snail eating fish..? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

snail eating fish..?

Are there any fish that will nibble some snails, but not bother my guppies in the 29gal tank? David thinks theres too many snails in the tank now.. but ive seen much worse. i kinda like them, especially charmin (our first snail who is still atleast 3 times the size of the others) But i would kinda like to add another fish or 2 in with the guppies/corys. or maybe just a fish that would be happy in a 10gal tank? suggestions? ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hmm, what kind of snails are they? Are you talking about the little tiny ones that have a spiraly kind of shell?
I know that clown loaches do a very good job keeping the snail population down. I bought two loaches just for that purpose and they did an amazing job and now i have almost no snails. Sometimes i will see a few but they never over run the tank like they did before. I never bought snails for the tank but they came along with some live plants that i purchased for the tank. They reproduced like crazy til i got the clown loaches. They do such a good job cuz they can really get underneath in between the rocks and caves and such to get at them.
They do best with another clown loach as a friend. They are very beautiful and funny too.

Here is a good link with info on them. I really like this website. Gives lotz of info on lotz of different fish.

Your New Clown Loach***************** Info

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How many guppies do you have?

Clown loaches eat snails but they grow too large for a 29-gallon...they get to be a foot long!

Kuhli loaches sometimes eat snails but not all do. The Dario Botia Loach is usually a better choice but they are trickier to find. Loaches usually prefer to live in groups, by the way.

Puffers are the best snail eaters but they don't mix well with guppies. You could always set up a dwarf puffer tank and take the snails from the main one to feed them . Of course, I think everyone should have a dwarf puffer tank at least once .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Right now we only have 3 guppies, and 2 corys,i want more, but i haven't seen any more with tails as fancy as the ones we have.

is a dwarf puffer the same as the green spotted puffer? they had those at walmart once, they were really cute, could one live in a 10tank, or would that be too small? Also, dont they need brackish water? im not really sure how to do all that. one would be cool tho, they cant really live with anything else right?

My Furry Family
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

ok i did some reading.. what little information i could find says that dwarf puffers are totally freshwater, and any salt would do more harm than good.. tank size isnt really clear, some sites say 30gal min, and some say 5 gal min and everywhere in between, do you think one puffer would be ok in a 10gal tank?

My Furry Family
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You could actually have a few dwarf puffers in a 10-gallon...just don't get more then one male.

They are pretty tiny...sometimes it takes me a while to find mine . And he's in a 5-gallon.

Yeah, they are totally freshwater and need a heavily planted tank. You can have mostly fake plants but I'd get at least a few hardy live ones if possible.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

would one be lonely? alot of the sites i read said multiple puffers could get along great when where young, but kill eachother off later on

i dont think anyone around here sells them, i think i'll ask the lady in weatherford if she would ever have them, or else i might just order them from somewhere, i signed up to get an email notification when foster&smith gets some in, have you ever ordered fish offline?

My Furry Family
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

With dwarf puffers the keys to having them get along are lots of plants, sticking to just one male and a few females, and lots of plants. Yes, I know I said "lots of plants" twice . It really is important!

One won't get lonely, though. Mine has the whole tank to himself.

Nope, I've never gotten fish online directly. There were times where I was supposed to but things went wrong and I could no longer take the fish. I will be ordering from a breeder when I get back from vacation, though .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Uh-oh...

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Indian Dwarf Puffer

so tempting.. when i first posted this thread they were out of stock.. and i thought i put for them to email me when they got more but they didn't.. i was checking prices on other things on the site so i jus happen to check.. and they have some.. i'm sooo tempted to order some.. i was gonna want till after we move to get one.. especially since ive never ordered a fish before.. but.. there so cute.. and well.. yeah.. im not sure if i should order one now or wait till we move.. i know im sure its gonna be a pain in the butt to move the guppy tank.. but on the other hand.. we have a nice lil 10gal tank, all ready, with nothing but snails in it.. heh i dunno..

My Furry Family

Tags
tropical fish