snails are wanting to overrun platy tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

snails are wanting to overrun platy tank

I have 6 platys (5 girls and 1 male) and I just noticed these tiny snails are like everywhere. Its not horrible bad yet but I did some research and it says they can overpopulate a tank real fast. Now I don't want anything that will harm my platys. I adore them so much. I was told by a friend an assassin snail would work and also certain loaches. I am unsure of what to do. But I have no problem going out tomorrow and picking up a snail OR a loach. I know some loaches get big so i would need help from someone. Someone to tell me which loaches would be safe to get. Also they would be in with platys. I dont worry about my platys attacking anything because they are so peaceful (well Calypso chases the other girls but thats another story lol). So which should I get? Which would be safer for my platys? Or does it not matter?

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i suppose it would be a good idea to tell you what size tank i have lol. My platys are in a high 20 gallon.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well I am trying to do research and I found dwarf loaches are endangered and really expensive so thats out. I really like them too, they are so cute. I think I might get a couple assassin snails and leave it at that.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Snails can't hurt your platies and can actually be somewhat beneficial (they'll eat uneaten fish food before it has a chance to rot, stir your gravel, clean the glass, etc.). So I wouldn't freak out and try to get rid of them unless they really bother you or you have live plants (some pest snails eat live plants, some don't...depends on the species of snail).

I'm not a fan of adding more animals to a tank just to take care of a problem like that and I personally wouldn't add assassin snails or loaches at this point. The thing is, snails don't just appear out of thin air. In order to breed, they're going to need to eat. If there's enough uneaten food and debris for them to multiply out of control, something is wrong with the balance. You need to do more water changes, limit the amount of food you throw in the tank, and vacuum the gravel more thoroughly. That, IMO, is the best way to control a snail population like that.

If you're desperate to get rid of them really fast, any copper-based medication/snail killer will kill them quickly. Just keep in mind, though, that copper will kill other invertebrates (shrimp, crabs, etc.) too and harm certain plants. Once you've used copper in a tank, you should never add invertebrates, even after cleaning the whole tank out. A small amount can kill. There are also a few fish that are sensitive to copper (cory cats and loaches, for example). Be careful in using any chemicals.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I didn't want to use chemicals. I read online these tiny snails can kill fish if the tank gets overpopulated. I try not to give my platys lots of food, I guess I am and never knew it. I got this tank from someone who just wanted rid of her fish. I rehomed most of the fish (mollies, algae eater, swordtail ect.) I kept the 1 platy she did have, the ADF and the 3 adolfo cories. She had live plants but i got rid of them. I know nothing about keeping live plants in tanks. I cleaned and vaccumed out the tank and the gravel she had in the tank as well. She said she was notorious for over feeding her fish. The platy i got from her is ridiculously overweight. My other platys are normal weight. Anyways, I thought an assassin snail would get rid of these tiny snails but I am unsure of what to do now.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratprincess777 View Post
I didn't want to use chemicals. I read online these tiny snails can kill fish if the tank gets overpopulated. I try not to give my platys lots of food, I guess I am and never knew it. I got this tank from someone who just wanted rid of her fish. I rehomed most of the fish (mollies, algae eater, swordtail ect.) I kept the 1 platy she did have, the ADF and the 3 adolfo cories. She had live plants but i got rid of them. I know nothing about keeping live plants in tanks. I cleaned and vaccumed out the tank and the gravel she had in the tank as well. She said she was notorious for over feeding her fish. The platy i got from her is ridiculously overweight. My other platys are normal weight. Anyways, I thought an assassin snail would get rid of these tiny snails but I am unsure of what to do now.
They physically can't kill your platies, they're tiny. What could they do?

Technically, if your tank got completely over-run and then there was a die-off, it could cause an ammonia spike which in turn could harm your fish. But if it got to that point, you were probably going to have a crash already.

My advice would be to remove (by hand) snails as you're changing the water and make sure you vacuum the gravel really well. Cut back on feeding for a bit, too, and see what happens. Make sure you don't have anything rotting in the tank (like a dead plant leaf from the previous owner). Clean out your filter, too, in case the sponge is getting really dirty (I'd clean it in tank water and on a different day than your regular water change).

See what happens after all that. If the population stays where it is or goes down, don't bother adding more animals. Also keep in mind that it's natural for populations like that to spike or drop sometimes. As long as it's not consistently out of control, you're fine. You seem like someone who's maintaining the tank well so I can't see it getting too bad .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

awww thanks I try my best for my fishies. I had to learn alot real quick when I rescued 2 baby platys. This person said she wanted them dead. She wasnt feed them either. They were left in a small tank with green water and lots of fish poo. The tiny boy passed away but the girl is growing real good now. This was months ago. Well I read that platys like company. Especially since it was only 1 girl and 1 boy. But my platys are doing wonderful. I really wanted to get at least 2 more platys. My one passed away a few weeks back. She was a redtail white calico and so beautiful. I really want an assassin snail though. Would it be bad just to add 1 anyways? I think they are cute lol.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
awww thanks I try my best for my fishies. I had to learn alot real quick when I rescued 2 baby platys. This person said she wanted them dead. She wasnt feed them either. They were left in a small tank with green water and lots of fish poo. The tiny boy passed away but the girl is growing real good now. This was months ago. Well I read that platys like company. Especially since it was only 1 girl and 1 boy. But my platys are doing wonderful. I really wanted to get at least 2 more platys. My one passed away a few weeks back. She was a redtail white calico and so beautiful. I really want an assassin snail though. Would it be bad just to add 1 anyways? I think they are cute lol.
If you're interested, yeah, I don't see why not . They're relatively hardy and easy to care for. But like most invertebrates, they can be sensitive to poor water quality and/or contaminants (like heavy metals) so test your water first to make sure everything's ok and acclimate slowly.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok will do It might be awhile because I went to the pet store today and no snails. So I might just have to wait but thats ok.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
ok will do It might be awhile because I went to the pet store today and no snails. So I might just have to wait but thats ok.
You won't find assassin snails at your average pet store, they're actually kind of new to the pet trade. Try a speciality fish store or see if a store can order some.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Newborn Pup

clown loaches will eat your snails
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would go with manually removing them by hand to control them, there is actually food chain there but over population of one specie is probably not healthy..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
platy, snails