Smaller Fish Tanks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Smaller Fish Tanks

I know I have to research first, but really I have absolutely no clue so far as to what to look for.

I want to buy a fish tank, preferably a small one, like a 1.5 gallon or a 5 gallon.

I kind of wanted to get the kind that came with everything like this one

Maybe not spongebob, but you get the idea.

My question is, what (if any) kind of fish can be in this tank? If only one can stay in there, what kind of fish do okay being alone?

I don't want the fish to be cramped, but I don't want to keep a fish alone if they do better in groups. I'm not really picky about fish because I tend to like them all. I really just want an idea for a tank that would be easy to take care of. Cost isn't a huge factor, but I'd rather have something that is kind of on the cheaper side.

Like I said I want an idea on what kind of fish, and tank, and probably food, so I can know of something to look for if I do decide to get a tank. Thanks!!

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Title Thief Victim

Well I have a 5 gallon tank, I cant remember what its call but ill post a pic later...if you want...Well It say a 1 gallon is to small for anything other than a betta...for a 5 gallon you can have 2 maybe 5 goldfish.. because Tropical fish need a heater and a filter and these tanks are to small for a heater and it depends on the typa filter you have it it will fit. and tropical fish need alot of space, I have a 30 gallon with like 10 Tropical fish in it.

But it stick with Goldfish. not the huge kind though. Hope i helped alittle bit.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I was thinking maybe a betta and another fish...

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Title Thief Victim

this is what I have..but in Purple! I had a betta in it but he died, so im getting 2 fancy tailed gold fish

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=9201&

Carissasaurus Rex

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Title Thief Victim

Well betta's tend to be agrissive towards other fish, I have one that ate my gold fish, but then another one that ate all but one fish...he like that fish.. you could try it but results may very lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Leo

The minimum size tank you should have for keeping 2 goldfish is a 30 gallon tank to allow for proper growth and a long healthy life. A 5 gallon tank is WAY too small for 2-5 goldfish and you will not successfully keep them in those conditions... Goldfish are very dirty fish and in a 5 gallon tank you would have to be doing water changes 2-3 times a weeks to avoid having to much ammonia in the tank. 5 gallons might be ok as a temporary home for 1 (less than a month) but you still risk having issues with their growth in the future.

Betta's:
The minimum needed to house a Betta is 1 gallon .... Betta's usually like to live alone so I wouldn't recommend anything besides maybe a snail as a tank mate to one. House mates too small will become food for the Betta, get a fish that is nippy (like barbs) and they will nip the Betta's fins .... Betta's like to live in a slower moving environment with little water motion so they really are best kept as the only fish. with a slower moving filtration system (no air bubblers)..... if you keep a Betta in a tank with 1 gallon of water be prepared to clean it 1-2 times a week...The temperature in the tank must be between 74 and 82 degrees F and are best at 78-82. The pH must be between 6.0 and 8.0 neutral is better.

Food: quoted from a fish forum
Quote:
No flakes, Betta hate flakes, they may learn to eat them but they will always hate them.
Pellets, they are okay but they loose their nutritional value over time so get them is small amounts. Some have to be soaked first or are just too big and some Betta will not eat pellets.
Bloodworms, Betta love blood worms, you can feed them frozen, freeze dried or live and your betta will love you.
Other food choices are tubfex worms, daphnia, and brine shrimp (live frozen or freeze dried) and live foods such as blackworms and wingless fruit flies and others.
(all of this is assuming your betta is an adult)
A betta should be given a varity or foods, atleast 2-3 different kinds of food every week. You should skip feed one day a week to let their system cleanse itself to prevent swimbladder. A constipated betta may also be fed 1/4 or a clean, skinless, thawed frozen pea to help digestion.
DO not over feed or you will cause swimbladder and other problems for your betta, this is especially important for double tails.
If for some reason you would be unable to feed your betta for a few days, as long as it isn't too often, don't worry about it as betta are fine waiting a few days too eat, just don't wait too long and give them a good meal before hand.
You could attempt to keep the 1 betta in the tank with a live plant and a snail and I think that would be a great tank, but if you are looking for more of a community tank (more than 1 fish 1 more than 1 species) I would go with a 10 gallon full setup and try tropicals there is a wider selection of fish that will fit into that size tank.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
for a 5 gallon you can have 2 maybe 5 goldfish
WHOA! That is not even close! The rule of thumb is 2 gallon of tank for 1 inch of a goldfish, at the very least.

Only thing I would put in a 5 gallon or less is a snail or 2 and a plant.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Like posted above, goldfish would most definately not work. A betta would be better but remember to get a small heater since they are tropical fish.

To be honest, a 1-gallon is very small for any fish...even bettas would prefer more room. You also can't exactly cycle an aquarium that size safely which means you'll have to do a complete water change every week (and possibly partial changes in the middle of the week).

I would go with the 5-gallon...you have more options that way and it's a more stable enviorment. Some fancy guppies would look nice and they are hardy, attractive fish. A pair of platies might be ok if you do a lot of water changes. A single betta would be great and maybe get an apple snail or a pair of african dwarf frogs as tankmates? A small group of Pygmy Cory Cats would be fine too. Cherry Barbs and Zebra Danios are other options. And of course killifish would be fine. Keep in mind that in a 5-gallon you can only have a few fish and unless you really know what you're doing I would under-stock. Remember to never slack off on water changes either.

If you still want an even smaller tank then I'd look at the 2.5-gallon Mini-Bow or the 3-gallon Eclipse. Both would be perfect homes for a single betta. The Mini-Bow comes with a crappy filter, though. But that doesn't matter if you want a betta since they don't need filteration...they actually hate strong water currents.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 AM

I had a 55 gallon until recently. Anyway, In it was my betta, tetras, etc. Plus 2 african dwarf frogs. Well, there was never any problems with the fish and betta BUT my dwarf frogs would sometimes grap onto the bettas tail! They would hang on and the betta would flip out. This was in a 55 so I don't know if it would work for a 5. Maybe my frogs were crazy, though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
I had a 55 gallon until recently. Anyway, In it was my betta, tetras, etc. Plus 2 african dwarf frogs. Well, there was never any problems with the fish and betta BUT my dwarf frogs would sometimes grap onto the bettas tail! They would hang on and the betta would flip out. This was in a 55 so I don't know if it would work for a 5. Maybe my frogs were crazy, though.
Some frogs are just a bit more aggressive which is why it can be hit or miss sometimes. There are also some bettas who will decide they are a tasty snack!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM

It was funny and sad at the same time, lol. It only happend a couple times.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM

I think you should do some research on some websites for small aquariums setups, because while wellmeaning, on a forum your going to get like, 15 different opinions on how a tiny little aquarium should be setup.

Personally, I think 5 gallons is plenty big for fish, I know because I have one and my fish are doing great and have been for over a year. I think they would have died by now if they were being poisoned by ammonia or whatever else. I have a regular goldfish and fancy black goldfish (this small ones) and a placo in a 5 gallon. Sure, it takes work. We change the filter and (try to remember) to vacuum the gravel every weekend.

Don't get too caught up in the rules, just have fun. The most important things are to keep it clean and don't put fish together that are gonna kill each other.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM

I would get a 5 gallon. Its a lot eaiser to maintain, and if possible go bigger. Goldfish need about 10-15 per fish, so i would NOT do goldfish, they are to much work (coming from a person that has 15). So I would stick with trops. unless you can get a very big tank. I would get a betta and snails, maybe a DWARF frog.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

the only kind of things I have seen work in one gallon tanks are dwarf frogs and that is only if you keep one to the tank and you reguarly clean it out once a week at that. Betta usually do much, much better in 2 gallons, I just learend that the hard way since my mom suprised me with buying me a new betta and tank but he was constantly zooming around of the walls trying to look around when he really couldn't I moved him to my old 2.3 gallon tank and he much calmer and happier now.
I am actually thinking of going and picking up a little African Dwarf Frog to put in the one gal. Which should be just fine...and that should be gobs of space for him.
But if you want something well sized for a betta then look at getting 2 gal. its not the best thing for them but they can be perfectly happy in them just remember to clean it once a week though.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

the only kind of things I have seen work in one gallon tanks are dwarf frogs and that is only if you keep one to the tank and you reguarly clean it out once a week at that. Betta usually do much, much better in 2 gallons, I just learend that the hard way since my mom suprised me with buying me a new betta and tank but he was constantly zooming around of the walls trying to look around when he really couldn't I moved him to my old 2.3 gallon tank and he much calmer and happier now.
I am actually thinking of going and picking up a little African Dwarf Frog to put in the one gal. Which should be just fine...and that should be gobs of space for him.
But if you want something well sized for a betta then look at getting 2 gal. its not the best thing for them but they can be perfectly happy in them just remember to clean it once a week though.
Closed Thread

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, blood worms, brine shrimp, cherry barbs, cory cats, dwarf frogs, fish tank, gold fish, tropical fish