Snails appeared in my tank!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Snails appeared in my tank!?!

AH!

So I have been setting up a planted tank in my 55 gallon, transporting plants and substrate in there and such. I wake up today and look at the tank real closely and find...

BABY SNAILS!

Ah! They're everywhere! Well, not really. I have only found prob 5 alive ones, all others are dead, mostly dried up above the water line. Isn't that crazy?!! The eggs or something must have hitched a ride on some plants, or the substrate! Guess that's what I get for getting plants from petco! Thanks for the free snails!

So how should I care for them? They seem to be dying above the water line...and I see some heading up there now since I've turned on the filter. There aren't any fish in there just yet. Should I push them back down into the water? Should I not run the filter? hmmm.

On a side note, they are so cool. Only one has close to a full-formed shell, the others just have clear shells at this point. I want them to live!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

crap.... doing some research, I hear that these snails can easily take over the tank, and I def don't want that to happen. What is the best plan of action? PLEASE help.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Playful Pup

Well if you like the snails, you could try transporting them to a smaller tank. That way they can take something else over.

Reminds me of when I was in 5th grade though, I was doing a science project on the effects of phosphates in the water system. I bought plants from the local pet shop and my jars had little snails in them when I brought them to school, and I hadn't even known they were there for a good 2 weeks! There's always little surprises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I do like them, I wouldn't mind a few, but what Ive heard is that these guys can breed by themselves, easily taking over a tank. I wouldn't mind getting something that will eat them, I just am not done planting everything so I dont really want to add fish just yet. BLEGH

But maybe they'll all die by themselves...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

For some reason, snails have a horrible rep. And there are indeed some plant-munching species (when yours are big enough to ID, let me know and I'll help). But in general, I find them to be beneficial. They'll take care of un-eaten food and algae.

It's true that they have the potential to multiply and "take over". But for some reason people tend to forget about a basic fact: snails can't survive and multiply without food. If snails are totally taking over an aquarium, they must be getting the food from somewhere. In other words, the tank isn't being kept clean/the animals in the tank are over-fed. A well-maintained aquarium shouldn't have a long-term snail invasion since the snail population is going to be proportional to the amount of food.

My advice would be to try to ID the snails and do nothing. Don't go nuts trying to kill them but don't encourage them, either. If you like them but are nervous about a possible invasion (do remember, though, that they can't usually harm anything even if they do multiply), remove them and maybe keep them in a separate container/small aquarium for fun .

I personally leave hitchhiker snails alone in my own tanks and have never had them totally invade. The populations do sometimes grow but that's usually followed by a die-off since there's not enough food to support so many snails. Although right now I don't have any tanks with snails--my bettas seem to enjoy eating them .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, we'll see how many I end up with in a couple weeks. Right now they're all so small I'm not sure how many there are, and how many will survive. I guess I won't worry about it until then!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Newborn Pup

I hate snails. Try to find a fish you like that will eat them.

Got Fish:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Playful Pup

If you have fish in the same tank, do not over feed the fish, the snails should be minimal.
Snails will 'escape' with dirty water, chlorinated water, too hot or suddenly cold water, etc. They usually do not need any extra care.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Playful Pup

Ha ha, if you don't want them, the best answer is a sucker fish! They will get rid of them...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover2011 View Post
Ha ha, if you don't want them, the best answer is a sucker fish! They will get rid of them...

Plecos (assuming that's what you mean by "sucker fish") don't eat snails.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Playful Pup

Oh, I'm not sure what breed of suckerfish I had, but they definitely ate the see-through water snails. I had quite a few of these snails in a tank of mine and the suckerfish ate them all within a few days.

They were cute little snails, and it's a shame they died. I believe they weren't the type that bred rapidly, as they never came back. The suckerfish I have must have been vicious Aussie ones!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover2011 View Post
Oh, I'm not sure what breed of suckerfish I had, but they definitely ate the see-through water snails. I had quite a few of these snails in a tank of mine and the suckerfish ate them all within a few days.

They were cute little snails, and it's a shame they died. I believe they weren't the type that bred rapidly, as they never came back. The suckerfish I have must have been vicious Aussie ones!
Well, "suckerfish" is a pretty general term...I'm assuming you had a loach of some kind, then. A lot of loach species will eat snails. I suppose it could have also been a Chinese algae eater--those guys will eat anything when they're predatory adults .

~Stephanie

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Playful Pup

I think you're right. I just wiki'd a loach and it definitely looks like what I had. I think the Cobitis biwae is the closest to what I had...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Newborn Pup

get some clown loaches (botia macracantha) - their natural diet includes snails
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

If ever you need to dispose of snails try not to flush them into sewer systems, etc. because then they can become a bigger problem in lakes and rivers. Another way to deal with them is find a friend with a water turtle like a red eared slider and they will become a nutritous meal. (blech) Otherwise, a few snails in a tank is very natural looking. Good Luck

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option

Tags
baby snails