Sick Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Sick Betta

Hey,

My Betta fish (honestly don't know a lot about them as he was a christmas present) has lost some colour within the last couple of hours.

Usually, after a do a water change he makes very large bubble nests but this time its only been small and he hasn't been as happy as usual. I do 100% water changes once a week (still with about a cup full of old tank water) as it is a fairly small tank. Is this too much of a shock for him & could that be why he is losing colour?

I only did it 2 days ago but I'm thinking I will do a water change tomorrow or the next day, depending on if you think its a good idea to let the water age before you replace it..

I just read that you need to add aquarium salt to the tank so thats one thing to buy hopefully tomorrow or the next day..

He also doesn't seem to be as interested in his food as usual but will still eat it after some coaxing.

Any ideas? I'll keep you posted with developments.
I hope he's still there when I wake up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hmm, just looking at him again makes me think he has ick/ich but I'm not entirely sure what all the symptoms are..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Actually its too early to jump to conclusions..
There might be one or two things that could pass as white spots but its nothing obvious.. Just me worrying I guess. Its really just the loss of colour at the moment.

I've decided to use the money I've saved up to get him a larger tank I feel so bad keeping him in something so small..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

a larger tank with a filter will do him wonders, but the bowl isn't the end of the world. when you changed the water did you put in the water conditioner to get rid of chlorine adn other dissolved minerals? other than that, i say we wait for sasami, she's the expert lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Hello Earthling

Do you have a heater in your tank? That could possibly be why he's losing colour if he's too cold. If you think he had ick you could possibly start treating him with a bit of aquarium salt, in till someone else can come and give you some more info.

Would you have any pictures so we could see?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 PM

there is a very helpful website out there called "Betta Talk". When I had my betta - who finally went to the great pond in the sky - I visited her site probably daily to learn more about them. Good Luck with your fish and, yeah, the bigger tank will do him a great deal of good.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How large is the bowl? If it's one of those tiny ones smaller then a gallon then a weekly water change is probably not enough. Doing more water changes will be stressful, though. Moving him to a larger tank will help.

But what seems most likely is that the temperature is too low. Bettas are tropical and require a heater in most cases.

Aquarium salt is good for treating parasites but don't add it after every water change.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Bettas like small tanks. My betta did really well in a 2L glass water jug. While they do like smaller areas, if you wanted to move him to a bigger tank I'd still make sure that he has enough hiding spaces to feel secure. I usually don't worry about problems with Ich, if bettas are cold they'll develop fungus first (I don't want to scare you, you'll know it if he has it, he'll be fluffy). Major color changes are a concern, but slight ones are normal.

The other thing I was wondering is, how often are you feeding him? If he's in a small container and you're feeding him twice a day that's too much, and the water conditions could affect how he's feeling. Size of eye = Size of stomach. Literally.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
Bettas like small tanks. My betta did really well in a 2L glass water jug. While they do like smaller areas, if you wanted to move him to a bigger tank I'd still make sure that he has enough hiding spaces to feel secure. I usually don't worry about problems with Ich, if bettas are cold they'll develop fungus first (I don't want to scare you, you'll know it if he has it, he'll be fluffy). Major color changes are a concern, but slight ones are normal.

The other thing I was wondering is, how often are you feeding him? If he's in a small container and you're feeding him twice a day that's too much, and the water conditions could affect how he's feeling. Size of eye = Size of stomach. Literally.
This is NOT true at all. Where did you get this information? Bettas, like any other tropical, need space to thrive and don't live as long in smaller tanks. I have seen bettas kept in little vases/bowls and noticed that their coloring is more dull, fins are often clamped, and they tend to be listless. Of course, you can't notice a difference until you keep them in a larger aquarium.

2L is too small for ANY fish. Ammonia will build up really fast in that size container, stressing out and often killing the fish (even if it takes a while). You would literally be having to change the water a couple times a day to keep ammonia down. But that would be so stressful that it wouldn't work anyways.

How would you heat a small jug safely? That's a big problem. You can't. They don't design good aquarium heaters for such small amounts of water.

Also, it is not true that if they get cold they'll develop fungus. True fungal infections are actually pretty uncommon, what most people think is fungus is really a bacterial infection (which can be caused by many factors, one of the most common being poor water conditions). A fish can easily get Ich in cooler temperatures and it would actually be more dangerous since the parasite's life cycle will be lengthened. Ich is usually brought on by stress and cold temperatures are stressful.

I'm sorry, I just don't think it's right to recommend keeping any animal in a small jug. It's equivalent to keeping a puppy in a hamster cage.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM

I have to agree with Sasami. Leaving any size fish in a 2L jug is cruel. The larger the tank, the more room for the waste to dissolve and more room for the creature to live. I'd like to see someone live inside a studio apartment with windows that don't open, air that's only moved a couple times a week and they can never leave.
Treat your fish like an extention of your family - because that's what it is. I wish they would stop selling those "betta tanks" - I'd like to know how the idea ever came to be that these fish require no heat, no bubbles, no space and no attention!!
*rawr* Sorry, but this is a topic that steams my broccoli!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiragweed View Post
Sorry, but this is a topic that steams my broccoli!
*laughs* That's a great phrase. I will only support those kinds of tanks for bettas, "goldfish bowls" I wish would go out of style. The reason why I'm ok with betta tanks is because of how they live in the wild. As long as my little men are making bubble nests, I'm ok with how they live. If you're not, s'aright, it's your opinion
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
*laughs* That's a great phrase. I will only support those kinds of tanks for bettas, "goldfish bowls" I wish would go out of style. The reason why I'm ok with betta tanks is because of how they live in the wild. As long as my little men are making bubble nests, I'm ok with how they live. If you're not, s'aright, it's your opinion
How they live in the wild? This is where they live in the wild: http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com/p...rice_paddy.jpg

Although rice paddies are "shallow" compared to say, the ocean, they are much deeper then any standard aquarium.

I think people have this belief that they live in "puddles"...when it's not true.

Just because a fish can SURVIVE somewhere doesn't mean it's best. You could live in a closet your whole life but you won't be happy.

(By the way, bubble nests do not always mean a betta is "happy". I've seen sickly fish in dirty pet store cups blow nests. Humans have no sure way of measuring "happiness" in a fish.)

I've made the mistake too. I kept a betta in a 1-gallon for several months. Now I keep them in 5 or 10-gallons and there IS a huge difference.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
How they live in the wild? This is where they live in the wild: http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com/p...rice_paddy.jpg

Although rice paddies are "shallow" compared to say, the ocean, they are much deeper then any standard aquarium.

I think people have this belief that they live in "puddles"...when it's not true.

Just because a fish can SURVIVE somewhere doesn't mean it's best. You could live in a closet your whole life but you won't be happy.

(By the way, bubble nests do not always mean a betta is "happy". I've seen sickly fish in dirty pet store cups blow nests. Humans have no sure way of measuring "happiness" in a fish.)

I've made the mistake too. I kept a betta in a 1-gallon for several months. Now I keep them in 5 or 10-gallons and there IS a huge difference.
All I have to say is: Ditto
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

my 3 bettas

I have 3 beautiful bettas. I have kept them before with some success and like others thought it was okay to keep them in small bowls/pitchers/etc, but now I have them each in a ten gallon tank, and it's like Wow I had no idea betta fish could be like this. My females dart and swim and play constantly. Even my male is more active than any other I've had. They have brighter colors and they display more of their natural behavior. They have much better appetites than the fish I kept in smaller containers and it's just amazing to watch them thrive this way. Before this experience I would have agreed with Zookeeper that it was fine to keep them in tight spaces but now that I've seen the huge difference it makes I'm never going back from ten gallons.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh and they're all kept around 75-80 degrees F with weekly water changes too. I also alternate their food between freeze dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp and they're just soooo marvelously happy!!!

I'm trying to get them conditioned for breeding so I have them in ten gallons with heat and good food and regular water changes side by side so that the male can see the females. I have been seeing them blow out their gills at eachother and do pretty little fin dances and he's been making bubble nests and deciding they're not good enough and dashing through them and building new ones. I had no idea bettas could be this interesting!

Tags
aquarium salt, betta fish, bigger tank, blood worms, brine shrimp, hamster cage, life cycle, pet store, white spots