Sickly Betta.. ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Sickly Betta.. ?

So my 3 year old crowntail male betta is down. I was away for a few days, and had recently made the change and added a few "lifelike" rocks to his tank, they were supposedly "aquatic". Well three days and algae has bombarded his tank, every nook and cranny was covered. I immediately after coming home did a tank cleaning, but I think he may have acquired fin rot in those three days of filthiness. So tonight I did another thourough cleaning, scalded all his decor and got new marble-like aqua stones for him, just in case some parasites had long-lasted. But, he is still down. Laying in the same corner of the tank, lifeless. His tail is bunched up in places, and dissappearing in others, which is why i've concluded through research, that it's finrot. He is also panting, down in that lonely corner. I have my space heater on his tank right now, in hopes of raising his temperature to at LEAST 80 degrees, for I know the warmer, the better, especially when trying to heal a betta. Mind you, I know when hot is too hot. He hasn't eaten in days. I plan on going to the pet store tomorrow and buying BettaFix, but when it comes to my fish, I prefer the less "chemical" way. So I've put aquarium salt in his tank for the night, to try and ease some of his discomfort. So i'm looking for some advice on maybe another, less chemical-dependant way to heal him, or a recommended medicine maybe. I know its tricky when it comes to determining fish ailments. He flares up at his reflection before he goes to bed, so I know he's still in there somewhere, I just want him to be better, and back to his lively, swimmy self. Please help! :/
-Distressed Fishy Owner

-kayleen- <3
Tigger Jersey Komet Pickle [my kitties]
Kaida
[crowntail betta]
Temperance [bearded dragon]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- click to help me grow! :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

So I did a treatment of bettafix today; and also got my lil guy a moss ball to help keep algae under control; and he's up and about; and had some brine shrimp. Finally, some relief for him.

-kayleen- <3
Tigger Jersey Komet Pickle [my kitties]
Kaida
[crowntail betta]
Temperance [bearded dragon]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- click to help me grow! :]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What's his aquarium set-up like? Have you gotten your water tested? How often do you normally do water changes?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Newborn Pup

Like what Sasami mentioned, you should check your water weekly at the most. Adding the Bettafix solution was smart, they usually help sick betta. Possibly switching his diet around a bit and spicing it up will make him eat agian. Try to keep him in one spot, less stressed as possible, and plenty of patience.

Tags
finrot, lethargic, lifeless, noteating