Sick Betta Stopped Eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy Sick Betta Stopped Eating

I've had my female betta fish, Ling-Ling, for almost 2 weeks now. About 5 days ago I thought I saw something on her body, later I noticed it was a white dot, so I went out and bought Quick-Cure, which I treated her with for 3 days (today's the first day of non treatment). Yesterday, I noticed she didn't eat as much as she had been (she normally is very active with a very healthy appetite) & today she's really not eating at all, and her energy seems drained (though she is still swimming at the top of the tank). The white spot on the bottom of her body has not gone away, although no more of them have appeared. I'm worried about her. What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Hello Earthling

What is the water quality, tank size and set up etc...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM
is a little "special"

What exactly do the meds you bought treat? Is it really general, or is it for a specific disease?
And after you answer Kaylas question, we will be able to help alot more.
For now, try adding some aqaurium salt, and if you have a heater, turn up the temp to about 80-82*F. This will help kill any infections.
To get him to start eating, try some frozen or live bloodworms or brine shrimp. They can go for weeks without eating, so he will be just fine as long as you treat his white spots, since thats probably why he wont eat. It sounds like he might have fungus or ick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with the above posters, we really need more information to help. But here's what I would suggest:

-Get your water tested asap. Make sure you have ZERO ammonia and nitrites.
-Do a partial water change.
-Make sure the temperature in the tank is normal (heaters do malfunction sometimes).

I wouldn't recommend medicating her until you know exactly what's wrong. Could you maybe get a picture of her spot?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy

I have trouble with her ammonia levels. I get it down & then in two days, it's back up again. I've done water changes regularly & everything. Her heater lately isn't as effective as it used to be; the temperature keeps fluctuating. The pH level is normal, though. She still hasn't eaten, & the other day it got really bad. She was trying to swim up & kept falling back down. The past two days, she's barely moved at all. Her back fin looked bad the other day, but then it got better. I've basically prepared myself to say goodbye to her. I'm really surprised she's still alive. All she really does is move her side fins, but she doesn't really go anywhere. Every few hours, I'll look over & she's moved an inch or so, but that's it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy

New update: I used a gravel vacuum and changed her water again today & she's now more active, but she won't eat still, the parasite has gotten bigger & the scales by her face are a coppery color.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

In a stable, healthy tank there should be NO ammonia. So something is going on.

What size is the tank? If the aquarium is too small then ammonia will build up really fast. What sort of filtration do you have and was the tank cycled first? (I realize the tank isn't cycled now since otherwise there wouldn't be spikes--but were you trying to cycle it?)

Live plants will also help with the ammonia. Try some java ferns or hornwort.

Unfortunately, until you get rid of the ammonia she's not going to get better . Good luck! Keep doing water changes, that's what's keeping her alive right now (you're literally removing ammonia).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

It's a 5 gallon tank. The ammonia level has been a lot better since I did that last water change, but it tends to start out that way, so we'll see. I just got her a filter that's only for a 3 gallon tank 'cause I heard bettas don't like current, but I took the carbon out so it won't eat her medication. I was trying to cycle it when I noticed this disease. I started a different medication today, since the Quick Cure didn't work. I have her on Coppersafe with BettaFix as an anti biotic. I can't see more than 2-3 inches into her water, but she's actually a lot more active after just the few hours it's been in. I also replaced her heater, & while it's not up to the temperature I set it at, it's warmer than before & the packaging said to wait 24 hours to see if it gets there before worrying.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The reason the ammonia keeps spiking is because the tank is new and lacks the beneficial bacteria that usually remove it. When you do a water change, you're physically removing ammonia. But it'll just build back up again. That's why you need to do daily water changes right now in order to keep it down. Hopefully the tank will start to cycle soon . Is Tetra Smart Start (or whatever it's called, haha) available in your area? It'll really speed up the cycling process (it can actually cycle tanks overnight).

~Stephanie

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks! I'll call some local pet stores & see if they have it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Update!! Help!!

So it's been a month since I first posted, & while Ling-Ling's lethargy stopped & she's eating properly, the white dot on the bottom of her body between her head and her bottom fin is still there. I just recently (within the past week) stopped the medication & put the carbon back in her filter. She seems happy, as she's blowing many bubbles at the top of her tank, BUT:

The area of her body where the white dot is seems to have grown a lot. I thought maybe I've been feeding her too much, although what's weird about it is she looks almost pregnant (which isn't possible, as she has never had any contact with a male betta or water a male betta has been swimming in). In the bloated-looking area, it's like white is beginning to show through her naturally blue scales. She's acting fine (although a couple times, she swam around the tank so rapidly it was hard to keep track of her-this may be normal, though, as I am home more lately than before & may just never have taken notice to this?), but I just want to catch anything before it gets too severe. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by keychange; 12-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Hello Earthling

Do female betta's make bubble nests??

Are you sure she is a she and not a he?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by keychange View Post
So it's been a month since I first posted, & while Ling-Ling's lethargy stopped & she's eating properly, the white dot on the bottom of her body between her head and her bottom fin is still there. I just recently (within the past week) stopped the medication & put the carbon back in her filter. She seems happy, as she's blowing many bubbles at the top of her tank, BUT:

The area of her body where the white dot is seems to have grown a lot. I thought maybe I've been feeding her too much, although what's weird about it is she looks almost pregnant (which isn't possible, as she has never had any contact with a male betta or water a male betta has been swimming in). In the bloated-looking area, it's like white is beginning to show through her naturally blue scales. She's acting fine (although a couple times, she swam around the tank so rapidly it was hard to keep track of her-this may be normal, though, as I am home more lately than before & may just never have taken notice to this?), but I just want to catch anything before it gets too severe. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Would it be at all possible to get a picture? The only thing I can think of at the top of my head is egg binding but hopefully that isn't the case. It's just hard to picture it based on the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Do female betta's make bubble nests??

Are you sure she is a she and not a he?
Sometimes they do. It's rare, but it does happen.

Of course, it's always possible that the betta isn't a female and is actually a male plakat (which have short fins).

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Another update!!!!

Sorry, it's been a while, but I have another update. Ok, so her body no longer looks bloated (I think I was overfeeding her), but the white dot is still there & now, on the right side of her body, it looks like she's missing scales & it's been getting progressively worse. The weird thing is, she's acting like nothing's wrong. She's swimming about at the top of her tank, eating properly, & generally seems pretty happy. Her eyes, however, look cloudy & bloated. I looked at some pictures of popeye & it doesn't seem like she has that (it's been several days & it's nowhere near that severe). I tried taking some pictures with my cell phone, but they all came out pretty blurry & you can't really see anything from it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How are your water parameters at the moment? Is the ammonia under control?

~Stephanie

Tags
betta, low energy, not eating, sick