, less bright. I'll try moving him and see if that works.

We're feeding him Bio Blend by Life Science Systems.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 08:15 AM

How's he doing? Any change?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

He's gone. Ryland was ok with it, we went to the store and got an upside-down catfish and some tetras - and another betta for the other tank. It was his decision. I think he's just too young to understand. But when he got up this morning and walked by the tank I did hear him say, "where's JoJo?"

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Aw, I'm sorry to hear you lost, JoJo. Poor Ryland... he may not be heartbroken but its still sad I'm sure to see the confusion. I hope he is happy with the new fishies to look at.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 12:46 PM

Aw I'm sorry. Give Ry a hug for me. I'm glad he took it well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Poor kid...

Tags
pet store